PDA

View Full Version : real time movements over the Netherlands

vanHorck
14th Nov 2009, 17:40
Perhaps this is old hat, if so, I apologize. But i was amazed to see this, tried to get it to work for the Uk but that doesn't seem to work (yet), but perhaps still a nice link for the Dutchies here

Casper - live aircraft tracking (http://casper.frontier.nl/)

1800ed
14th Nov 2009, 18:21
Mode S put to use?

vanHorck
14th Nov 2009, 19:03
must be, could explain the lack of GA...... at least around Schiphol where their use is prohibited till june 2010...

IO540
14th Nov 2009, 20:29
This could be somebody having done a web front for an ADS-B receiver. Not too hard I am sure.

Or it could be a web front for the service which Eurocontrol offers, for its IFR flights only.

It flies
15th Nov 2009, 10:50
IO540 is right. Clicking on the 'More Info' tab shows it displays data collected from an ADS-B receiver on the roof of the Frontier building (the developers office) in Haarlem.

Neatly done though. It looks even better with satellite photos selected as background.

vanHorck
15th Nov 2009, 10:59
somebody would need to talk to these people to expand this throughout Europe, I think it is very well done!

Has anybody checked their own recent flight over Holland already? Or are GA filtered out?

IO540
15th Nov 2009, 11:07
If your transponder is an Elementary Mode S then it is not allowed to radiate lat/long.

Only an Enhanced Mode S installation can do that.

So light GA will generally now show up. A TBM700 should though.

However, there are numerous N-reg GA planes in Europe that have a "normal" Mode S installation and they radiate all parameters presented to the transponder's RS232 or ARINC inputs. The ELS/EHS distinction is a purely artificial (and stupid) EASA invention and has no relevance to the actual equipment that is used (e.g. a GTX330) ;)

BackPacker
15th Nov 2009, 11:17
I've seen a similar discussion elsewhere and for instance Fokker-50s radiate only elementary mode-S, so they're not visible with an ADS-B receiver.

Fuji Abound
15th Nov 2009, 11:46
To see what can be done from a different world look here:

ShipAIS (http://www.shipais.com/index.php)

There is already cover over a significant part of the world and includes suitably equipted private vessels equivalent to light aircraft.

vanHorck
25th Nov 2009, 07:43
I had contact with the manufacturer about using it at flight schools.

I guess in theory all mode S transponders should be trackable in some way, even without some additional info although the Dutch system does not display them.

The manufacturer is happy to provide a license for (almost) free to the first flying club who wishes to implement the system. In all he expects the total installation cost including receiver, old pc, the license to cost no more than about 700 euros.

If a club could make it to work they could track their own planes, parachute clubs could keep an eye on their drop zone etc.

To me it sounds like the future of flying clubs (RAC, interested?)

Interested clubs can PM me and I ll put them in touch with the guy i ve been emailing with