PDA

View Full Version : QXC CPL

PAPI 32
13th Nov 2009, 09:01
Hi. For the QXC towards your CPL do you have to land at the airfield you started from?

Planning on flying to the Isle of Scilly. It's about 400nm for me so I'll stop at least twice for fuel

I've searched the forums but couldn't find any information.

Regards. Sam

Halfbaked_Boy
13th Nov 2009, 09:18
No you don't, just remember it must be completed within 24 hours also :)

jxc
13th Nov 2009, 18:02
and mark it in the log book as CPL QXC

Shunter
13th Nov 2009, 20:21
It's about 400nm for me so I'll stop at least twice for fuelReally?! I did it from Leeds with 1 stop for coffee and a leg-stretch, then fueled up at Lands End on the way back. You get a whole lot more MPG if you use the red knob...

PAPI 32
14th Nov 2009, 08:22
I could to it one but I'm making the stops so the flight's will qualify!

BackPacker
14th Nov 2009, 08:54
I could to it one but I'm making the stops so the flight's will qualify!

I've been wondering about whether some of my flights would qualify too.

Here's the requirements from LASORS:

20 hours cross country flight time as Pilot-
in-Command, including a VFR cross-country
flight *of at least 540km (300 nm) in the course
of which full-stop landings at two aerodromes
different from the aerodromes of departure shall
be made;

There is a footnote but that assumes that at the end of the day you're returning to your point of origin. In that case it's obvious that you need two intermediate stops otherwise you don't fulfill the requirement. But if you're just doing a long x-country to a destination that's easily 300 nm away, and make one intermediate stop (for fuel and other refreshments), you have also fulfilled the requirement of landing at two aerodromes different from the aerodrome of departure.

Or am I reading this wrong, and is the interpretation of the CAA somewhat different?

IO540
14th Nov 2009, 09:31
There is a similar grey area on the FAA CPL XC flight which needs 3 stops but not necessarily a return to the starting point. The DPE doing the checkride can use his discretion. John Lynch's (he wrote most of the FAR/AIM) original 2004 FAQ says you can have an overnight stop also; this makes sense otherwise e.g. the flight would be invalid if the clock went through midnight before the end :) This can be useful since long flights with one or two stops are quite commonly done but not many will be done "nonstop" with 3 stops.

Whopity
14th Nov 2009, 22:09
App 1 to JAR-FCL 1.160 is quite clear:
(c) 20 hours of cross-country flight as pilot-in-command including a VFR cross-country flight totalling at least 540 km (300 NM) in the course of which full stop landings at two different aerodromes from the aerodrome of departure shall be made;

So it must be VFR
You must be PIC
It must be 540Km (300nm) Actually 293nm
You must land at two other places other than the point of departure.

The within "1 day" is an interpretation, as the requirement refers to a flight (singular) this effectively requires each leg to follow the previous leg and not be spread over a number of days days.
It is not a Qualifying X Cty such as the PPL, you don't have to be solo and you don't need signatures or a certificate, just log book evidence of meeting the requirement. Cabair aircraft are regularly seen going around in a loose formation!

englishal
15th Nov 2009, 16:32
Yea, I shouldn't worry too much about it. If you go off for 2 days, and one of the days you end up at least 300nm away from where you start, and you have stopped a couple of times, that that will do. I assume they just want to see you are capable of long distances rather than a £1000 burger.

My FAA CPL X/C was spread over a couple of days and > 600nm.

gg190
15th Nov 2009, 17:27
Recently flew IOM - Wolverhampton - Southampton and direct back to the IOM. Did not do the trip with the intention of completing the CPL QXC, but when I was back on the IOM it dawned on me that I could use it for that.

englishal
15th Nov 2009, 19:55
Is IOM 300nm from Southampton? I make it about 230nm in a straight line.

Halfbaked_Boy
15th Nov 2009, 23:47
Hi englishal,

Are you sure about the two day trip idea? I was told by somebody experienced within GA that the 300 nm + 2 landings away must be completed within 24 hours.

I say that with my hands held firmly in the air though, just thought it was worth checking as it may be relevant to the chap asking the question!

Or perhaps my mate is talking hot air :p

Miserlou
16th Nov 2009, 07:10
Haha, what a pain in the backside that rule was for me. I had many cross countries of more than 300nm. But they were almost all only 2 pointers.
I believe one of those I used included a hop of 4 miles or so.

englishal
16th Nov 2009, 08:24
Are you sure about the two day trip idea? I was told by somebody experienced within GA that the 300 nm + 2 landings away must be completed within 24 hours.
I don't see why not as long as it is part of the same trip and I have never seen a reference stating "24 hrs". In my case I did much more than 600nm over 2 days. I remember the examiner wasn't very concerned.

IO540
16th Nov 2009, 08:27
Ah, FAA v. JAA CPL. Not the same...

gg190
17th Nov 2009, 21:14
Is IOM 300nm from Southampton? I make it about 230nm in a straight line.

Correct, but as far as my understanding goes (an seemingly that of my instructor), it's the total distance flown that counts, therefore that includes the trip back to the IOM. Add in the slight detour to land and Wolverhampton and you've got a round trip of about 500nm.

englishal
18th Nov 2009, 08:44
Correct, but as far as my understanding goes (an seemingly that of my instructor), it's the total distance flown that counts, therefore that includes the trip back to the IOM. Add in the slight detour to land and Wolverhampton and you've got a round trip of about 500nm.
Are you sure??? Sounds a bit dodgey to me.....

In other ICAO lands, it is a landing at an airfield 300nm in a straight line from the original departure airfield.

Even an FAA PPL is required to do a 150nm cross country, which seemingly equates to a JAA CPL 300nm x/c by the above definition !!!!

IO540
18th Nov 2009, 10:45
Whoooops :)

englishal
18th Nov 2009, 13:10
...I might be confusing myself now :O I always assumed that it had to be 300nm "straight line" distance, but I'm prepared to accept that I might be wrong about that :}

Actually, just found an FAA reference here:

FAR 61.129(4)(i) states for a single engine airplane is:
One cross country flight of not less than 300 nm total distance with landings at a minimum of 3 points, one of which must be 250nm from original departure point..

gg190
18th Nov 2009, 19:26
Had a quick look at LASORS before, wording is as follows: 'Cross-country flight of at least 300nm during the course of which landings are made at two aerodromes different from that of departure.' no reference to how far the destination airfield has to be from the airfield you started from.

The PPL cross country requirement also appears to be the same, mine was from Blackpool to Caernarfon (via Hawarden), straight line distance from Blackpool to Caernarfon is just 62nm, CAA didn't have a problem with this when issuing the licence.

Also (just becasue I was bored) I looked up what airfields are 300nm or more from the IOM, without venturing into Europe there are only three locations that are over 300nm, Shetland, Orkney and the Channel Islands!

Edited for spelling.