PDA

View Full Version : Report on Cairngorm aircraft crash released

G-CPTN
12th Nov 2009, 07:26
A probe into a light aircraft crash on Cairn Gorm has reported that the pilot was not qualified to fly in the conditions in which he found himself.
The 45-year-old, who died in the accident, was trying to get from the UK to Florida when he crashed into the mountain in April 2008.
The Air Accidents Investigation Branch said it had been snowing heavily.
From (and more at):- BBC NEWS | UK | Scotland | Highlands and Islands | Report on aircraft crash released (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/8355466.stm)

Earlier reports:- BBC NEWS | UK | Scotland | Highlands and Islands | Light plane missing in blizzard (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/7332294.stm)

BBC NEWS | UK | Scotland | Highlands and Islands | Probe under way on mountain crash (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/7332901.stm)

Video:- BBC News Player - Police search plane wreckage (http://news.bbc.co.uk/player/nol/newsid_7330000/newsid_7334800/7334849.stm?bw=bb&mp=wm&news=1&ms3=6&ms_javascript=true&bbcws=2)

Deeday
12th Nov 2009, 10:30
The actual report is here (http://www.aaib.gov.uk/publications/bulletins/november_2009/piper_pa_32r_300_cherokee_lance__g_bsyc.cfm).

BoeingMEL
12th Nov 2009, 11:59
440 hours total experience and 170 hours on type. IMC trained but no rating issued. Weather was unspeakably foul and was accurately forecast at the time. Maybe, having (allegedly) crossed the pond before, he was over-confident? For sure, neither he nor his 'plane were appropriate for the conditions encountered. These regular stories sadden me beyond words and I still have words ringing in my ears from the early 70s... "Don't ever, ever consider crossing the pond without a current I/R and recent IF practice."
RIP all the same. bm

fisbangwollop
12th Nov 2009, 12:10
What use is an IR if you not in current practice??......I had a situation a couple of months back with an aircraft that called me inbound to Edinburgh from the south. he called me above cloud and wished to descend towards his destination in the Talla area....he sounded a bit freaked with the conditions and kept asking me for a radar service....I asked him if he was IR qualified and he said yes but had done no IR flying for 11 months....that situation could have turned to mince but managed to get the guy down through cloud with the help of edinburgh radar..........food for thought then, why bother taking an IR rating if you are hardly ever going to practice in those conditions. To me it seems a rating to death!!:(

Saab Dastard
12th Nov 2009, 12:15
I noticed an obvious error on page one of the report:

He began the journey at Gamston Airfield, Nottinghamshire on Friday 4 April 2009

I have sent a message to the AAIB bringing to their attention that it should be 2008.

SD

IO540
12th Nov 2009, 13:02
To me, the AAIB report reads as

- lack of even the most basic understanding of weather
- lack of understanding of what "MSA" stands for
- casual attitude to licensing (and, by extension, to other things)

The last one is seen in a lot of GA accident reports.

That he made it to the USA just shows how long one can get away with stuff.

mm_flynn
12th Nov 2009, 13:58
I re-read the original thread in conjunction with the AAIB report and it appears the bulk of the 'speculation' was correct - if somewhat difficult to believe.

It is miraculous he made the previous trans-Atlantic trip successfully. It is difficult to do this low level (i.e. staying out of Class A trans Atlantic airspace) which he would have needed to do to be legal. Given the casual approach to regulations, it is surprising he didn't just file IFR and go, after all the weather system was relatively thin.
estimated to have been between 2,000 ft and 6,000 ft amsl, with other isolated layers of scattered and broken stratocumulus/altocumulus clouds between 6,000 ft and 13,000 ft amsl. (my bold)

I remain staggered at the whole decision making process of this flight.

robin
12th Nov 2009, 15:00
That was my thought as I read the report.

Buying maps on the way and ordering a lightraft to meet him at Wick? It doesn't seem like he made any real attempt at planning the flight at all. And as for attempting it VFR in those conditions .. Another Darwin Award finalist, methinks.

strake
12th Nov 2009, 17:23
It doesn't seem like he made any real attempt at planning the flight at all. And as for attempting it VFR in those conditions .. Another Darwin Award finalist, methinks.

Had it been Maurice "the flying vet" Kirk attempting it, we'd be reading about how we should have "freedom of the skies" and "pioneering aviators" etc.
Some will always think this right up to the point the subject kills themselves.
Then, it's "a free world", " he died doing what he loved" and "went the way he would have wanted to".
Perhaps, it might be advantageous if ATC had some sort of authority to say "G-XXXX, divert - NOW!" It might just save some people from themselves.

Katamarino
12th Nov 2009, 17:39
- casual attitude to licensing (and, by extension, to other things)

Perhaps driven by the thoroughly unreasonable attitudes to licensing shown by the European aviation authorities, compared with other regimes?

bjornhall
12th Nov 2009, 17:40
Had it been Maurice "the flying vet" Kirk attempting it, we'd be reading about how we should have "freedom of the skies" and "pioneering aviators" etc.
Some will always think this right up to the point the subject kills themselves.
Then, it's "a free world", " he died doing what he loved" and "went the way he would have wanted to".

And I heartily agree with every word of that! :ok:

Anyone who wants to take risks should be free to do so.

Aviation safety to me is about knowing how to fly safely. It is a shame when people hurt themselves by doing things they did not realize the dangers of. I have no problem whatsoever with people choosing to do something dangerous.

For example, even though I know it puts me in grave and imminent danger, I will actually venture all the way from the club house to the hangar without wearing a high-vis vest. And back, too! :8

I don't agree with his decision either, but so what? It's his call, not mine. I imagine he must have been aware his flying was not risk-free, and that he probably realized he was taking more risks than most others would. The decision is his prerogative.

The tone of these discussions trouble me a bit. "Don't do that" is a good, useful conclusion. "What an idiot" is not helpful at all.

IO540
12th Nov 2009, 17:58
I agree one should have the right to kill oneself, but not when carrying passengers.

strake
12th Nov 2009, 17:59
It is a shame when people hurt themselves by doing things they did not realize the dangers of. I have no problem whatsoever with people choosing to do something dangerous.

Yes, right. Now put yourself in the position of the guy who climbed up the mountain, opened the door and had to scrape him off the flight instruments.

bjornhall
12th Nov 2009, 18:17
I agree one should have the right to kill oneself, but not when carrying passengers.

While noting in passing he wasn't, that point is interesting... I wouldn't think highly of the pilot who knowingly risks his passengers. But, wait, we all do don't we? For us PPLs, flying as a non-commercial operation, our passengers are probably safer staying on the ground than flying with us (although hopefully only a little bit safer! :)).

Which just illustrates once more that flying in general, and private flying in particular, is about managing risks rather than eliminating them. How much risk is too much risk? By leaving that judgment up to the pilots, we do in fact have not the right to kill our passengers, but certainly the right to do things that could kill our passengers (i.e., get off the ground in the first place!).

The right for PPL pilots to make that judgement ourselves is precious. There are far too many people, even among our own ranks, who want nothing more than to make decisions for other people, "for our own safety and that of those around us", as the standard term goes.

It is at least encouraging to see that this report did not see a need to make any recommendations.

silverknapper
12th Nov 2009, 18:40
Anyone who wants to take risks should be free to do so.

Said with complete disregard for everyone tasked to deal with the aftermath. the SAR helicopter who had to go out in these atrocious conditions, the Mountain Rescue team who had to risk their lives in an attempt to save his. Not too mention the fact he only scraped by the top station with it's visitor centre, train station, restaurant etc. All very busy on a harsh winters day with people taking shelter from the elements.
The principle of no interference in our aviating is a good one and one for which I am all in favour. However incidents such as these do not do the cause any good whatsoever. Had this chap wiped out the top station would you be of the same opinion I wonder?

1800ed
12th Nov 2009, 18:43
The report does a good job of describing just how quickly problems can escalate in aviation.

IO540
12th Nov 2009, 18:51
The report does a good job of describing just how quickly problems can escalate in aviation.

Especially if somebody departs without having looked at the weather.

That approach works suprisingly often - because in general so long as you can "somehow" get airborne, you can have a "look around" when you are up there, and the statistical nature of a lot of weather means that "ways" can be found to proceed. That's why so many numpties get away with it. And also why some very experienced pilots manage to do flights in awful weather, but they have a smarter strategy - like not flying below the terrain...

CPilotUK
12th Nov 2009, 19:27
Perhaps, it might be advantageous if ATC had some sort of authority to say "G-XXXX, divert - NOW!" It might just save some people from themselves.

The final decision rests with the Pilot In Command - PIC. What next, ATC to tell us when to blow our nose and wipe our backside?

Each licensed pilot, before being issued a license, had to demonstrate that they understood their role as PIC and be able to exercise good judgement; for some, once in possession of the book, that's where it stops. No amount of safety evenings or good advice from others will deter the determined, Unfortunately.

1800ed
12th Nov 2009, 19:32
ATC find it hard enough getting pilots to understand the nature of the service they provide, telling you to divert when they think you're doing something silly would only make matters worse!

fisbangwollop
12th Nov 2009, 19:36
What it does demonstrate is the dangers of flying over mountains and hostile terrain, something our south of the border pilots may not fully understand. This guy was the 3rd I can remember that piled it in to the Cairngorm granite during the past 10 years...all had flown from south of the border. I think our local Scottish pilots learn to understand and respect the force of turbulance and icing over the hills.

bjornhall
12th Nov 2009, 20:02
Said with complete disregard for everyone tasked to deal with the aftermath.

No.

Crash one
12th Nov 2009, 20:08
Quote:
It is a shame when people hurt themselves by doing things they did not realize the dangers of. I have no problem whatsoever with people choosing to do something dangerous.
Yes, right. Now put yourself in the position of the guy who climbed up the mountain, opened the door and had to scrape him off the flight instruments.

If one chooses to be in the business of climbing mountains for those reasons, then one should be trained & experienced in such scenarios.
I was. It may not be his best day, but the day you see the pilot/person walking towards you with a look of, Thank Christ, on his face makes up for that, tenfold.
We are very good at critiscising other people for doing what we see as wrong, who gave us the right to do that? I have certainly bent a few rules in my time, so far I've got away with it. Any one out there prepared to say they have never ever made a bad/ill-conceived decision, life theatening or otherwise? If there is I don't want to meet you because you will be a boring fart.
As for ATC having the authority to tell us where, how or when, get real!!
Perhaps we should all wrap up in cotton wool, yeller jackets, stay indoors & clipe on each other.

BabyBear
12th Nov 2009, 20:27
Nice as it would be I cannot ever see ATC being in a position to help through taking control of decisions. Not only is it not practical but it is in direct conflict with the PIC's responsibilities as PIC. Not Workable.

What I find confusing is why, when apparently in VMC at 8000+ feet, he chose to descend in to the murk.

fisbangwollop
12th Nov 2009, 20:32
What I find confusing is why, when apparently in VMC at 8000+ feet, he chose to descend in to the murk.

Maybe he had no option due ice build up!!

BabyBear
12th Nov 2009, 20:45
FBW I considered ice, surely there would be greater icing problems in cloud with sub zero temps., than in VMC on top? Add to that the IMC issues it seems to me that was the fatal mistake.

Was it due weather he requested descent?

From my reading of the report, given he decided to leave Carlise, the accident was avoidable.

gasax
12th Nov 2009, 20:47
I think the 'mountains' were probably the last straw. I have a vague recollection of the day and I know the area quite well having flown over it for 20 odd years.

Trying to fly there, that day, in that wind, would have been pretty challenging on a decent VFR day. With the clouds well below the tops that day, it would probably have been possible to slink out of the area by following the Spey to the coast - you would have had to slow down and it would have been pretty horrid - but probably possible. That is pretty much where he flew a 360 - and had he got low enough he would have just been VFR. (well able to see where he was going anyhow!).

Going back over the high ground the way he had come was perhaps driven by some idea that he knew what the conditions had been, but of course he was now a great deal lower (the 'mountain' factor) and very vulnerable to the high winds - in the murk and extreme turbulence he was probably a very lonely man.

But as I say to anyone flying here - if the wind is over 30 kts make sure you can get at least 2000 ft above the tops to stay out of trouble - it will still be rough but flyable. If you are forced lower, look out.

BabyBear
12th Nov 2009, 20:55
gasax the sad fact is he was 15NM north of Cairngorm seemingly having crossed at 8000 feet +, from there Inverness was not far so I guess he wasn't aware of his position. The decision to descend in to it:confused:

Crash one
12th Nov 2009, 21:00
Babybear,
You are well aware of my views on authority. "Nice as it would be" are not words I would use regarding ATC in control of my decisions.
What next, compulsory video through the screen, data linked to ATC, remote control at ATC discretion?
May as well sit on the apron & call "Scottish Info G-xxxx take me to Oban please"---"G-xxxx roger, check your fuel, the front tank is only half full & I wouldn't take her with you, she's a bitch".
The future????

BabyBear
12th Nov 2009, 21:08
Steady on there Crash One, I agree there is no scope for ATC to be making decisions. If they did there would be little point in taking to the air. Seems your dislike of authority is clouding your ability to interpret what is said.:ok:

rata2e
12th Nov 2009, 21:13
So what can be learned? How can we prevent another pilot from risking flying beyond their and their aircraft's limits? Obviously yet again the current system isn't working. Do we have to wait for the orphanage/hospital/ski lodge to be wiped out before the rouges will take note?

fisbangwollop
12th Nov 2009, 21:14
"Scottish Info G-xxxx take me to Oban please"

Hey that would be nice...save me sitting in my little dark Ops room twiddling my thumbs!! :cool:

mm_flynn
12th Nov 2009, 21:20
FBW I considered ice, surely there would be greater icing problems in cloud with sub zero temps., than in VMC on top? Add to that the IMC issues it seems to me that was the fatal mistake.

Was it due weather he requested descent?

From my reading of the report, given he decided to leave Carlise, the accident was avoidable.
The accident was so avoidable it really shouldn't be classed as an accident.

He was almost surely 'British VFR' (i.e. in solid IMC but not airways - similar to a G-reg 'VFR" pilot I was following into LFAT - Only some of the IFR traffic were able to get in due to the rain/fog and the 003 OVC with tops at 080 at the time) and started picking up ice (which is not going to happen sitting in the sun on top!) when he requested the descent. It is inconceivable to imagine any pilot sitting 2000 feet above a freezing undercast, over mountains, and requesting a descent into the murk with no deice and no place to land.

Broadly speaking I am in favour of allowing people to kill themselves. either through immediate choice or highly risky activity - that they don't expect to be rescued from. However, I really doubt that was his plan. So I am still mystified. Did he not understand the dynamics he was getting into? Did he do it on purpose?

I suspect there are some personal factors not in the AAIB report which, if known, would provide a much more rational context for the events.

mary meagher
12th Nov 2009, 21:22
Actually, it is quite rare that a light aircraft when augering in manages to wipe out people on the ground. What upsets my sensibilities, in addition to somebody else having to clean up the mess, is the waste of a perfectly good aircraft. Not to mention our insurance going up.

BabyBear
12th Nov 2009, 21:24
So what can be learned? How can we prevent another pilot from risking flying beyond their and their aircraft's limits?

Not a lot to learn here.

I don't believe there is any action that will prevent irresponsible decision making such as this, nor should laws be introduced in an attempt to save them from themselves to the detrement of the majority of sensible pilots.

mm_flynn

Agreed.

Your below statement certainly makes more sense than anything I read in the report.

I suspect there are some personal factors not in the AAIB report which, if known, would provide a much more rational context for the events.

Oldpilot55
12th Nov 2009, 22:08
It would be interesting to find out the opinions of his instructors as to his flying attitudes. He would appear to have been a risk taker but were there signs of this during his early training days?

AdamFrisch
13th Nov 2009, 03:46
Well, descending to avoid ice is an established action. Maybe not the best thing to do over high mountains, but then again he might not have had a choice. He might have thought that just a small descent would make a difference.

Would you have started a climb in icing conditions that could have made things worse and potentially never break out on top or reach a warmer layer?

Once you're in it, it's not such an easy decision. Best is to stay out of it completely, of course.

fisbangwollop
13th Nov 2009, 05:31
How much experiance did this guy and many other low time "fly for fun" pilots have of flying in or near icing conditions?......I would say probablly none!!....As I said earlier it shows the dangers of at times flying over hostile area's like the Highlands of Scotland...dangers that in general are well appreciated by our own Scottish pilots...........the fact that the day before this flight the guy actually got lost whilst talking to my sector at Scottish whilst flying north to carlisle and following the Cumbrian coast may also give an insight into the guys experiance! :cool:

mm_flynn
13th Nov 2009, 05:42
Well, descending to avoid ice is an established action. Maybe not the best thing to do over high mountains, but then again he might not have had a choice. He might have thought that just a small descent would make a difference.

Would you have started a climb in icing conditions that could have made things worse and potentially never break out on top or reach a warmer layer?

Once you're in it, it's not such an easy decision. Best is to stay out of it completely, of course.
A VFR only pilot has made a massive mistake to wind up in cloud, out of sight of the surface and have the cloud be icing - a 180 at 90000 ft to get clear of the cloud is THE established action.

For IFR trained pilots, you would start with an approach of - don't enter visible moisture with the TAT less than 0 (i.e. climb, descend or divert before entering cloud) if you are not approved for known icing.

Slightly more aggressively, you might climb through potentially icing cloud to VMC on top if there was above 0 or cloud free levels above the MSA to descend to (clearly not true on this day)
(As my IMC only required £60 - I don't know if this is taught as part of the IMC syllabus - but icing dos and don'ts is definitely part of the FAA IR)

Descending with icing over mountains to freezing IMC below the MSA is a bit like scud running at night - you might live - but if you do you should also buy the lottery ticket because God is clearly your co-pilot.

IO540
13th Nov 2009, 06:28
Well, descending to avoid ice is an established action.Only if the 0C level is above the MSA.

The only way to have done that flight safely (if not in this case legally) would have been

- VMC on top, or

- in IMC in a heavily de-iced aircraft

and in controlled airspace :)

Looking at the available soundings (http://weather.uwyo.edu/upperair/sounding.html) it looks like the tops were 5000-10000ft, with significant inversions in places and with clear weather above, and pretty strong winds aloft generating a lot of turbulence if flying within a few thousand feet of the terrain.

However, when one reads stuff like

While at Carlisle Airport he purchased a 1:500,000 scale aeronautical chart for Scotland, a ruler and some pens.

one wonders whether there really is anything at all to learn from this one.

fisbangwollop
13th Nov 2009, 06:53
To me its another classic case of not asking ATC for help soon enough. He found himself stuck above cloud in both turbulent and icing conditions. I am sure if at the first sign of his concern he had conveyed those thoughts to ATC he would have been offered radar vectors not necessary to the nearest airfield but to an area clear of cloud in which he could make a visual descent. With lossimouth radar only 30 miles away they could have idented him and given him radar vectors to fly north, descend over the Moray firth clear of cloud and high ground and hopefully divert then to Inverness/Lossie/Kinloss.

There have been many occasions whilst I have been talking to aircraft you just get that feeling in your water that all is not well......a little word from me asking are you really OK is all that it takes for them to admit "No It Is Not".....so should you every feel threatened and unsure please please tell ATC, we can only help if we know there is a problem. :cool:

englishal
13th Nov 2009, 07:56
May as well sit on the apron & call "Scottish Info G-xxxx take me to Oban please"---"
This is a little trick IFR pilots have been keeping to themselves for many years ;) We say where we want to go, and ATC tell us when to turn left or right.....very easy :}

Actually it could be a symptom of the JAA system which *contributes* to these types of accidents. Because an IR is so unrealistic for all but Commercial pilot wannabe's or those with lots of time and money on their hands, then very few PPL's actually do one. The result is people pushing their limits and of flying illegally in Europe (yea, sure I can see the ground - ahem...). I'm sure if one could join an airway at 10,000 over Scotland and sit in the clear blue sky, safe and sound away from icing and cumulogranitus then that has to be far safer than trying to push one's way either through or under bad weather. One doesn't get icing in clear air, and turbulence over the mountains will reduce with height.

belowradar
13th Nov 2009, 08:17
I think that this pilot was in cloud and able to keep it the right way up, I also suspect that there was a lack of pre-flight planning and a subsequest loss of situational awareness (geographical positional awareness). This would mean that his ability to make decisions and to work out a decent escape route were negated.

Just my opinion based on the fact that he hit a mountain which he had already cleared.

ATC did not have the luxury of good communication with the aircraft and there was no sense of urgency from the pilot (who was busy flying the aircraft and probably unaware of the imminent danger)

Very sad - no desire to make judgements but some lessons to be learned here regarding the importance of planning and especially weather go/no go decisions. Late purchase of map is better than no map but you need to study the map carefully and ask what if ? where will I go if plan A is not do-able ?

IO540
13th Nov 2009, 10:10
Late purchase of map is better than no map

Yes, but in the context of a planned flight from the UK to the USA?

And by a VFR-only pilot? One can imagine somebody flying IFR to plan the route (with the European bit done using the automatic route generation tools now available e.g. this one (http://www.flightplanpro.eu/Home.html)) and perhaps printing off some enroute chart sections from somewhere, and wanting to buy some printed airways charts just in case, but for a VFR flight??

As mm_flynn suggests there is something a bit odd here.

Gertrude the Wombat
13th Nov 2009, 11:17
(As my IMC only required £60 - I don't know if this is taught as part of the IMC syllabus - but icing dos and don'ts is definitely part of the FAA IR)
On my IMC course I got a clear message that if the freezing level is forecast to be below the MSA and there's any danger of needing to go anywhere near cloud then I don't take off. And then, forecasts not being 100%, I'm supposed to look at the OAT on the ground, at top of climb, before entering any cloud, and probably some other times I've forgotten.

Fly-by-Wife
13th Nov 2009, 12:28
IO540 -

in the context of a planned flight from the UK to the USA? ...and by a VFR-only pilot?

It seems that he had actually accomplished this before - albeit in the opposite direction!

There was evidence that in September 2006 he flew a Piper PA-28 Warrior II from Florida, USA to the UK. - from the AAIB report.

FBW

IO540
13th Nov 2009, 12:42
On my IMC course I got a clear message that if the freezing level is forecast to be below the MSA and there's any danger of needing to go anywhere near cloud then I don't take off.

That's reasonable, though if one has an IR and is filing IFR in CAS and carries oxygen and has got the cloud tops data as far as possible, then, given that airspace will not limit one's ceiling, one is IMHO entitled to depart provided it is fairly obvious that the local conditions will enable a safe climb to VMC, and likewise for the destination weather.

There was evidence that in September 2006 he flew a Piper PA-28 Warrior II from Florida

Yes, I saw that, but one would still do "a bit of planning" before such a trip :)

I think that a publication of the pilot's "history" would make interesting reading.

maxred
13th Nov 2009, 14:19
What staggers me about reports of this nature is how many more do it day in, day out. The only way we get to here about these escapades is when the report (inevitably) comes out. The strange aspect of this, picked up in an earlier post, is that if it was truly VFR, then there are two low level routes, i.e. up each coast, to get to Wick. Seems to me that to blast through weather at 4k, in the s*** was bizarre. Particularly when the MSA was +55. He appears - reasonably - experienced:confused:

Cows getting bigger
13th Nov 2009, 14:30
If you chat to some of the chaps at Halfpenny Green, they weren't entirely surprised when this particular pilot managed to kill himself.

IO540
13th Nov 2009, 14:35
As I think I wrote earlier, there is a group of pilots who "always fly".

Some are smart; some are dumb but get away with it because most of the time one does get away with it.

The AAIB report won't contain any interesting tidbits. It is only when one happens to bump into people who knew the pilot that one can see this would happen eventually.

I am especially thinking of one formerly alive pilot (a > 2000kg piston twin, IR). One chap I used to fly with told me he used to work out Eurocontrol routings for this pilot. So, this pilot, being over 1999kg and not knowing how to file a valid IFR flight plan, flew everywhere "VFR". He also rarely got tafs or metars, never mind anything else. Obviously, a VFR departure and just sitting in the clag on autopilot, with very little radio work, with the de-ice boots going, is less of a mental exercise than getting the weather, working out Eurocontrol routings, and work sometimes nonstop on the radio. No oxygen so no cannulas up your nose and no need to watch your kid(s) to make sure they are breathing it properly. One can kind-of see the attraction... It worked for him for years - until he flew into this (http://s101.photobucket.com/albums/m74/peterh337/?action=view&current=20070210.jpg) (near Lyon, France)

Until then, his despatch rate was probably 99%. I doubt I can do better than 75%, and except for de-icing I have a lot more capability than he had.

maxred
13th Nov 2009, 14:43
Thanks guys, yes the jigsaw begins to complete. I scared myself witless on one trip, VFR a number of years ago when I ran into a big front. There are always those that learn, and those who do not. On my survival, I immediately signed up for IMC plus Night plus a number of 'instructor hours' instrument only. Taught me a huge lesson that one.
I am also now accutely aware of my current limitations. I just wish others would follow suit.

Maoraigh1
13th Nov 2009, 20:06
My memory of the weather that day was frequent CBs coming in off the Moray Firth, with infrequent glimpses of blue. Squalls and showers accompanied each CB. I consider it would have been impossible to fly low, VFR, on the Moray coast. I was at my computer, near the window, often looking out over the sea 100 ft below, east of Lossie.
The weather stuck in my mind when I heard of the accident.

IO540
13th Nov 2009, 20:27
You can look up the radar image for the day on meteox.com - using the Archive link.

You can also get this data just before the flight :ugh:

BoeingMEL
14th Nov 2009, 12:22
I also knew a guy who flew everywhere VFR and flew into the side of Mount Mangiabo in the Alps...this was c.1974 tho in a TwinCom... 4 fatalities including wife and children (age 3 yrs and 9 months IIRC). Everyone who met him and knew him at EGBB and EGBE at the time accuractely forecast his demise. (It was also the fourth FTO he tried before he got his B rating.. the first 3 "declined" to test him.) What can or should we do when we become aware of such people? Probably very little because they are unlikely to be receptive to our opinions, advice or warnings. Very sad. bm :bored:

IO540
14th Nov 2009, 18:23
The majority of fatals happen to aircraft owners - I am reliably informed this was discovered some time ago though it is not evident from published data.

This is quite perverse because the highest qualified and highest currency pilots are owners.

What it means is that the careless pilots (including the out and out cowboys) are also mostly owners. This makes sense since only a strip owner/operator is entirely outside any "system" or "peer group". Nobody can get through to these people. They might read the occassional flying mag and some might be on pilot forums, but I would suggest that the great majority of non IT capable pilots are in this group. And today, the internet is the biggest source of information on more advanced flight procedures.

moggiee
11th Dec 2009, 22:11
If you chat to some of the chaps at Halfpenny Green, they weren't entirely surprised when this particular pilot managed to kill himself.
Sadly true. The pilot had a list of "previous" as long as your arm and we had tried VERY hard to help him improve his standards of airmanship and decision making but to no avail.

He was one of those "I'm going anyway" type of chaps, with (it would appear) little or no fear or awareness of the potential consequences of his actions. We all believed that it would be a case of WHEN he killed himself in an aeroplane not IF.

DX Wombat
12th Dec 2009, 22:29
Moggie is correct. I also knew the pilot and his reputation. He definitely DID make at least one, if not two flights from the USA and I was at Halfpenny Green when he arrived.

BigEndBob
13th Jan 2018, 21:17
Only just come across this thread, sorry to bump it up.
Didn't like to say much at the time, this guy was an idiot.
First time i met him i witness he had just arrived from the States in a PA28. He had a reserve tank in the back with a fuel line taped through the DV panel to the left fuel cap.
Never seen that before. Later he told me tale that he had to descend to 200 feet crossing the sea from the Orkney to Scotland to stay VMC.
Some weeks later he asked if i would go flying with him in a Arrow he owned, i thought great, see how this Transatlantic king of the skies flies.
What a let down, could barely control the thing, seen better attempts by an ab-initio.
No wonder he land the crashed PA32 wheel up some months earlier, needing a rebuild.
When the PA32 was rebuilt he pulled it out of the hanger, ran up the new engine, brakes, etc. Then climbed out and stood on the tarmac watching the engine running, no one inside!
Was asked to move the aircraft, which he did, then jumped out again and started chatting to some observers, again no one in the aircraft, engine running.

Day before the crash he came into the flying school and other members chatted to him about the flight to America. They quizzed which route and what maps he had. Firstly nothing specific had been planned. He asked if we had a Scottish chart, er no.
They all went out to look at the fully loaded aircraft, from a distance it looked full of clothes. I commented to my partner that the next time we hear about him, will be the newspapers. I don't wish to view the aircraft as i don't want to be a witness in a coroners court explaining what i saw. Seemed like dead man walking. Should i have been my Brothers keeper. We all have free will.
Was i one of the many that could have said stop. Can't help but have a tinge of guilt.

Later was told he had already had his licence pulled and retrained following getting lost in Paris controlled airspace.

piperboy84
13th Jan 2018, 22:20
Ah well it is what it is, the poor buggers been a long time broon breed now.