PDA

View Full Version : Low aircraft (Cessna?) over Barnsley South Yorkshire this afternoon, was it you?

liam548
4th Nov 2009, 17:53
Around 1415hrs today 4th Nov I saw an unusually low (high wing I believe, looked like a 172?) aircraft over Barnsley and Wombwell areas South Yorkshire.

At the time there were some pretty nasty looking clouds around with heavy rain showers, wondering if the pilot was training or looking for somewhere that might be suitable for a forced landing..?

Noah Zark.
4th Nov 2009, 18:56
If it was the latter scenario, he/she is very unlikely to pop up on here and admit it! :ugh:

gyrotyro
5th Nov 2009, 16:14
Ja it vas mich. Sie sind der cloud polizei perhappsen ? I vas trying to do battle mit der nasty clouds, oh how I hate dem nasty clouds. Immer der nasty clouds geblocken meine weg warum ich in der Yorkshire fliegen.

Warum don't you join der mind deine own business polizei at the same time ?Sie konnen kaufen zwei club fur eine subscription mit dem spezial offer.

Gratis flatt kappen und der ferret mit jeder neu membership gekaufen in November.

Them thar hills
5th Nov 2009, 16:23
Bradshaw is alive and well !
:}

Captain Stable
6th Nov 2009, 11:26
Noahzark - I think you have it the wrong way round.

Someone being caught by low cloud and attempting to carry out a precautionary landing is exercising good sense. Someone merely training and breaking either the 500' or the 1,000' rule is being very, very silly.

Liam- are you sure you recognise the difference between a forced landing and a precautionary landing?

Noah Zark.
6th Nov 2009, 13:29
Captain Stable,

Noahzark - I think you have it the wrong way round.

Someone being caught by low cloud and attempting to carry out a precautionary landing is exercising good sense. Someone merely training and breaking either the 500' or the 1,000' rule is being very, very silly.

I don't think I have got it the wrong way round at all. Read my post again. Just as a slight matter of conjecture, if the a/c concerned was looking for a place to land, due to being "caught out" with the weather, we all know it is prudent to do so. Did I say anything to the contrary?
Did I say anything at all about the way this flight was being conducted? I don't think so. I wasn't there, and I don't know the circumstances.
Furthermore, if I did know the circumstances, I am not an expert, so best say nothing.
What I was inferring is this. It is well known on Pprune that these pages are scanned regularly by the paparazzi looking for anything that will sell them another issue of their tawdry rags. There is a warning on one of the front pages of Pprune to that effect.
If I had had an event, of any kind, that might at least lead to a touch of the "red kneck syndrome", I would not be wanting to broadcast it on here or anywhere else.
Would you?

OwnNav
6th Nov 2009, 13:54
Saw it too, went round a few times and I could clearly read the reg, deffo breaking the rules 4-500' ish... I know, those without sin etc.

The last one doing this a few years ago in our area was reported by an ATPL out walking his dog !

gyrotyro
6th Nov 2009, 14:54
"The last one doing this a few years ago in our area was reported by an ATPL out walking his dog !"

Aha, ze dreaded dog valking polizei. Zey are ze worst sort to encounter. I vunce had a very nasty encounter mit une Airdale.

hatzflyer
6th Nov 2009, 15:06
"deffo breaking the rules 4-500 ish "
so, your lower figure is 20% less than your higher, but add 1ft to the higher estimate ( 0.2% ) and he would be legal ?

Captain Stable
6th Nov 2009, 15:55
Well, Noah, if I were in the situation of either scenario, I would be much less inclined to own up to it being me in the former scenario than the latter.

In the former scenario, the Campaign Against Aviation (Enforcement Branch) are going to get very excited. In the latter, a pilot can state that he was putting his training into effect in difficult circumstances and being cautious.

As for journos reading this stuff - F:mad: 'em. Chances are they know 3/10ths of the square root of bugger all about aviation, so what's their opinion worth?

Saab Dastard
6th Nov 2009, 16:04
This is another thread that is going nowhere.

Just another of these "too low", "Oh no he wasn't", "Oh yes he was".

Nothing to see here folks, move along, please!

SD