PDA

View Full Version : Light A/C intercepted over London

checkpointcharlie
4th Nov 2009, 15:35
1605 Just heard that a fighter was seen harassing a light A/C over central London. Exercise or a very rapid taxi trip to Aviation house?

jollyrog
4th Nov 2009, 15:38
Wasn't there a BBMF fly past this afternoon at 1600? Could it be that?

checkpointcharlie
4th Nov 2009, 15:41
Could be. Had the info second hand.

MoateAir
4th Nov 2009, 15:45
I heard a jet earlier, and it turned a few heads in the office here as it sounded low on a high power setting. I wandered what it was. Certainly wasn't the usual sound of traffic into/out of City.

Torque Tonight
4th Nov 2009, 16:02
BBC NEWS | UK | England | London | Fourth Plinth RAF hero unveiled (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/8341772.stm)

I think your 'light aircraft' may be a Spitfire and the fighter 'intercepting it' a Typhoon.

checkpointcharlie
4th Nov 2009, 16:07
Thanks for that. False alarm then!

jxc
4th Nov 2009, 16:44
Def a spitfire and a jet was told jet pointing very high due to the speed of the spitfire

old-timer
4th Nov 2009, 20:44
at last, a very worthwhile use for the 4th plinth :D:D:D
it's very nice to see the 70th BoB anniversary & Sir Keith being remembered & honoured.

Fourth Plinth RAF hero unveiled .....

The statue of Sir Keith will be on the plinth for six months
A statue of RAF hero Sir Keith Park has been unveiled on the Fourth Plinth in Trafalgar Square.

Sir Keith commanded RAF squadrons which defended London and the South East from World War II Luftwaffe attacks in 1940.

The glass fibre sculpture, which will be in place for six months, was unveiled on Wednesday.

A separate, permanent, bronze statue of Park will be erected in Waterloo Place on the 70th anniversary of the Battle of Britain on 15 September 2010.

:D:D

sprthompson
6th Nov 2009, 08:55
Bugger my office is right round the corner and I missed this! :*:*:*
(will look at the plinth at lunch tho!)

Saab Dastard
6th Nov 2009, 16:13
Thread has served its purpose, more info in Aviation History and Nostalgia.

SD