PDA

View Full Version : ALAs - what's the go?

theflyinggeek
3rd Nov 2009, 13:07
I just have a question about where a private pilot can land their aircraft. I've heard of the term 'ALA' (authorised landing area?) being thrown around, and I assume that this term on analogous with airstrip.

A friend of mine has a relative with a disused airstrip on his property. What kind of steps would need to be taken to allow for the airstrip to be used for private purposes only? Does it involve dealing with CASA? Are there any limitations based on the fact that people that might use the strips will PPL holders only?

tmpffisch
3rd Nov 2009, 13:12
CAAP 92.1 is the source for all the info :ok:

http://www.casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_assets/main/download/caaps/ops/92_1.pdf

theflyinggeek
3rd Nov 2009, 13:17
After a skim read, does that mean that an area that any pilot wants to land on that meets the specifications in that document that you link is a legal place to land an aircraft.

In other words, it need not be registered with CASA?

rodrigues
3rd Nov 2009, 13:29
This specifically came up in a flight-test recently.

In summary, you can land anywhere you deem safe and suitable. Obviously, the strip must meet certain dimensions and characteristics to be labelled an 'ALA', but as long as you, as the PIC are happy with where you are landing, that's all that matters.

Of course, you would use your common sense and establish the length, condition, and permission use to the strip.

A precautionary search and landing is of relevance to this.

tmpffisch
3rd Nov 2009, 13:29
Yup. Meeting the requirements of the CAAP would adequately ensure that the reguations are met. The strip would ideally get surveyed and graded, but doesn't need to be registered with CASA. However if an incident happened, they'd become very interested in the strip, hence why you'd want it surveyed.

Knowing the requirements for ALA's in CAAP 92.1 is definatly a CPL exam question, possibly part of PPL too.

VH-XXX
3rd Nov 2009, 20:47
The reality is that you can land anywhere you want as long as the land owner gives you their permission, preferably in writing.

Just make sure IAW caap that it is moderately safe and try not to take out too many on the ground or your passengers when you spear in and burn.

You could take every precaution in the book and still get sued if something goes bad so solo flights into ad hoc landing areas are always good.

Jazzy78910
3rd Nov 2009, 20:49
Yep, basically land wherever the hell you want, but if something goes wrong, you need to be able to justify your choice of ALA, which will put you in the s**t if you haven't followed the recommendations in the ALA document from CASA (linked above).

Be aware that the document is a recommendation, not a requirement, but I wouldn't want to be answering questions after an incident on an ALA that didn't meet the recommendations from CASA.

Howard Hughes
4th Nov 2009, 03:44
Unless you have contravened a Regulation Jazzy then there would be no case to answer, regardless of the dimensions of where you have landed!:ok:

The Green Goblin
4th Nov 2009, 03:55
Look at the clown recently who CASA threw the book at for landing on roads around his station......(and landing at a control zone without a clearance)

You can't just land 'anywhere' that fits ALA dimensions no matter what the CAAPs say.

Under the CARs you can't fly lower than 1000 feet over a populated area unless for the purpose of taking off or landing. I often wondered if I could land on the road outside a friends farm and taxi up to the homestead :) Yes it is a populated area although it is for the purpose of taking off and landing and the sealed road more than meets tha ALA requirements!

Interesting to ponder :hmm:

VH-XXX
4th Nov 2009, 07:05
Green Gobs, refer to my comments earlier:

The reality is that you can land anywhere you want as long as the land owner gives you their permission, preferably in writing.

Road = No (unless it is a private road, such as a station driveway, or med-1)
Farm = Yes with permission
Forrestry strip = Yes with permission
Beach = Yes with appropriate permission

That about covers most situations.... it's cut and dried case closed if you have permission.

Technically insurance companies don't cover unlicenced fields by default so you need to check with them to see that the field that you intend to use is covered.

FRQ Charlie Bravo
7th Nov 2009, 12:36
Road = No (unless it is a private road, such as a station driveway, or med-1)
Farm = Yes with permission
Forrestry strip = Yes with permission
Beach = Yes with appropriate permission

What about water landing and alighting? Does the same apply? What's stopping me from operating from the Swan River near Fremantle (i.e. no OCTA)? If it's not a Civil Aviation Regulation then what would it be (the Swan River Trust, the local council)? What about near a popular beach really close to a city or somewhere like Rottnest Island?

Assuming I can't take-off from the Swan River in a little VH registered Searey (http://www.pprune.org/www.searey.com) and blast off to Rotto (about 12nm from Fremantle by memory) can I water taxi as if I were a boat and then take off once I am in open ocean?

This dream is a few decades away but I've wondered about it for a long time. I don't have a float or floating-hull endo so please excuse any terminology faux pas.

~FRQ CB

tio540
7th Nov 2009, 13:00
The place where you take off or land your aircraft needs to comply with either the licensed aerodrome or ALA requirements. The CAAP's may be an advisory publication, but you ignore them at your own peril. If something goes wrong, and the paddock is non compliant, you have little protection for insurance or CASA.

Your insurer will advise you the same.