PDA

View Full Version : Cessna 206

Echo Romeo
29th Oct 2009, 19:53
Doe's anyone have an opinion on what these are like to fly, 'the non turbo model with the io570 ' particularly with regard to fuel burn at a typical 140kt cruise below 4000ft. Thanks.

flybymike
30th Oct 2009, 00:26
I assume you mean the 300hp IO540 206H which I have not flown.

I have operated a turbo TP 206 for some 10 years or so (Continental 520) Great for shifting large weights out of short strips. Fuel burn ...horrendous...circa 20galls ph. Benign flying characteristics. heavy controls especially in pitch. Docile handling, Nice and stable in the cruise but chucks you about in turbulence. Ballast in baggage area recommended for landing with full flap when only front seats occupied. Gami jectors and relevant engine monitoring for LOP operation will result in good fuel savings. The turbo continental is smooth in operation but mixture mismanagement gets through exhaust valves with alacrity...

SNS3Guppy
30th Oct 2009, 15:45
The 206 is a workhorse. It flies like a 182 which flies like a 172 which flies like a 152. It's a single engine Cessna, enough said.

In my opinion, the turbo model doesn't merit much unless one is doing a lot of high density altitude takeoffs and landings. I spent a lot of time working 206's in and out of 10,000' density altitude one way dirt strips, and the turbo just takes up weight that could be filled with paying passengers and cargo.

The older 206's have the IO-520 in it, the newer ones the IO-540. I'm partial to the 520, having run them in a number of different light singles and twins. Nothing wrong with the 540, but I like the 520.

You'll find all kinds of mods and flavors for the 206/207. I've hauled passengers and back country cargo, flown skydivers and cameras, chased big horn sheep and tracked hazardous waste smugglers, done rough field charter and aerial photography in them, flown them over forest fires, lifted people and gear in and out of remote airstrips, done grand canyon tours in them, all sorts of things. Great airplanes.

They've got a few little "gotchas" that one should be aware of. The extra fuel drains under the belly in the kidney sumps at the base of the wing struts are one...a lot of people miss them. The cessna fuel flow fluctuation procedure is another....the one in the book can cause an unrecoverable engine failure, if followed. Another is the long range tanks; fill to the bottom of the filler neck and you're an hour short on each side. I've known a couple of pilots who made unplanned off-field forced landings as a result. Plan ahead.

The 206 is a great utility airplane when you've got a lot to haul and you want to do it from a rough, nasty, short, high density altitude airstrip. It's one of the single best back country haulers out there, even today, and it still makes a nice family go-to-church-on-sunday machine, as well.

Echo Romeo
30th Oct 2009, 20:32
Thanks for your replies, it was only a very tentative enquirey as there is a possibility that I may be offered one to fly, but I now feel it would be impractical especially with regard to fuel cost for the type of flying I do.

Rico 25
10th Nov 2009, 18:54
As someone who has nearly 800 hours flying in the C206 I would like to share my experiences of flying this aircraft whilst I was in Africa as a bush pilot.

The 206 could probably best be described as a flying truck and tends to fly that way as well. A lot of guys say that they fly the same as a C172 and although they are similar this isn't strictly true-the Stationair's usually have a 300 hp naturally aspirated engine although some are obviously turbocharged but if you end up working in the Okavango Delta in Botswana you won't be flying with any turbos as the turnarounds are only about 10 minutes. The aircraft also have higher stick forces particularly the elevator controls and any pilot would also do well to use their rudders more so than C152/C172 as the back of the aircraft can have a tendency to fishtail at the back and make your pax feel a bit green!:yuk:

During your type training and practise forced landings the 206 can descend quite rapidly during your 75kt glide and it is not unusual to have 1000-1500fpm indicating on your VSI-even with just two upfront and no pax or freight onboard! The Stationair also doesen't like being dragged in (ie.low and slow)-in fact if you come in slightly high you can often get into a short strip anyway but practise makes perfect. Optimum flap for these aircraft for takeoff is 20 degrees but if heavy you would take 10 degrees instead.

From the time you start flying solo/go online you would probably take about 50 to 100 hours to feel comfortable with your flying. Also keep your eyes on the aircraft all the way down on final approach-206s are not as simple to land as a C172 but not overly difficult either and on rare occasions has been known to give even the experienced guys a small balloon before touchdown-maybe someone can explain why?

Anyway, just a small bit for guys who are looking for info on flying 206s, particularly some pilots who are looking for that first job in the Okavango.

Do any other Stationair drivers have other comments to add?