PDA

View Full Version : Piston Engine Textbooks

QJB
27th Oct 2009, 07:28
Hi there,

Can anyone recommend any decent books on piston engine operation and evolution in aircraft. I don't mean the standard Bob Tait/ATC book, something a fair bit more in depth. I'm struggling with understanding a few concepts but every book I have only gives very vague explanations.

Thanks

J

LeadSled
27th Oct 2009, 08:32
QJB,
Look on the internet for Pelican's Perch, download everything you can find there, and you will have some seriously good information about how to operate piston engines properly, as opposed to all the old wives tales and furphies that pass for "expert tuition" at too may flying schools.
Also email Deacon, the author, ask him for titles, then hunt the internet, starting with Amazon.
Manufacturer's manuals, if you can get originals --- ie; printed in the 1950s-60s, are some help, too many of the later editions have been written by the company liability lawyers, advised by new generation of professional engineers who are seriously clueless about piston engines.
You are starting with the right attitude and approach--- good on you!! Keep it up.
Tootle pip!!

411A
27th Oct 2009, 11:28
.... piston engine operation and evolution in aircraft.

AEHS Home (http://www.enginehistory.org)

QJB
29th Oct 2009, 01:35
Thanks for the responses guys. I've been having a look at both Pelican's Perch and AEHS both are great, it appears I have a fair bit of reading to do. Also got on ebay and found a few circa 1960s lycoming manuals.

Thanks again

J

Jet_A_Knight
29th Oct 2009, 08:58
Try googling Lycoming Flyer Reprints

an3_bolt
29th Oct 2009, 10:50
Lycoming Flyer reprints on the website are great.

I have nothing against the organisation linked to ... but it is a bit too blatant a commercial plug ... JT

downwind
29th Oct 2009, 13:59
I have nothing against the organisation but it is a bit too blatant a commercial plug ... JT

skiingman
30th Oct 2009, 05:04
high speed internal combustion engine, ricardo.

LeadSled
30th Oct 2009, 11:47
Folks,
I have just had a look at the first few paragraphs of the Skyranch book, the samples on their home page.

The subject was fatigue, and the first few paragraphs make me wonder about the rest of the book. In my opinion, the references to the (some) Comet 1 and the Aloha B737 accidents as being simple low cycle fatigue are over simplification to the point of being misleading.

I do hope this book, when it gets to actual piston engines, is more accurate.

Tootle pip!!

PS: I speak as one who has read every volume of the Inspectors Report into the Comet 1, the NTSB engineering analysis of the "belt line" failure in the Aloha 737, and quite a few more accidents and incidents where fatigue was one factor in an accident sequence.

QJB
4th Nov 2009, 03:25
Many thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply. Enjoying reading all of the suggestions.

J

2csonTriple7
4th Nov 2009, 20:39
Here is one of the best books I have come across regarding the operation of radial engines. I loaded it onto rapidshare. You don't have to be a member to download
just be patient, its about 18mb. Just click the Free User button.

Enjoy and happy wrenching.:ok:

RapidShare: 1-CLICK Web hosting - Easy Filehosting (http://rapidshare.com/files/181680270/Engine_Operation__Pratt___Whitney.pdf)

QJB
6th Nov 2009, 03:16
2SawnMD11F, that book is great. Thanks for the link. The quality of books produced back in the 50's and 60's seems far superior to those produced today. I suppose that might have something to do with the fact that the people that wrote them actually had a hand in piston engine design.

Thanks again,

J

2csonTriple7
7th Nov 2009, 18:16
Yep, these books are pretty hard to locate so I have thrown another one up on rapid share for everyone.
This one is from the boys over at Wright and deals with the R3350 Turbo Compound TC18.
It is based on lectures given to aircrews and maintenance by Mr. Norman Rice who was the Supervisor of Operating Manuals at American Airlines circa 1960 and is based on their experience operating and maintaining this powerplant marvel.
"...4-5-6 Contact !"

RapidShare: 1-CLICK Web hosting - Easy Filehosting (http://rapidshare.com/files/302508670/Wright_Aircraft_Engines_Basic_Theory_Of_Operation_Turbo_Comp und_Engine.pdf)