PDA

View Full Version : "RAF Apache" attacked with £8 Torch

Dave-exfairy
18th Oct 2009, 16:45
This is our normal troll.

skydiver69
18th Oct 2009, 17:50
I suppose the difference is that technically the Apache crew aren't allowed to shoot back at a bloke in the UK, but should the Taliban wish to illuminate their position I am sure that they would return the favour with a hail of ammo.

glad rag
18th Oct 2009, 18:00
Perhaps "technically" they would be better improving their public communications first :ok:

Fat Chris
18th Oct 2009, 18:14
Thanks Glad Rag, you've moved the discussion on well there.

Just because the war isn't on your doorstep, doesn't mean that the forces involved don't have to train, sometimes at the expense of a bit of 'peace and quiet'. It's not the Blitz and there aren't hordes of Taliban queueing up to invade but please get yourself a little perspective.

I'd like a bit of clarification on the 'back garden' claim. Smells a bit like an exaggeration.

Nimbys..............:ugh:

SirToppamHat
18th Oct 2009, 18:35
Of course what wasn't mentioned in the news article I saw on TV was the actual effect such an item has on NVGs. Neither was any time spent examining how long this guy spent shining his torch at the helo (and who's to say it was actually that torch he used rather than one of those 'night sun' jobs?).

I also noticed him mutter under his breath that he thought it might be 'another of those bloomin helicopters' (or words to that effect).

I just think there's a bit more to this than meets the eye (no pun intended).

STH

Pontius Navigator
18th Oct 2009, 18:52
The RAF have started flying Apache helicopters, is this some secret squadron? Or is this another shocking lapse in journalists?

Oh do keep up. If it is wearing DPM or CS95 or whatever it is ARMY. If it flies and has roundels it is RAF. If it is a troop transport aircraft is will be a US C130.

barnstormer1968
18th Oct 2009, 19:55
Sounds like this chap is a bit confused. He says he thought he heard an earthquake, and then later used his torch to identify it. Now I may not be an expert in the subject, but I were looking for an earthquake then I would look towards the ground (hoping the word "earth" in the name was a clue):}.

Plus if the helicopter was only ten feet above the ground, at least he would not have strained his neck, as it would have only been about five feet above his eye level!!!, which is also odd as I noticed he did not complain about any damage to his property from the downwash.

Pontius Navigator
18th Oct 2009, 20:38
Sounds like this chap is a bit confused. He says he thought he heard an earthquake, and then later used his torch to identify it. Now I may not be an expert in the subject, but I were looking for an earthquake then I would look towards the ground (hoping the word "earth" in the name was a clue):}.

Plus if the helicopter was only ten feet above the ground, at least he would not have strained his neck, as it would have only been about five feet above his eye level!!!, which is also odd as I noticed he did not complain about any damage to his property from the downwash.

Oh do keep up. The helicopter was BELOW him, he was in his bedroom.

Now perhaps the helo was making like Blue Thunder and using its super high powered optics to see what he was doin in his bedroom. What ther had neglected to do was switch in their whisper mode.:cool:

Duma
18th Oct 2009, 20:50
What ther had neglected to do was switch in their whisper mode.

Presumably they forgot to think in russian!

Fat Chris
18th Oct 2009, 21:16
And what does it have to do with anything that this individual has unfortunately been allowed to spawn not one but TWO more generations of nimbys?

The grandfather used the torch to identify the aircraft.

And, it seems, he has a special, aircraft-identifying torch.

endplay
18th Oct 2009, 21:41
If it's possible to ask a serious question amongst all the wisecracks then can I ask if a torch really poses a flight safety risk given the minimum height restrictions in force?

Scott Diamond
18th Oct 2009, 22:10
Mr Merriott, who owns a theatrical lighting firm, insists he did not put the aircraft at risk as he has had professional experience of lighting up flying helicopters at a Buckingham Palace event hosted by the Queen.
Jesus christ :ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

I once threw a dart and got bullseye, so obviously everytime in the future I throw a dart I'll do the same :ugh:

Photoplanet
18th Oct 2009, 22:14
You should see my 'torch'.... No, really, it's got a handle, but I generally leave it at home, as it takes up too much space in the car boot.

Maybe the crews tend to fly a little low in some areas, but obviously, you shouldn't shine lights/lasers at any aircraft anywhere.. record the incident, with the exact time, and match it with the flightplan/track later.

Flintstone
18th Oct 2009, 22:24
No, no, no. You're going about this the wrong way.

Firstly, you're taking the story at face value. Whatever this web-toed idiot told them there's no guarantee they accurately reproduced it in their tissue of lie..................... sorry, article.

Secondly, he's clearly talking b0llocks. As barnstormer pointed out this would be the first earthquake in history to take place above the, erm.....earth. SirToppam has picked on probably the only certainty in the whole tale which is that there's more to this than meets the eye. A long running grievance would be my guess.

Wouldn't want to be in his shoes when the "RAF" :rolleyes: take their revenge.

arandcee
18th Oct 2009, 22:48
I liked the line about him 'having professionally lit helicopters in the past' too.

I'm guessing he didn't do it with a torch worth six quid that he got for eight quid when he bought 12 litres of sainsburys finest petrol and, and I may be going out on a limb here, the helicopter he 'professionally lit' probably wasn't bristling with all sorts of optical sensor goodies and flown by a guy wearing night vision goggles who likes his retinas where they are thankyouverymuch.

Tosser.

Lancastrian
19th Oct 2009, 04:23
Mind it was a lot more fun in the eighties before the bases where closed. A10s on finals where quite acceptable to our border collie...not even a whimper from him as the porkers passed over. Now, F4s or those "pointed stubby wing things" he would go mental. Did,nt need a torch, old Max could spot em a mile off. Apache,s......nah....Too damn quiet round here these days. He would not even drop his "chewit" for one of them..........:)

Manuel de Vol
19th Oct 2009, 04:29
aaah ... but that was the 80's.

Back in the 60's, the headmistress of a local school (who lived on short finals) filed a complaint alleging that "the pilots are changing gear (shifting into fine pitch) to keep me awake and using their lights to look into my bedroom window."

What a dreamer. If she'd been 30 years younger, perhaps ... but we had other things to do.

astir 8
19th Oct 2009, 07:20
Gents

from a strictly civvie point of view, it there was a f******* great din going on in the dark, in or near my back garden, I would also be inclined to grab a torch & try to find out what was going on.

Wouldn't you?

And to end up in a cell for 9 hours because you don't know that someone out there is wearing night vision enhancing equipment that doesn't like a torch (not a laser) shone at it sounds a bit OTT to me.

P.S. I've got an electric welding mask that auto-darkens when I strike the spark. It cost £80. Doesn't million squid military NVG stuff have something similar built-in? If it doesn't, I'll put my mask in the mail.

Will now run for cover

Lancastrian
19th Oct 2009, 07:27
In all fairness, just seen the interview on Anglia and it does appear like a bit of over-reaction by the authorities. The chap was genuinly trying to ascertain what the hell was going on I think. Now if it had been my garden,...a simply Northen wave with a F*** OFF would have brought swift resolution:) But,....thats the old bill....deserve Oscars ...really do.

BEagle
19th Oct 2009, 08:24
There's a lot of difference, as you say, between trying to find out what had caused the noise by flashing a torch around and deliberately targetting an aircraft with a high powered la.ser.

This does indeed sound like rather an overreaction.

Back in the '70s, the mayor of some German town heard that the 'bona mates' of the Harrier force were leaving Wildenrath and that Phantoms were to be stationed there instead. So, full of self-importance, he wrote to his colleague in Holland suggesting that they should both lodge an official complaint.

The reply from Cloggyland was along the lines of "Yes, we know that Phantoms and indeed Harriers are both very noisy. But we prefer that noise to the sound of the Stuka......" :ok:

parabellum
19th Oct 2009, 10:46
Gents

from a strictly civvie point of view, it there was a f******* great din going on in the dark, in or near my back garden, I would also be inclined to grab a torch & try to find out what was going on.

Wouldn't you?

And to end up in a cell for 9 hours because you don't know that someone out there is wearing night vision enhancing equipment that doesn't like a torch (not a l@ser) shone at it sounds a bit OTT to me.

How sad, Like it or not the country is at war, albeit not on home soil. Sacrifice comes in all shapes and sizes and in this case all that is asked is that the military can train realistically, how come you see yourself as removed from this? Just an armed forces thing, just so long as they don't bother me and interrupt my peaceful life, how selfish can you get?

Much nicer if you were to show some unconditional support for the lads that put their life on the line , for your lifestyle, and rest assured the Apache squadrons are right there in the front line or rehearsing for it.

ACW599
19th Oct 2009, 10:57
>rest assured the Apache squadrons are right there in the front line or rehearsing for it.<

An Apache has not yet been seen in EGOS Field 24 at N52°43’42.24” W002°59’48.23” (N52.72840 W002.99672) and my torch has no batteries.

Load Toad
19th Oct 2009, 11:07
Do we really need stories in the 'media' about old dodderers being arrested for shining torches at jellicopters when it's hard enough already to get the public behind the war in Allbranistan?
Couldn't some bloke from the Polis or the RAF have phoned the old guy up and said something suitably charming to him and left it at that?

astir 8
19th Oct 2009, 11:15
Dear Mr Parabellum

I can assure you that the military has my support. Especially the poor guys on the ground in Afghanistan. Your assumption that I'm anti military is somewhat insulting.

However please go back to the question.

You have a f****** great din happening in or near your back garden in the middle of the night.

What would you have done?

Phill
19th Oct 2009, 11:51
Having recently enjoyed a Show of Force from a couple of these machines I wouldn't put the din anywhere near earthquake stylee.
Unless they were unleashing their ammo at the time, in which case I doubt his trusty torch wouldn't have made a better target.

But I have plenty of space in my back garden for the boys to come and play if you ever make it past Tain again, quite happy to donate some (dimly lit) torches for target practice too!
:}

FlapJackMuncher
19th Oct 2009, 12:30
£8 torch, £30 worth of batteries?

Wader2
19th Oct 2009, 13:00
You have a f****** great din happening in or near your back garden in the middle of the night.

What would you have done?

Rolled over, pulled the bedding over my head and though f***king police and tried to get some sleep.

For sure this happened to me in Reading a few years ago at summer school. It seemed like it was there half the night. Nowt you can do about it, chances of seeing are nil, and it was as likely police as ARMY.

teeteringhead
19th Oct 2009, 13:54
A few years ago at EGOS there was a famously serial complainer who lived pretty adjacent to the field. Apparently, one day his increasingly profane 'phone calls to Ops ended with words to the effect that "Next time one of those blessed choppers disturbs us, I'll take me 12 bore to it...."

OC Ops contacts Old Bill, who give said farmer chappie an interview without coffee ...... and confiscate his shotguns ....... and cancel his Firearms Certificate!

Appropriate result I'd say.....:ok:

Flintstone
19th Oct 2009, 15:07
when some angry farmer guns one of these Apache's out the sky Tony Martin style.....

I doubt they'll even hear the plinking of the pellets.

You don't think an intelligent minded human could devise a way to knock an Apache out the sky?
Fish/barrel :E

Although failing that i'm sure he knows where the base is they fly from and which pub the pilots frequent too. He knows fully well that wannabe tough guys in Apache's acting like rich chavs in the night aren't so much of a threat when they're staggering out the pub car park half drunk, doubt the pilots would fair to well in an unarmed Apache-less combat with a farmer with a shotgun...
What tops it off it most of you snobby forces types wonder why the public has to be bombarded with media propaganda everyday just to feel halfway inclined to "support the troops"

Ahh, I get it. Failed the entrance exam did you? Never mind poppet.

racedo
19th Oct 2009, 15:19
Over reaction that could have been better handled by someone turning up in uniform and apologising for the distrurbance and making him aware of the dangers of doing it plus an invite to come along to the base and have a look see as a guest.

Great PR and then you have a loyal supporter.

WTF do the PR people do all day anyway.

People forget that the everyone in the services operate with the consent of the people, take that away and what do you have ?

Flintstone
19th Oct 2009, 15:35
PR person might work first time around but I'm fairly certain this had 'history'.

barnstormer1968
19th Oct 2009, 16:06
My story was doing OK, and I would have gotten away with it, if that meddling Pontius hadn't come along and insisted I stick to the fact's:}

(note my 'Scooby Doo style' caught in the act line there!).

Ok, Ok I was not strictly accurate, but it sounded good at this end:E, and will try harder to keep up next time.

Chicken Leg
19th Oct 2009, 17:25
The RAF have started flying Apache helicopters, is this some secret squadron?

In their dreams!!

TheWizard
19th Oct 2009, 19:06
I doubt they'll even hear the plinking of the pellets.

http://www.smh.com.au/ffxImage/urlpicture_id_1048354571204_2003/03/25/gal6_chopper.jpg :}:E

(yes, I know, it was all made up)

penny pincher
19th Oct 2009, 19:09
What isn't mentioned at all is the thoroughly nasty letter that accompanied this attack on the AH, believe me, there's a lot more in this that seems to have been conveniently left, as for PR, it's not worth the effort when idiots like this are allowed to lie in the press. Air police is bang on with regards to attitude, trust me.

Lancastrian
19th Oct 2009, 19:55
Yes, I would be the first to admit...there does indeed seem an element of dislike for the new occupants of Wattisham by this chap. If one lives in the vicinity of such an area then its highly likely "roary whizzy things" will be close by to practice the required manouvres of their role. No doubt all will come to light in due course.

Flintstone
19th Oct 2009, 20:00
"I knew this had to be those wretched helicopters again."

I rest my case m'lud. He's got it in for the woppity drivers.

Double Zero
20th Oct 2009, 01:34
I've mentioned this before, but it seems particuarly relevant here...

My grlfriend lives in a small village near Midhurst, West Sussex.

Chinooks going by ( lights off, presumably on NVG's ) during the night are quite frequent.

Some NIMBY in the parish magazine moaned about being " menaced " by them !

I'm ex BAe, and despite that still pro-air, pro - training for 'our' guys off out to hellish conditions on this country's behalf.

I contacted the comms / P.R. Officer at Odiham to ask if they could supply any explanatory posters etc; their response was, " we can do better than that, we'll come and do a presentation explaining why we do what we do" !

Having chatted with the chap who looks after the village hall, we both decided the attendance might well be too small for the RAF to make the effort; the local town of Midhurst has a much better venue, with a large catchment area, so that's planned to happen soon.

By coincidence I happened to ask the parish mag' writer to request in his next issue ' don't shine a bright light at passing helo's / aircraft whatever you do '

Maybe the Appaches and Chinooks etc could carry paintball ammo' for a witty reply to gits with torches or l@sers !

Phill
20th Oct 2009, 10:58
In a previous life living in the 'burbs of sunny Manchester I had more disturbed nights than I do now living on the edge of an LFA & AIAA.

The number of nights spent listening to the constabulary's whirlybird, the wailing of sirens and the screeching of tyres as they tried to catch up with spotty faced chav's upto their nocturnal twocing was pretty much a nightly occurrence.

Now this is where the Apache's should be training, a few bursts from the cannon and spotty faced chav is despatched and we all can get back to sleep. OK a few peeps pride & joys will get totalled in the process but no more than there are now, the crime rate will fall and we avoid the court / prison costs etc.

Thread drift I know......I'm orff!