PDA

View Full Version : PPL theory time limits

Jonathan.4744
18th Oct 2009, 12:47
Hey everyone, I need help understanding this paragraph in LASORS which I have pasted below.

My plan is to do all my PPL theory examinations before I actually start my practical flight training.

"An applicant shall be deemed to have successfully completed the theoretical examinations for the JAR-FCL PPL(A) when awarded a pass in all of the above examinations within a period of 18 months counted from the end of the calendar month when the applicant first attempted the examination.
A pass will be accepted for the grant of a JAR-FCL PPL(A) during the 24 months from the date of successfully completing all of the theoretical knowledge examinations."

Does this mean once I do my first exam (Air Law) I then have 18 months to finish off the rest?

And when I pass all of my exams, my passes (collectively) are valid for 24 months?

airborne_artist
18th Oct 2009, 14:59
My plan is to do all my PPL theory examinations before I actually start my practical flight training.

Is that really wise?

Captain Jock
18th Oct 2009, 15:29
You are correct but the exams and the flying should ideally run concurrently.
Some of the theory may not make much sense done in isolation.

Whirlygig
18th Oct 2009, 15:53
Didn't do me any harm :} although I only took 4 before I started my PPL. I would have liked to have completed all of them except RT, but ran out of time before my full-time course started.

If someone wants to do the exams first, why not? Yes, some parts were harder to understand but not impossible; sloping runways in HF &PP didn't make sense (still doesn't as I don't use 'em :)).

Jonathan, the answers to your questions are both "yes".

Cheers

Whirls

Jonathan.4744
19th Oct 2009, 13:41
Thanks for the answers guys.

I know in the world of commercial training it's common place to complete your theoretical knowledge before actually starting your practical flight training so I don't see why the same approach wouldnt work with my PPL?

It would be pointless going up to learn VOR navigation if you don't truely understand the theory behind the darn thing :}

Sam Rutherford
20th Oct 2009, 14:33
The point some are making (and with which I agree) is that, using your example, learning VOR navigation will be easier if you see it simultaneously happening in the air.

A picture paints a thousand words, or a variation on that theme...

Safe studies :)

Sam.