PDA

View Full Version : FI course a waste of time now?

tropicalfridge
15th Oct 2009, 15:11
Well, its been a year or so now since the industry went belly up, FTN have discussed the abrupt change in demand for instructors and many people I know have been unable to find much more than casual FI work. But on the positive side (or not depending on where you fit in), I also hear that most good FI courses are still booked up for months to come.

My question for discussion if anyone is interested, are these people deluded, or are there still a few good full time FI positions around? By good I mean those offering a living wage of 15hrs + per week.

DA-10mm
16th Oct 2009, 07:29
all i know is that i time out every month, or day (8 in 24)....as a CFI.
no complaints, just long-ass days...but it beats beaing a mall cop.
any thing to keep the mortgage, i guess...

tropicalfridge
16th Oct 2009, 16:57
Is your school still looking for FIs, or are they planning a bonfire for the mountain of CVs they get each month? Am wondering if there are any signs of an improvement in the market yet?

polohippo
17th Oct 2009, 18:41
I was at work the other day and an FI came in looking for a job. He said he'd been looking for a while and had driven to the UK and had visited over 60 schools looking for work and had not been able to secure anything at all. So based on that I'd say it's not looking good at the moment especially for the guys with a newly minted rating.

All I can say to the guys still looking is, keep on trying and I'm sure some thing will come up. I wish you all the best in your search.

BroomstickPilot
21st Oct 2009, 08:40
Hi tropicalfridge,

There is a precedent I think may perhaps be relevant here. In the immediate aftermath of 9/11 there was an abrupt downturn in commercial flying. This resulted in a sudden cease in appointments to the commercial airlines. This situation, of course, backed up into the flying clubs and schools where young instructors suddenly found themselves with no line of advancement.

Then a year or so later, when the commercial airline world had decided how to improve security and had regained its confidence, there was an equally sudden upturn in appointments to the airlines and instructors suddenly vanished from the clubs and schools.

The point I am making here is that changes in employment prospects in commercial aviation are apt to be sudden, and you need to be in the right place at the right time with the right stuff if you are to benefit.

I would say get your FI rating, even if you can't make much use of it for a while. Then when things look up you will be in poll position to benefit from the upturn.

Good luck.

Broomstick.

Wee Weasley Welshman
21st Oct 2009, 12:34
Its £7k plus loss of earnings and there are diddly jobs available.

Do something else.

Capt Pit Bull
21st Oct 2009, 13:31
The real question is why do you want an FI rating? Because only then can you quantify what value it has for you. If you are thinking about it because you want to mark time and earn some cash until the 'next upturn' when you can get a 'proper' job it's unlikely to be a good idea.

Duchess_Driver
1st Nov 2009, 19:45
Slow down......what slow down?

Only just short of last month's total - but more advanced work than last. And I've had a weekend off this month.

Bumper year so far. :ok:

Now, where's the wood?

Cows getting bigger
2nd Nov 2009, 07:20
Snap. Our month-by-month hours are either up or at very least matching last year's.

DA-10mm
4th Nov 2009, 04:21
sorry for the slow response...been away from the homestead for a few days, family business...

Alister--as long as you're not posing as my Chief Pilot and trying to ring my neck, feel free to bust a PM my way. The US of A...not to worry, plenty of JAA here at our school...

tropfri--no bonfire planned as we just signed 50+ new students and the Chief is desperate right now.

I agree with BroomStick---you'll never learn more about flying airplanes (Capt Pit Bull withstanding) than when you have to teach. After 10+ years of being away from instructing, 4 types later, I still get a buzz from a student's first solo. It's probably one of the most prolific licences to have, as long as you're competent and enthusiastic (and your students will pick up on that, if you're not...they'll see right through you) and keep it current.

the most competent co-pilots, and captains, i've ever flown with...have always been, no matter how ever far back, flight instructors.

wingtip338
10th Nov 2009, 16:58
I understand ACS and Leading Edge are looking for additional instructors - especially ME/IR. I presume to start at Perth but may be looking for Cumbernauld or Inverness.