PDA

View Full Version : RIP Bud Evans

shortstripper
11th Oct 2009, 08:45
I've just heard through the Volksplane yahoo group, that Bud Evans died on the 17th August aged 96.

Love them or loathe them, none can doubt that the Evans VP1 and VP2 have made a significant mark on the homebuilt aircraft world. We owe men like Bud a huge "Thankyou!" for making the dream of building and owning your own aeroplane an achievable reality.

William 'Bud' Evans; Aeronautical engineer created build-your-own airplane plans - SignOnSanDiego.com (http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/aug/17/1m17evans001623-william-bud-evans-aeronautical-eng/?uniontrib)

SS

rogcal
14th Oct 2009, 08:01
Actually SS, he made his fnal take-off on the 30th July but even I didn't spot the correct date until I read it before posting an obit on the Yahoo Volksplane Forum and I'm amazed that no one picked up on his death until this month.

Like you say loathe them or love them (I'm on my second VP1) the simplicity of construction gave many homebuilders the experiences needed to go on to other more complex designs.

As for flying a "Veep", you'll find it docile, yet responsive and with an 1834VW up front, an aircraft capable of getting in and out of some very interesting short strips.

RIP Bud.

Phil Space
14th Oct 2009, 18:02
Well no crocodile tears from me. That was a good innings.
I had a cup of tea with Ken Wallis a few weeks ago and he is still flying at 93.

If I can make that then I'll be happy

sandbagsteve
14th Oct 2009, 18:38
Like many characters who build our world, and remain unheard of, I drink a toast to Bud - although I didn't know of him until now. RIP fella, and may your efforts be remembered for a while yet!