PDA

View Full Version : Accident near Blackbushe 10Oct09

Golf-Mike-Mike
10th Oct 2009, 18:45
Does anyone know any more about the forced landing near Blackbushe Airport today, I believe Hawley lake is at the end of the downwind leg in the circuit for rwy 25/07. BBC News reports as follows:

A light aircraft was forced to make an emergency landing in a Hampshire field after getting into difficulty. The single-engine plane came down in a field near Hawley lake in Blackwater, after getting into difficulty near Blackbushe Airfield at about 1100 BST. Police said the pilot, a 38-year-old from London, was the only occupant and unable to return to the airfield. He went to hospital with minor injuries.

PilotPieces
10th Oct 2009, 18:59
Engine failure downwind, could not return.

Cessna 152, 1 POB lucky to walk away :ok:

TheOptimist
10th Oct 2009, 19:09
Glad that the pilot landed it alright. Hope he gets out of hospital quickly.

I'm fairly lucky where I fly from, it has fields for miles and miles every side except directly to the south, where there's a fairly large forrest. as you go upwind. If the engine went there you'd be having kittens, but anywhere else and I'd be fairly confident of landing safely. At least as confident as you can be with engine failure.

PilotPieces
10th Oct 2009, 19:12
Well he did extremely well considering it was student solo circuits and not much to aim for on the ground out that way!

TheOptimist
10th Oct 2009, 19:15
That's excellent piloting then. Regardless of the quality of the landing it must take a very level head to land with no engine, with limited space available and on a student solo.

I'm a low hours student as well (10 hours) and I hope I could manage with the same scenario.

Rich Tyler
10th Oct 2009, 20:50
I believe it was G-BLWV from Blackbushe Aviation.

Cavallier
11th Oct 2009, 02:44
R.I.P G-BLWV

Loved that aircraft, had many 100s of hours instructing in it!!! Glad the guy got out o.k.

The Cav:ok:

Sciolistes
11th Oct 2009, 05:48
A fair chunk of PPL and IMCR WV student hours in my logbook too :( The photos I have seen show a very badly damaged aircraft, a testament to the 152 given the chap walked away. A testament to the chap given his experience (second solo flight so it is said).

chrisbl
11th Oct 2009, 07:17
It was his second solo - a job well done by him, and well trained by the instructor too.

BoeingMEL
11th Oct 2009, 11:10
...let's give credit to the instructor too! Fine achievement... 2nd solo..forced-landing in challenging location... both of them deserve free beers for some time! :ok: bm

silvereagle
11th Oct 2009, 15:35
FLYER Forums • View topic - First lesson / first solo aircraft (Blackbushe Accident) ... (http://forums.flyer.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=58692)

Some photos.

Sir George Cayley
11th Oct 2009, 20:29
That'll all polish out. Be flying again before long.

Sir George Cayley

gmc17
11th Oct 2009, 20:44
First solo and x-country in G BLWV

given the terrain he did exceptionally well!

equine rotorhead
12th Oct 2009, 07:28
The accident happened right in front of my daughter who was on horseback! She said he nearly made it past the trees to the open ground but unfortunately didn't have enough power to miss them. Glad he got out with relatively minor injuries, only a broken wrist is believe.

cats_five
12th Oct 2009, 08:39
Suspect he was well-briefed and that might have helped.

gmc17
12th Oct 2009, 08:45
BTW what time was the incident. We flew back into blackbushe about 15.45 and weren't aware of anything amiss. Mind you we weren't looking for a downed aircraft on downwind!

gmc17
12th Oct 2009, 09:01
sorry just reread originally post!