PDA

View Full Version : Fan Wing

Nearly There
9th Oct 2009, 15:50
This may have been posted in the past, but I cant find anything.

YouTube - FanWing Demonstration Flight at ParcAberporth International UAV/S Event June 2008 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asJqvrikQSA&NR=1)

What would happen in an engine failure situation, do you think or know if it will glide?

Regards
NT

Microburst2002
9th Oct 2009, 16:10
I don't think so, for the same reason it is not affected by turbulence in the same manner as a conventional wing.
Its shape is airplane like but I think it is something between an airplane and a helicopter.
It has a propulsive system that provides both Lift and Thrust. Like helicopters. It is not a fixed wing. Maybe it has some kind of autorotation if the fan fails, but I think that this UAV would glide more or less like a stone after the engine failed. Let alone if the fan stops completely...
It can be useful for Big Brother surveillance over cities, until one of them crashes into someone.:ouch:

HarryMann
9th Oct 2009, 23:49
Looks like it has a good future.
Low power/unit lift (not as low as helicopter for vertical lift) but fwd speed not limited by upwind rotor tip-speed
It will autorotate at about 3:1 glide once the motor is declutched.
VTOL version capability proven

What happens if the rotor seizes/stops is the question (for full-sized and manned flight), but this hasn't inhibited adoption of helicopters, lose the rotor, lose any lift... it may be that a degree of stalled but controlled descent may be possible.

Nearly There
12th Oct 2009, 12:45
Thanks for the responses, Harrymann you seem to have some knowledge of this? are you involved with the project at all?

HarryMann
12th Oct 2009, 18:40
No, but I do like the concept, first new idea for quite a while and I sense there could well be some interesting applications.
The (asserted) fact that gust-response and general turbulence handling is different and better than a conventional wing and discrete thrust generator is very interesting.
As is the distribution of thrust over a large area (always a good thing, partic. noise-wise)

This is a 'circulation theory of lift' implementation, much like the rotating vertical rotor 'substitute for sail' idea for yachts

I'd have liked to have had this idea myself :D

FE Hoppy
12th Oct 2009, 19:47
This idea appeared in an RC modelling mag when I was a boy. It's not new at all.

barit1
13th Oct 2009, 03:09
Check out the Custer Channel Wing (http://www.custerchannelwing.com/).