PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft Cleaning Products

albatross
8th Oct 2009, 00:58
A friend of mine is marketing an all natural cleaning product that is realy amazing.

Everything from washing the car to cleaning the kitchen counter.

I think would work very well on aircraft.

How does one go about getting a product approved for use on aircraft?

411A
8th Oct 2009, 01:50
In the case of the Aero Magnolia Company, they sent a sample of their newly developed 'Fleet Wash' product directly to Boeing as well as several airlines, and asked them to try it out.
This was many years ago, dunno if it would work now.
However...many cleaning products that are useful in the home have proved quite unsuitable for airplanes....corrosion problems with aluminum.

Fargoo
8th Oct 2009, 08:50
Might be easier for him to market it through an exisiting supplier if it's really that good. Let them do all the donkey work as they already have all the experience.

Someone like Petroferm would be good to approach.

albatross
8th Oct 2009, 13:52
Thanks for that but we are really looking for a link to the correct way to do it ourselves.
Internet seaches don't come up with a process to follow.
We are in Canada FYI.

Piltdown Man
9th Oct 2009, 14:07
You'll have to get a manufacturer to put your product in their Maintenance Manuals (ahem, you'll pay for that priviledge by the way). Then you'll have to get insurance. Rest assured, if an aircraft which has been cleaned with your product either bumps into a mountain, runs out of fuel or catches fire, it will be your fault (lovely people lawyers). So if I were you, get a big stickers made which say something like "Not for Aviation use. May contain nuts. Keep away from children, crocodiles, people with heart problems and those who are pregnant. Do not drink. Wear protec..."

PM

jettison valve
14th Oct 2009, 23:20
Hi everybody,

Well, apparently A. and B. got fed up with numerous individual requests for approval of one chemical or the other.
Both issued documents as guidelines (no approvals!) what is to be tested. For AI, youīll find a SIL that refers to an AIMS document. For Boeing, itīs one of their D6-docs.
Both papers refer to paint softening tests, kinds of aluminium hardness tests etc. I have more details at work, if needed.

A good product should be tested against all of those, I suppose.

And then, itīs up to decide to the operator (and MRO) whether to apply the stuff. As an MRO, I would always get the written consent of the operator before the application... :ok:

Cheers, J.V.

Pugilistic Animus
14th Oct 2009, 23:32
that's why the business is so cheap and affordable:}

albatross
17th Oct 2009, 10:48
Thanks JV et al for the info.