PDA

View Full Version : Jump Pilot Questions;

kr0me
4th Oct 2009, 14:05
Hi all, I'm new to this forum but have already found loads of answers to questions I previously had.
I'm a PPL student almost at the end of my course with around 40 hours. I'd like to carry on my flying in the future building up hours by way of piloting jump planes in the U.S. Im a keen skydiver so it'd be the best of both worlds, flying for reward and also jumping in my spare time. I know there are a few regulatory differences between the U.K. and U.S. but wanted to know if anyone knew what the requirements are to be a jump pilot in both countries?
Any information would be greatly appreciated.

rich_g85
4th Oct 2009, 17:12
Hi kr0me,
PPL student here too, but my understanding is that with a vanilla PPL you can't fly for hire or reward. For that you require a CPL. I assume the rules are the same in the States as they are in the UK.

Rich

liam548
4th Oct 2009, 17:31
Could do it for free though?

pa_24_260
4th Oct 2009, 17:37
Lots of UK-specific information on a recent thread here:
http://www.pprune.org/professional-pilot-training-includes-ground-studies/389155-parachute-drop-rating.html

An excellent site covering most aspects of jump flying, including US regulations:
DiverDriver.com: The Jump Pilot's Information Resource (http://www.diverdriver.com/)

Ryan5252
4th Oct 2009, 17:45
With a standard Joe Bloggs PPL you can build your hours by way of dropping parachutists or towing gliders. You can not be paid for either, but you do not have to pay the expense of flying the aircraft. I'm a diver too (though its been a few years) and I plan to do this some summer @ Sebastian in FL, don't know the rules & regs in FAA land but I will look into this when im finished PPL. (Right now im much too busy with ground school!)

Good luck,

Captain Stable
4th Oct 2009, 18:05
I have no idea at all of the rules for flying a jumpship in the USA, but in the UK it's as stated above - i.e. you can fly a jumpship or a tug, but not be paid for either.

Being a skydiver you'll find will help you a lot. I'm a former skydiver myself, and have flown various jumpships - Islander (piston & turbine), C210, Turbine Porter among them.

You'll need to do quite a few trips with an jump pilot instructor/examiner on each aircraft type (if the rules in USA are the same as UK) before being let loose on your own.

As you're probably aware (depending on your jump experience) different jump types require very different skills from the pilot.

For dope ropers all you need to do is hold it steady at low speed for a couple to get in the door and exit.

Style (or 1-way RW ;) ) is also quite simple, but you need to follow RT instructions to the letter for the run-in over the cameras/telemeters. Call "Standby Standby" and "Exit Exit Exit" to the jumpers before acknowledging the call to the ground.

Hardest of all to fly is RW and any form of launch. You'll have them crawling all over the outside of your aircraft, mucking up the airflow and wondering if they look cool enough for the camera for ages before you can remove them and head for a cup of coffee. All that time, of course, you're close to the stall with low power set. I believe there is a video on YouTube of a BN2 stalling and then spinning with skydivers attached to the outside. :eek:

Be prepared for the CCI to want you on the ground 5 secs after the drop. If flying a piston, beware the Chief Pilot berating you for shock-cooling an engine or encouraging piston slap for coming down too fast with not enough power on. Remember - sideslipping is your friend.

If you lose the OP and they have to come down with you, be ready for it all to be your fault - even if cloud cover is 7/8.

Flat turns on the run-in are order of the day - use loads of rudder and opposite aileron, then gradually uncross the controls. Worst is the jumpmaster who calls "5 right - 5 right - 5 right - 5 right..." and you don't get a chance to uncross.

Finally, if flying something like a C210, KEEP A SPARE KEY ON YOUR PERSON. Sooner or later some d1ckhead is bound to think it's funny to lean over you, remove the key, and go out of the door with it. :uhoh: This happened to me. But I got my revenge. :E On our next lesson, we'll cover how to put someone out of the door 5 miles short of the DZ... :}

MIKECR
4th Oct 2009, 18:23
In the UK there is an actual jump pilot certificate which is issued by the British Parachute Association. It is not an officialy recognised 'rating' as per the CAA, as the BPA are pretty much self regulated. The training required is generally based on 5 hours of flying which will include familiarisation of the aircraft involved, followed by instruction on things such as 'run in's', static line jumps, tandems, emergenies etc. There is a also a fairly straight forward written test which will cover most aspects of jump piloting. Once you've completed the relevant training then thats you good to go.

Most clubs will prefer some reasonable experience in terms of hours and will also prefer some kind of instrument qualification such as an IMC rating. You will probably be expected to pay for your own training too in terms of aircraft hire until you get your rating. Have a look at the British Parachute Association website for more info.

S-Works
4th Oct 2009, 19:09
You will also need a CPL to be a jump pilot in the USA. You are also pretty unlikely to get a job in the UK these days as a PPL. Parachute dropping is a very intensive activity and requires skill and precision as a pilot. Most clubs I know will not look at a pilot with less than 500 hours or without a CPL and IR or IMC. Then you get into the individual type requirements, tailwheel, turbine etc.

Nothing comes for free in life......

dublinpilot
4th Oct 2009, 19:26
Finally, if flying something like a C210, KEEP A SPARE KEY ON YOUR PERSON. Sooner or later some d1ckhead is bound to think it's funny to lean over you, remove the key, and go out of the door with it. This happened to me. But I got my revenge. On our next lesson, we'll cover how to put someone out of the door 5 miles short of the DZ...

Thanks CS for a good laugh :ok:

SNS3Guppy
4th Oct 2009, 20:49
Could do it for free though?

No.

In the United States, a minimum of a commercial pilot certificate is required to fly for compensation or hire. Even if the pilot doesn't get paid, if the jumpers are paying for the flight it's a commercial operation. If the pilot logs the hours, the FAA also considers this compensation every much as if the pilot were getting paid. Pilots have tried to get around the requirement for a commercial in the past by suggesting that they'll just waive the fee...but the FAA has closed that loophole quite some time ago by ruling that the logging of the flight time is compensation. A private pilot may not fly for compensation or hire, or operate a flight which is for compensation or hire.

Working in the United States is another issue.

Finding work in the United States when so many US pilots are out of work is yet another issue. Good luck with that.

Making skydives...always welcome. The world needs more skydivers.