PDA

View Full Version : D130 telephone number

Mad Girl
2nd Oct 2009, 12:56
Could someone help please?

Hopefully going on a trip tomorrow and want to check the status of D130 near Oakhangar.

The AIP gives a 'phone number of "AIS Heathrow 020-8745 3451" which isn't connecting.

Does anyone have a more current contact number?

Thank You :ok:

Captain Stable
2nd Oct 2009, 13:10
You can find out from Farnborough 125.25 when airborne.

Unless you want to sterilise yourself, beware flying through the area of intense radio activity centred close to Oakhangar. It's identifiable by huge golfball radar heads on the ground - can be seen for miles.

Mad Girl
2nd Oct 2009, 13:29
Thanks CS - But I really want to do as much preparation as possible on the ground so that I've got One thing less to do in the air - hence looking for a 'phone number.

Captain Stable
2nd Oct 2009, 13:49
OK - try ringing Farnborough.

Simples! :ok:

chevvron
2nd Oct 2009, 14:28
I'm not surprised the phone number for AIS doesn't work, AIS moved out of Heathrow some time ago!! Try 01489 612500 and ask for AIS or FIR.
By the way, the circle round Oakhanger is misleading, it only transmits towards geostationary satellites on the equator and according to RAF documents, is only hazardous to some aircraft systems (not to humans) south of an east-west line through the site.

IO540
2nd Oct 2009, 14:52
Unless you want to sterilise yourself,

What a load of nonsense.

This isn't one of those proposals to place a 1 gigawatt solar array in space, beaming the output as a microwave beam back to earth :)

Anyway, in a metal cockpit, the energy required to "sterilise" a human (presumably, by RF heating of the tissues of the "relevant parts"?) would melt the cockpit first.

It's a load of nonsense.

The field strength is no greater than flying through a 10kW-100kW radar beam, which are as common as muck.

Pace
2nd Oct 2009, 14:56
By the way, the circle round Oakhanger is misleading, it only transmits towards geostationary satellites on the equator and according to RAF documents, is only hazardous to some aircraft systems (not to humans) south of an east-west line through the site.

Chevron

There has been much documented information concerning aircraft disappearing without trace when entering this area. Just to correct you its not a circle but a triangle :E So beware flying in the area

Pace

Windy Militant
2nd Oct 2009, 16:07
The avoid area is not to protect us as we bimble past, but more to stop us disrupting the incoming signals both by physical blocking, rf interference from the ignition system and if I remember correctly the infamous case of somebody destroying some delicate equipment at Jodrell Bank by transmitting while in front of the dish. The boffins were expecting a few pico watts from outer space and got about 50 watts at about 2nm. :}

Captain Stable
2nd Oct 2009, 16:11
IO540, I didn't think anyone would take my comment literally. You surprise me
Anyway, in a metal cockpit, the energy required to "sterilise" a human (presumably, by RF heating of the tissues of the "relevant parts"?) would melt the cockpit first.However, try telling that to a radiographer.

IO540
2nd Oct 2009, 16:35
50 watts at about 2nm

That would take quite some antenna... :)

chevvron
2nd Oct 2009, 16:36
Pace: I've never heard of aircraft 'disappearing without trace' in the area, and I've operated round here for nearly 40 years, including flying through the HIRTA several times and I haven't disappeared either (as far as I know). What I was indicating was it is incorrectly depicted as a circle on aeronautical charts.

Pace
2nd Oct 2009, 17:05
There has been much documented information concerning aircraft disappearing without trace when entering this area. Just to correct you its not a circle but a triangle So beware flying in the area

Chevron :)

This was not a serious comment but a joke comparing the area to the Bermuda triangle :rolleyes: But dont worry not many get my humour.

Pace

Johnm
3rd Oct 2009, 07:03
Why has nobody suggested flying above 2300ft???

Mad Girl
3rd Oct 2009, 07:23
Thanks for the help...

I rang Farnborough, who asked me to call on another number, who gave me another number which put me onto an AIS guy - a very long chat later - they will be amending the enroute information in the AIP in the next 2 months.

As at 15:30 yesterday it was not notamed to be any higher than 1800ft. I was assured that if they decided to lift the level, by Notam, in the next few hours it "would" appear in my narrow route briefing, in the en-route section, on the day.

And after all that - It isn't going to matter today as my flying club rang late yesterday afternoon to tell me that the aircraft I had booked has gone tech.... :{.