PDA

View Full Version : Airfield near Dundonnell (Ullapool)?

tmmorris
1st Oct 2009, 16:14
Any airfields around Dundonnell, near Ullapool, IV23?

I ask without much hope but I have to trek up there for a week and it would be nice to avoid the car journey!

Tim

A and C
1st Oct 2009, 16:37
Fearn 13 NM nne of Inverness airport.

Feshiebridge 6 NM ssw of Aviemore.

DB6
1st Oct 2009, 16:47
Dundonnell's only about an hour and a half from Inverness Airport. Stunning road as well. If you can't get there in your own plane there are plenty of scheduled flights.

PH-UKU
1st Oct 2009, 19:53
Well, although it is salt water and tidal, the nearest is ...
Little Loch Broom (http://www.geograph.org.uk/browse.php?gridref=nh0888&setref=Show+%3E&gridsquare=NM&eastings=68&northings=67)

You could try flying to Perth(or Oban) and seeing if Neil Gregory (Google Neil's Seaplanes) would do it - and you get to log some seaplane time. Only 1 spare seat in the Husky though, and it's getting to the end of the season, so wind, weather and tide might be a factor. Or rent the C206 from Loch Lomond Seaplanes .... ?

Or if you have pals up there with a 4x4, perhaps Loch na Sealga (http://www.geograph.org.uk/browse.php?gridref=nh0581&setref=Show+%3E&gridsquare=NH&eastings=8&northings=88) (freshwater) is possible, and get them to pick you up. Looks like 6 miles of dirt track/footpath?

Lateral thinking ;)

Kiltie
3rd Oct 2009, 11:24
tmmorris there is nothing up there unfortunately. A chap in Perth runs a Maule in to a field at Achnasheen. Best bet probably Knockbain Farm, Dingwall, to minimise your driving time. This reduces the drive from Inverness by half an hour at least. 600m firm grass and a welcoming owner (with PPR).

tmmorris
3rd Oct 2009, 19:39
Thanks all, will investigate. I should have known A and C would find a way (it being his aircraft I would be renting!)

Tim

PH-UKU
3rd Oct 2009, 20:29
Achanasheen is about 50 miles away by very long and very windy road. Knockbain is 600m (if I recall) grass, perched on top of a hill with stunning views along the Cromarty Firth, and about the same distance. Interesting approach from the east, needed full power to get up the first third ! :}

BTW Achnasheen is also pretty short - 321.4m (approx) of hard flat gravel (and big weeds) - loch at one end, river at the other. Also ramp for driving amphibs out of water. :cool:

Check geograph for photos in the Dundonnell local area - maybe there is a 400m field that could take a Husky/Cub/C185 .. ? As a last resort, PLM at Inverness could probably rent you a chopper..........

or ......

.... there's a big military exercise off the westcoast of Scotland with HMS Invincible at the moment. Persuade HM's finest to anchor in Loch Broom and Bob's your mum's brother - instant landing strip. :ok:

cats_five
4th Oct 2009, 07:59
I find myself wondering where the OP will hire a car at some of the suggested remote strips - or will he get out of the aircraft with his rucksack and start walking there and then?

A and C
4th Oct 2009, 08:23
I fear It will be the other one!
It looks as if my aircraft will be in the sheds having it's second Annual check of the year!

tmmorris
4th Oct 2009, 19:09
cats_five, it is for a mountain leadership course so there might be brownie points in that solution...

Not until January, A and C, so hopefully the annual will be over by then...

Tim