PDA

View Full Version : After 14 years of not flying, I'm a pilot again!

AdamFrisch
30th Sep 2009, 18:01
Just did my renewal/skills test today at Lydd Airfield for PPL (A) SEL/SEP. Very happy!

Now, as some might remember, I have a Swedish JAA license, but had no rating as I had gotten my license back in the days before JAR and got grandfathered in. It expired in the year 2000, but I haven't flown since 1996.

This info might be useful for other JAA license holders from abroad: you can renew/revalidate any foreign JAA license by taking a checkride/skills test in another JAA state. In this case my license is Swedish, but the renewal and test took place in the UK. This was an uncertainty when I first asked and not very clear, but a phone call to the Swedish equivalent to the CAA cleared it all up.

So for all the headaches the EASA stuff is giving us at the moment, this (and many other features), have the potential to be quite handy when it all gets integrated in 2012.

Now to a question:

Back in the days of flying on my Swedish pre-JAA license, I was type rated (yes, each type needed to be in the license) on Cessna 152/172 (they shared the same rating), Piper PA32 Lancer, TB10 and PA28. Am I still allowed to fly those?

Does the concept of type ratings still exist with JAA? And if they do, do I need to get revalidated on each type when I do a Proficiency Check?

Thanks. And duck - here I come, unfortunately.

S-Works
30th Sep 2009, 18:04
You now have a class rating for Single Engine Piston. All of those types are covered by the SEP Class rating. When renting you will no doubt have to have a check flight but thats all.

BackPacker
30th Sep 2009, 20:00
This info might be useful for other JAA license holders from abroad: you can renew/revalidate any foreign JAA license by taking a checkride/skills test in another JAA state. In this case my license is Swedish, but the renewal and test took place in the UK. This was an uncertainty when I first asked and not very clear, but a phone call to the Swedish equivalent to the CAA cleared it all up.

Yep, all examiners within the JAA countries are considered equal. The one thing to remember is that if an examiner whose paperwork was issued by country A, performs a flight exam (or revalidation, or something) for a pilot whose paperwork was issued by country B, is that country B does not necessarily have any records of that examiner. So you make a copy of his/her license, examiners authorizations and everything, and simply send that along with the rest of the paperwork to country B.