PDA

View Full Version : Flying to Blackpool

PAPI 32
29th Sep 2009, 23:29
I'm planning to fly to Blackpool. Anyone based/flown there before?

I'm flying from the desolate and quite flat fens aka Fenland so I'm looking for a bit of a challenge. My routing should take me over Sheffield, through the Yorkshire Dales, tracking inbound and outbound the Pole Hill VOR. The only thing I'm a little doubtful of is that my MSA, due to large poles extending from the ground, exceeds the height of some of the Class A airways for Manchester. (Airway L975 and the Manchester TMA) I wanted to know what is the best way of navigating around that part of the world, basically West of Leeds Bradford. I sound like such a novice but I have learned there are some quite experienced pilots around these forums so I know I'll be getting the best advice. :O

Sam the Teen Pilot.

soay
30th Sep 2009, 07:26
Once you reach Bradford, call Leeds approach for a Basic Service and let them know you're routing via POL and climbing to 3000ft. After passing POL, Leeds will advise you to freecall Blackpool approach. Route to keep clear of Warton's MATZ and remain north of the M55. Descend to about 2000ft by the time you cross the M6 and head for the Inskip VRP. Listen to Blackpool's ATIS to find out the runway in use and the weather, and get ready to change to TWR when instructed. If 28 is active, you'll probably get a left turn to a right base join for the RH circuit. For 10, it'll be a downwind join for a LH circuit. If there's a bit of crosswind, you may get offered 13 or 31, so just do as ATC say.

Don't forget its PPR, as parking is restricted. If you call Westair in advance, they'll probably let you park outside their hangar.

baldwinm
30th Sep 2009, 08:06
Sound advice above. Personally I'd intially route east of sheffield perhaps turning at the "Concrete VOR" of Emley moor TV mast (1924 amsl). This will keep you well clear of the Manchester TMA. If flying during the week contact Warton app first after Leeds. Inskip VRP is a number of radio masts on a disused airfield - can be surprisingly difficult to spot in daytime. There are a couple of gasholders at approximately the right position for a 28 right base join/ 10 downwind join.If an easterly wind the final part of your circuit will be over the sea which may/may not be a novelty for you.
Hope this helps.

Malcolm

PAPI 32
30th Sep 2009, 08:58
Haha, concrete VOR. Yeah I think I'll route East of Sheffield, overhead the Emley Moor mast then some point NW of Bradford. Due to my MSA I'll be flying at 3000ft. Do I want to ask Leeds for a zone transit because their Western CTA is 3000-FL85?

The AIP said you need to always contact Warton before contacting Blackpool Approach so I'll probably called up the ATIS briefly before going to Warton. I only have one Com.

Thanks for the help anyway!

englishal
30th Sep 2009, 09:22
I haven't looked at a map, but are there any LARS units on your route of flight? If so I'd call them for a Traffic service rather than requesting a Basic service from anyone...

PAPI 32
30th Sep 2009, 09:33
I always use the LARS and try for a traffic service. I'll have to do a couple of MATZ crossing initially, Cottersmore and Barkston but both are really accommodating and can still give a Traffic Service. Then Leeds Bradford for a zone transit then straight to the Warton LARS once I'm in range.

I crossed the Stansted TMZ last week and the nice lady on the end offered me a traffic service outside of her zone before entering. I thankfully caught the quiet stint as Stansted as she had me pass right through the Stansted glideslope. Hopefully Leeds will do the same thing if they are not terribly busy.

baldwinm
30th Sep 2009, 11:21
Sam,

from what you say I'm assuming you will be flying VFR. Given the English weather you will be restricting the days you can make this trip if you are intending maintaining an IFR MSA. For instance It would be perfectly feasible and legal to plan this trip at 2500 VFR. Just a thought.

DX Wombat
30th Sep 2009, 12:09
Earlier this year I did some flying with WestAir at Blackpool they were very friendly and helpful. As someone there said to me, it must be the easiest airport to find - just look for Blackpool Tower. The approach over the sea isn't really a problem as you aren't very far out.

PAPI 32
30th Sep 2009, 12:10
Yeah VFR only. :yuk:

Having a look I could fly at 2500ft but it's under my MSA. There is a mast at 2490ft a dew miles E of Manchester but having said that flying at 2500ft I could route closer to Leeds under the CTA if they didn't want to give me a zone clearance. Either way I need a buster of a good day to make sure those cloud are at least above 3000ft. If it's good tomorrow I might give it a try.

Them thar hills
30th Sep 2009, 17:06
Sam

The mast east of Manch is Holme Moss, 2490 ft amsl, the mast itself is only about 750 ft but it's on a B great hill.

Routing abeam Emley Moor by say 3 miles southwest will take you more or less over Crosland Moor airfield, and a couple of miles further on there's the pair of masts at Moorside Edge-1637 ft. These aren't all that easy to see, whereas Emley and Holme Moss stand out quite well.

Don't necessarily expect a reply from Huddersfield Radio if you do call them. Just remain clear of their circuit area....(no ATZ) A call for ppr would be a good idea, in case you need a plan "B" !

As said previously, you can fly this route safely enough in VMC at 2500 ft.

Have a good trip !.

tth

2high2fastagain
30th Sep 2009, 19:07
Leeds are very helpful. I think they are aware of the stress the airspace gives us and always very happy to offer a transit when asked. They also advised me that Warton wouldn't be there when I called.
Some of my flying friends have moaned about the landing fees being a bit on the expensive side, but let's not start that debate again!
Best advice I've had is from my other half. 'Don't fly into the big dipper' she said 'it will be on the telly'. She obviously didn't look at the chart!

Zulu Mike
30th Sep 2009, 19:15
Sam
If you dont want to chance the weather over the Pennines which can be a bit unpredictable I would route Fenland - Trent VOR - Winsford Flash VRP at southern end of the low-level route (call Liverpool approach or listening watch on Manchester App Squawking 7366) Haydock Park VRP Route from there towards Marshside VRP which is preferred for Warton MATZ transit and looking at forecast wind for tomorrow a straight in on 31 would seem to be the one to ask for from Blackpool who are very friendly and generally try to accomodate. Enjoy the trip & dont forget to phone for PPR number.

ZM (flying from EGNH since 1983):ok:

PAPI 32
30th Sep 2009, 19:33
Thanks for the info tth!

I would definitely like to route over the Pennines if the weather is good tomorrow, I'm sure it's quite nice to look down at! Thank you again for that information Zulu Mike, I might route back to Fenland the way you have just explained. I rang Blackpool tonight and they just told me to ring them tomorrow morn and they'll give me a PPR number.

As planned EGCL - NEWTON DISUSED - INBOUND 132R POLE HILL VOR - OUTBOUND 285R to INSKIP - BLACKPOOL.

I'll let you know how it goes!

Sam

baldwinm
1st Oct 2009, 07:17
Go for it! (Of course it's your decision...)

PAPI 32
1st Oct 2009, 22:13
Flew the route as described, absolutely fantastic. Yorkshire looked very pretty and Blackpool were extremely accommodating. Had to orbit for 5 minutes for a JET2 737 but it's great to be mixing with the heavies. Thank you everyone for you're advice and I'll definitely be visiting again

Them thar hills
2nd Oct 2009, 05:48
Sam
Pleased it worked out. You couldn't have had a better day.
What type of aircraft did you use ?
tth

PAPI 32
2nd Oct 2009, 08:40
There wasn't much parked about surprisingly. A couple of Jet2 737's, we arrived and departed at the same time. GA wise it was quiet, we were marshalled onto the apron opposite the Avgas fuel pumps and not onto Fydle Park. Landing fee was a hefty £26 but if that goes towards the airport ATC, which was truly top notch, I'm not terribly disheartened.

Beethoven
2nd Oct 2009, 18:21
I must admit I really miss Blackpool. I passed my PPL with Westair and enjoyed it very much indeed. I haven't been back in nearly 8 years and this thread has made me decide to go back up there (when my aeroplane has an engine again...). I would highly recommend Westair to anyone. Is the cat still alive?

Beet.

liam548
3rd Oct 2009, 13:58
Nice thread to follow. This is my neck of the woods and would like to fly a similar route in the future. Id always save it for the very best flying days though with the pennines and airspace restrictions. And them there masts!

update on 15/06/2012 re prices

"The Landing fee would be £32.50 and Handling would be £14:50 the first 2 hours parking would be free then it would be £7.80 for the 24 hour period.
If you are coming to Hangar 3 then please confirm, including from and to destinations and arrival and departure times. We offer free transport locally."

ouch