PDA

View Full Version : Gliding with 'a tsunami in the sky' . . .

G-CPTN
29th Sep 2009, 21:13
An Australian man has become the world's first hang-glider to perform aerobatics through dangerous "Morning Glory" clouds above the Gulf of Carpentaria.
More at:- Gliding with 'a tsunami in the sky' (http://news.ninemsn.com.au/glance/869276/surfing-with-a-tsunami-in-the-sky)

vihai
29th Sep 2009, 22:31
Why are those clouds dangerous?

Are they more or less dangerous than a rotor cloud?

L'aviateur
29th Sep 2009, 22:37
Wow, interesting phenomenon

Morning Glory cloud - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morning_Glory_cloud)

chrisN
30th Sep 2009, 00:10
The reference in Wiki includes: "The cloud can also be described as a solitary wave or a soliton, which is a wave that has a single crest and moves without changing speed or shape." - But they illustrate it with a picture of 3 parallel morning glory clouds.

The newspaper article says: ' . . . "Morning Glory" clouds, which can stretch up to 1km-long . . ". Wiki says up to 1000 km long (which is what I have read before, and the picture certainly seems to show much longer than 1km).

In view of the speed of the wave, which the pilot has to stay in front of or risk getting into the really turbulent top/middle/back of the roll cloud, getting into the latter certainly sounds dangerous to me. As to whether more so than rotor, I suppose it depends on the rotor. Some UK ones are quite rough. Some USA ones have broken gliders, I believe, but somebody over there might be better informed. Seeing the size and vigour of the morning glory, it is not something I would like to be in the wrong part of.

Chris N.

(edit to clarify, and to remove comment about aerobatics)

vihai
30th Sep 2009, 08:15
I read of descending air up to -7 m/s, I've never encountered such strong falling air, it would be "interesting" :)

mary meagher
30th Sep 2009, 12:38
Amazing! I hope that hang glider pilot confined his aerobatics to the leading edge!

Its clearly different from wave flying as found in the UK; these useful phenomena are marked by lenticular clouds that remain stationary over a ground point (at least until the upper wind shifts). Caused by a smooth flow of air over an upwind mountain range, gliders soar the leading edge much as one soars a ridge, and avoid the rotor that forms inside, and at the rear. Smooth and continuous lift, from one set of dinner plates in the sky to the next set upwind can lead to ascents without power up to 38,000 in the UK and 48,000 in the US - can anyone tell me if there is wave in Europe?

I'm pretty sure you can find wave behind the Andes.

vihai
30th Sep 2009, 17:03
can anyone tell me if there is wave in Europe?

Of course there is.

I had my first wave flight less than one month ago in the south of the Alps with steady lift of 3 m/s average up to 4500m (then I had to descend because I wasn't oxygen equipped).

Bye,

chrisN
30th Sep 2009, 20:26
See YouTube - RB Glory Glide VNR 280909 HQ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMdyT-rIXao)

Hang gliding at Morning Glory cloud starts about 2 minutes in.

Chris N.

Fly-by-Wife
30th Sep 2009, 20:48
Surely a "morning glory" cloud should be vertical? :p

I'll get my dressing gown...

FBW

vanHorck
1st Oct 2009, 09:06
depends on your age and if you re a smoker...