PDA

View Full Version : 'Laying up' an aircraft

robin
25th Sep 2009, 13:36
For any number of reasons (mainly financial) I may have to stop flying my aircraft for a while. Given its current state it is not likely to fetch much on the open market and I hope to be able to fund the necessary renovation eventually.

Now if I can't find someone to buy it, and I were to decide to put her on ground risk, where do I stand with the ARC renewal?

My MO says it needs a new windscreen and probably a recover to pass the next inspection. So if I don't do the annual/ARC renewal by the expiry date, what do I have to do to get it back?

A and C
25th Sep 2009, 16:24
I could not give any advice as you have not given enough data for a reasoned responce to be made.

If you tell us what type it is then may be we can help you. (even if it is a Robin as your name hints I cant tell if it is metal or wood)

ak7274
25th Sep 2009, 17:50
Recover?........... With tin?.........betcha not.

robin
25th Sep 2009, 18:20
Good guess - it is a wooden wonder.

But to an extent that is irrelevant. My question is simply that if I need to lay her up for (say) a year so that some work can be done on her, how to get a new ARC which would probably have expired.

Obviously it is good to do the 50hr/6 month and annual checks, but if she is in pieces that won't be possible.

Miles Magister
26th Sep 2009, 08:15
Robin,

It is often good to get some independent advice on such things. I appreciate that you might be trying to keep costs down but a professional answer could save you money later.

I have used these PAQM (http://www.paqm-aero.com) guys for advice on business jet maintenance before. I am not sure if they do light aircraft but they did seem to know the 145 rules when I used them.

MM

bambuko
26th Sep 2009, 09:49
MM, if I read Robin's question correctly, it's not about maintenance or the work to be done, but about ARC.
As far as I know, you if you do the new ARC within 12 month of the old one lapsing, than you simply submit it and Bob's your uncle, but beyond 12 month it all gets complicated and (even more than usual) expensive :ugh:

robin
26th Sep 2009, 10:23
Exactly so

Given that our group has suffered from redundancy/loss of income etc etc, we are considering going into hibernation for a while. But if the cost of letting the ARC lapse is that bad, then we'll have to think again.

Oh I just love Part M.......:ugh:

A and C
26th Sep 2009, 10:46
ak7274 Very good guess but I perfer to have all the facts before rushing into print.

Robin It sounds to me as if the aircrafts wing will have to come off for the re-cover so why not find a dry barn and store the aircraft with the wing off, this is likely to cost less than hangarage. the aircraft will then be in a state to start work on when the money becomes avalable.

The engine will require inhibiting and the airframe storage must be rodent proof.

When the aircraft is re-activated it will require an inspection by the CAA (EASA) who will look at the aircraft & paperwork, with a simple type like the Robin this should only be a half day visit, after all the aircraft will have been re-covered and had a very through inspection that will have included about all that they would want to look at. This assumes that the aircraft will be out of use for over a year.

jxc
26th Sep 2009, 12:32
I have seen some little inflatable cocoon type things that you can store cars in and takes the humidity out of the air inside look at the link tosee what I mean maybe find one long enough and put plane inside with wings of, I know they use very little power

Classic Car Storage in Manchester- Lancashire Car Storage (http://www.lancashirecarstorage.co.uk/classic.php)

Arclite01
28th Sep 2009, 09:15
those storage things look amazing............

Arc