PDA

View Full Version : Wounded - BBC 1

sidewayspeak
24th Sep 2009, 18:47
Anybody watch this last night - Wounded BBC1? Truely humbling.

Both find their way in the end, but the young Para is made of very strong stuff. I hope that the second part of their lives treat them well - viewing like that makes you understand how important the fund-raising work done Help for Heroes is.

BBC iPlayer - Wounded: Part 1 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00mzs74/Wounded_Part_1/)

Duncan D'Sorderlee
24th Sep 2009, 19:26
I have yet to watch the full programme - too near my bed-time! However, I have to concur that the young para was/is made of the strongest stuff. Truly humbling.

Duncs:ok:

Spam_UK
24th Sep 2009, 19:41
Was a brilliant program and really brought home the challenges faced by those guys. Not ashamed to admit to having slightly blurry vision and a runny nose during some parts of the documentary!

Dengue_Dude
24th Sep 2009, 19:47
But sadly not for the bloody politicians and mandarins who want to take benefits off them - there are so many deserving cases out there who need the money to buy trainers and baseball caps to wear back to front whilst waiting in the queue for their 'wages'. They've not even served a pizza, let alone this bunch of corrupt politicians.

Bit unbalanced isn't it?

If I wore a hat, I'd take it off. I was in Rehabilitation in Chessington in 1971 after a motorbike crash, and saw the same kind of dogged determination in the guys shot up in NI.

Bless you guys, we should be giving them the best, not hassle. Thanks to the hospital staff too - that must take a huge amount of commitment too.

Saintsman
24th Sep 2009, 20:21
Although it was centred on just two, there were lots of others in the background who looked as if they were just as determined. They all seemed to have good senses of humour too. It must cost a fortune to get them up and running but I'm sure we'll all agree, its worth every penny, especially when you see them back on the job.

After the programme, I hope that more of the public appreciate what risks these troops face in order to do their jobs. Sadly, the facilities are going to be required for some time yet.

4mastacker
24th Sep 2009, 20:43
I believe the programme is being repeated on Friday 25th September on BBC 3 at 2100. Having watched it, I would suggest that Mr Dyson re-designs his machines as they obviously didn't collect all the dust and grit in 4ma's garden shed. It was an intensely moving and powerful programme and a full box of Kleenex is recommended (for the ladies of course) if you intend to watch it.

flash8
24th Sep 2009, 21:45
Can be watched on-line at the BBC Web Site (which is how I saw it) - sorry lost the link and can't find it again!

As has been said, truly humbling.

alwayslookingup
25th Sep 2009, 00:51
Agree with everything above, a truly moving piece of documentary, made all the better by the fact the BBC gave a full 90 minutes to it and didn't fit it into a One Show type 20 minute slot.

The extra time allowed the programme to portray just the sheer physical and emotional turmoil such injuries cause to all concerned with the injured.

One also doesn't realise just how truly horrific some of injuries caused by IEDs can be. As the surgeon treating one of the soldiers commented on IEDs, "a bit of coward's way of waging war".

More than once during the film I found myself asking who would want to do this to another human being, often for a few dollars. At the start of the conflict in Afghanistan I disagreed with it. The more it goes on, however, the more I am wholly behind the moves to get rid of the Taliban once and for all. They truly are barbaric and inhuman, cruel and unforgiving. They've no place in a modern world but sadly I fear there are going to be many more casualties like the two portrayed last night before it ends.

As a footnote, just over three years ago PPrune ran a campaign against objectors who didn't wish a house near Hedley Court to be converted into accommodation for those visiting loved ones in Hedley Court. Would it be too much to hope that those objectors saw last night's programme, and even too much more to hope they felt just a little guilty for their actions at that time.

PPRuNe Pop
25th Sep 2009, 06:57
We can only hope can't we.

A most moving programme. The Taliban are indeed the most evil of the evil.

dinoorin
25th Sep 2009, 08:54
Echo the sentiments.
Truly unbelievable the mental stamina those boys have.
Kleenex required if you watch - very moving.

dead_pan
25th Sep 2009, 09:32
Indeed, it was a deeply moving programme. I really felt for the Belfast lad. I was also very taken by the camaraderie amongst the patients at Hedley Court (even the para and marine had put their differences aside).

One also doesn't realise just how truly horrific some of injuries caused by IEDs can be. As the surgeon treating one of the soldiers commented on IEDs, "a bit of coward's way of waging war".

Hmm - I'm sure the injuries inflicted by SA80 & 50 cal rounds, WP grenades etc etc are just as bad. As for a coward's way of war, well it is a shame that they're not up for a fair fight, then neither would I be in their position. Don't forget they believe in their cause as much as we do (if not more so - remind me, why are we there again?)

barnstormer1968
25th Sep 2009, 09:51
I watched this via BBC I Player.
Compulsive viewing, but also very harrowing. I found the screen very blurry at times, maybe due to my paternal instincts playing up (I raised my children as a single parent), plus the fact that the lads in the programme are the same age as my own two boys.

It was great to see the camaraderie these young lads showed during treatment, and I even found myself clapping when the para took his his unsupported steps on his stubbies:ok:

The programme showed IMHO that our young lads and lasses are built of stern stuff, and we should and can be very proud of them in the way the conduct their lives (in conflict and peace), a far cry from the way this group are often portrayed on TV.

Well done to the BBC for this excellent programme (yes I did just actually say that:confused:)

CirrusF
25th Sep 2009, 10:36
As the surgeon treating one of the soldiers commented on IEDs, "a bit of coward's way of waging war".

I thought that was a strange comment from a surgeon. IEDs are no more or less cowardly than us dropping smart bombs on them - both weapons strike without warning.

oldpusser
25th Sep 2009, 11:24
Was an amazing programme and shows just how tough these young people are - not the way certain members of the press would have us believe the youth of today are like. Also very good article in the telegraph yesterday about the quality of military personnel

airborne_artist
25th Sep 2009, 11:40
IEDs are no more or less cowardly than us dropping smart bombs on them - both weapons strike without warning.

How many non-combatant Afghans have been killed by IEDs? Not all are command-wire detonated.

I know that non-combatants have been killed by ISAF weapons, but huge efforts are made by the aircrew and JTACs to ensure no civilians are in the kill-zone of the weapon.

johno617tonka
25th Sep 2009, 11:43
I thought that even with the problems they we're attempting to overcome, the military style humour was still present ...

or am i the only one who spotted the marine at H-Court with the T-shirt ...

" Mine Awareness .. INSTRUCTOR "

The Equivocator
25th Sep 2009, 14:24
Johno,

No mate you weren't the only one. Thought the t-shirt was brilliant!

An excellent programme, with a (rightly) positive spin for once. Do you think that this programme would put people off joining, or would it encourage people to join up? Difficult to judge from a serving military perspective....

Of interest, did anyone notice that there was no wider context stuff shown and little opinion? Excellent journalism or 'journalists going native'?

glum
25th Sep 2009, 15:43
I'm amazed no mention has been made of the wives / mothers / girlfriends. I was truly humbled by the strength shown by the Irish lads Mum and girlfriend.

Incredible people, and the injured lads would not make a recovery at all if it weren't for their family's support.

We all take our family's for granted sometimes, and this program made me realise just what they go through for us whilst we do what we do.

alwayslookingup
25th Sep 2009, 16:06
Glum,

yes, that was kind of what I what I implied in my second sentence above.

"The extra time allowed the programme to portray just the sheer physical and emotional turmoil such injuries cause to all concerned with the injured."

Sorry if it didn't come through so clear.

As the Surgeon at another point commented, the guys who do better and quicker after such injuries are the ones in steady relationships. It's a well known phenomenon in survival situations that the ones who show a stronger will to survive are those with something to live for (wives, children etc).

That being said, yes, the courage and strength portrayed by the Irish lad's Mother was beyond belief, and I speak as someone who's own Mother had to endure the same with my kid brother (injured through medical mishap).

Junta Leader
25th Sep 2009, 16:33
I'm another one of the iplayer viewers and I'm glad that I was alone last night as the world doesn't have enough tissues to support the emotion if Mrs JL had been there too.

This was a truely humbling programme which hopefully brought a strong message to the British Public about how "strong" - in so many ways - our boys and men at the front are. I know that the military is getting unparalleled (sp?) public support right now and I hope that this helps to strengthen it; they are doing a fantastic job in demanding conditions and with their fair share of limitations. The guys in theatre will not waiver, I hope the support doesn't either.

Keep it up lads and well done to the BBC. :D

JL

teeteringhead
25th Sep 2009, 16:50
No mate you weren't the only one. Thought the t-shirt was brilliant!
.. a sometime comrade-in-arms who had lost a leg under similar circumstances had a t-shirt which said "Help Stamp Out Landmines!" Come to think of it - he was an ex-Para.....

And he was at the evening party of my wedding to Milady Teeters, when one of her mates approached him:

She: Are you dancing?

He: Er... no thanks...

She: Oh come one! What's the matter? Got a wooden leg or something?

He: Er .... yes!!

She: :\:\

Faithless
25th Sep 2009, 19:46
Think the BBC got it right for once. Lots of dust flying around the Faithless house when watching this.

As I said to Mrs Faithless " You take our limbs but you'll never take a British soldiers humour!"

I had lots of respect for these guys but its tenfold now.

Fantastic :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

gingernut
25th Sep 2009, 19:57
Harrowing. Probably a good description.

Seeing the the young guy (?Andy), lying prostate, blinded, sedated, and with a white, remaining, foot, was probably one of the saddest things I've seen for a long while. Even more sadder, was seeing his mum, at his medals parade, confessing that at one time, she'd wished him dead.

A couple of comments:

As a footnote, just over three years ago PPRuNe ran a campaign against objectors who didn't wish a house near Hedley Court to be converted into accommodation for those visiting loved ones in Hedley Court.

That makes me ashamed.

Also, interesting to see how much support both men gained from peer support-is this a services thing?

Frankly Mr Shankly
25th Sep 2009, 20:03
Absolutely inspiring the guys in that programme! And I can only echo earlier sentiments in that I seriously hope the NIMBY types who objected to the accomodation at HC maybe, just maybe, had a pang of conscience if they watched.

Alas I doubt it.

But there is no doubt in my mind how courageous, determined, inspirational all the guys in the programme are. :D

airborne_artist
25th Sep 2009, 21:05
both men gained from peer support-is this a services thing?Not half - it's the reason people stay in, and it's what makes all three Services what they are. There is no I in team.

I'm certain that while the staff at HC are the tops, it's the mutual support that gets the guys and gals back to their maximum.

barnstormer1968
25th Sep 2009, 21:57
AA is right.
The bit where one of the blokes rammed the para's wheelchair to make him crash, would only boost his morale and aid his sense of normality.

I can't speak for other services, but soldiers are happiest when moaning, and making fun of each other:}.

Never having been injured (luckily, and thank goodness) I have no idea what it would be like for anyone in the programme, but I do know that with the support of my (military) mates, I felt I could do anything, and had great self belief, as well as belief in those around me...That kind of kinship is literally priceless.

flash8
25th Sep 2009, 22:07
I recall from speaking to an Army Major that both John McCain and Obama make visits to Walter Reed - often discreetly and without publicity.

Willy and Harry have visited Headley Court good lads - Do any of our Politicians make morale boosting visits?

tarantonight
25th Sep 2009, 22:10
Agree fully - brought tears to my eyes at times. The young Para lad was totally focused and had a mindset that looked was inspirational.

Have to say, felt sorry the RIR lad. Life is going to be hard for him and my upmost respect goes to him (and to Para man of course, but he will do well I'm sure). He - RIR guy - is a prime example of the aftercare that is needed.

Three Cheers for all those guys.:ok:

Chugalug2
25th Sep 2009, 22:26
Do any of our Politicians make morale boosting visits?
God, I hope not flash8, can't think of anything more likely to cause a relapse! No leave that to the Royals, that's their job and is usually done superbly. Just caught the prog on Beeb3. Sad? Angry? No, Proud! Proud of the two guys of course and their fellow patients, proud of the chain of support from front line medics and colleagues all the way through to Selly Oak and Headley Court, and proud of the parents, partners, family and friends who stand by them in such harrowing circumstances. We may have the lowest of the low running (or claiming to) the country, but we have young men and woman with the moral fibre to rise above such debilitating injury and gain a revised version of "normal". As Andy, then blinded as well as having lost both legs, said; "I just want to watch football, so I do". Mercifully his eyesight returned making that simple wish possible. Respect, hoping that doesn't count against me in the new campaign against over sentimentality!

gingernut
25th Sep 2009, 22:35
He - RIR guy - is a prime example of the aftercare that is needed.

Not sure what RIR is, but is aftercare an issue?

tarantonight
25th Sep 2009, 22:41
Royal Irish Regiment. After Care speaks for itself surely.

gingernut
25th Sep 2009, 22:48
RIR-thanks for that tarantonight.

Apologies, of course aftercare is an issue, but is the provision of aftercare an issue?

tarantonight
25th Sep 2009, 22:55
I think so GN............not referring to initial military / National Health response which is second to non. What happens to RIR lad when he has left army. This government......and those before and in the future fail, and will continue to fail the likes of him.

anita gofradump
25th Sep 2009, 23:14
Another fantastic piece of reporting. Mrs Gofradump cried her way through the programme. I just hid it.

I am humbled, regardless of my own achievements. I only hope to have the same morale courage, if the same fate befell me.

There is discipline in a soldier
you can see it when he walks,
There is honor in a soldier
you hear it when he talks.
There is courage in a soldier
you can see it in his eyes,
There is loyalty in a soldier
that he will not compromise.
There is something in a soldier
that makes him stand apart,
There is strength in a soldier
that beats from his heart.

tarantonight
25th Sep 2009, 23:39
Anita G.....you must have been there or thereabouts. A big hug. Need I say more.:)

VfrpilotPB/2
26th Sep 2009, 06:33
I am renowned as a bit of a hard handful up here in Lanky, and totally not put off by the cliffs that life throws at us, having read all of this thread I now have to admit that I watched the full programme through a sort of damp misty atmosphere, with Mrs Vfr who is a nurse in bits, Kimberly Clarke did very well out of our household due to that programme.

Sad thing is its lit a blue touch paper, for our youngest is going out there very shortly, that programme started to give us the ability to grow a stiffer backbone, I'd love any Minister from this currant shower of ****es to go out to the Gan, and WALK with our Soldiers in the same areas where they find their trade!

Well done BBC !!

PeterR-B
VFR

glum
27th Sep 2009, 22:43
Gingernut: "Also, interesting to see how much support both men gained from peer support-is this a services thing?"

It's amazing. I did two stints at Headly for motorcycle injuries, and everyone there is still treated like a 'real' soldier, no matter what their injuries are.

I recall one lad with a huge chunk of head missing, who was very slow at everything and slurred his speech. He was forever having the P taken for not getting a move on - but no-one helped him open a door, he was just chivvied along till he managed it in his own time.

Another guy lost his leg when driven over by a tank. He was on his seventh visit and simply awesome as his attitude helped those who'd freshly suffered amputations. He was in training for the London marathon, and was an inspiration to all.

The PTI's are also incredible people, and know just how much to push those struggling to come to terms with their new bodies. There are small allowances made, but not many, and again, everyone is treated as a complete serviceman.

Long may Headly court help those who need it.:ok: