PDA

View Full Version : NPPL (M) pax currency?

Fake Sealion
22nd Sep 2009, 12:36
Pondering on obtaining a microlight rating to add to my NPPL(SSEA).

Couple of questions please?

Is there a similar requirement as per the Group A world for NPPL(M) holders to comply with the 90 days 3 take offs/landings rule to carry a passenger?

Do Clubs which hire 3-axis machines normally insist on a recent currency rule before hiring? Typically what may this be?

Thanks in advance

BEagle
22nd Sep 2009, 13:33
Yes:

Carriage of persons

(6) He shall not fly as pilot in command of any such aeroplane:

(a) when the total number of persons carried (including the pilot) exceeds four; or
(b) when carrying passengers unless within the preceding 90 days he has made at least three take-offs and three landings as the sole manipulator of the controls of an aeroplane of the same class as that being flown.

Note that this requires you to maintain 90 day recency in a Microlight if you wish to carry a passenger in one; recency in SSEA aeroplanes is not relevant to Microlight passenger carrying.

However, unless things have changed of late, you can only hire a microlight for dual (i.e. with instructor) or solo flying - you are not permitted to hire one and take a passenger.

Fake Sealion
22nd Sep 2009, 14:17
Thanks BEagle

Can anyone clarify the last point about hiring a 3-axis microlight to fly with a passenger? I recall seeing some reference to a recent change which now permits this?

Also, I would be grateful if any Ppruners out there who have both SSEA and M on their NPPL's can clarify the 24 month re-val rules in respect of how many hours of EACH class one needs to re-qual in the 24 month period.

thanks again

Genghis the Engineer
22nd Sep 2009, 15:06
Latest on microlight hiring. (http://www.bmaa.org/upload/techdocs/20083112034320.032_2_Hiring.pdf)

G

BEagle
22nd Sep 2009, 19:21
Thanks, Genghis - I thought there'd been a change, but couldn't find the relevant AIC.

Good to see that there's a robust Code of Practice from the BMAA - easily understood and very straightforward.

Regarding revalidation by experience requirements, pilots with both SSEA and Microlight Class Ratings in their NPPLs must fly a combined total of 12 hours in the 24 months of the validity period, of which a minimum of 1 hr must be with an instructor. 6 of these hours must be within the last 12 months of the validity period. Of the total 12 hours, at least 8 must be as PIC and 12 t/os and landings must be flown - and at least 1 hr must be flown (either as PIC or P U/T) in each class.

See AIC 30/2008 for full details.

Fake Sealion
29th Sep 2009, 15:20
Regarding revalidation by experience requirements, pilots with both SSEA and Microlight Class Ratings in their NPPLs must fly a combined total of 12 hours in the 24 months of the validity period, of which a minimum of 1 hr must be with an instructor. 6 of these hours must be within the last 12 months of the validity period. Of the total 12 hours, at least 8 must be as PIC and 12 t/os and landings must be flown - and at least 1 hr must be flown (either as PIC or P U/T) in each class.

See AIC 30/2008 for full details.

Thanks BEagle.

I am still less than clear about flying SSEA and 3-axis microlights on a NPPL.

I understand a valid NPPL(SSEA) can fly a particular 3-axis microlight PIC following a "differences training"/conversion flight(s) with a NPPL(M) examiner in that aircraft with logbook sign off to that effect.

If that is the case, can the pilot then reval by experience his NPPL for SSEA & Microlight in accordance with the requirements outlined above in AIC 30/2008?

Hope someone can shed light on this

BEagle
29th Sep 2009, 16:39
I understand a valid NPPL(SSEA) can fly a particular 3-axis microlight PIC following a "differences training"/conversion flight(s) with a NPPL(M) examiner in that aircraft with logbook sign off to that effect.

A pilot holding a NPPL with SSEA Class Rating is required to include a Microlight Class Rating in his/her licence if he/she wishes to exercise Microlight privileges. The rules changed nearly 18 months ago.

See http://www.nationalprivatepilotslicence.co.uk/New/NPPL%20XC%20REV%2008.pdf Section 4.1

Genghis the Engineer
29th Sep 2009, 20:08
Out of interest BEagle, do you know how that tallies with the new CRI qualification?

I don't think that a CRI can train an NPPL(M) holder to NPPL(SEP), but can a CRI who has sufficient microlight hours performance microlight differences training for an NPPL(SEP) or JAR-FCL(SEP) holder?

G

(Vested interest - I'm thinking of doing a CRI course.)

S-Works
29th Sep 2009, 21:40
A CRI can train an NPPL(M) to NPPL(SSEA) provided they have sufficient ML time and vice versa. They can also do the training for a JAR FCL holder to add a ML rating to a JAR FCL licence.

Genghis the Engineer
29th Sep 2009, 22:25
Cheers Bose, very useful bit of information not found in LASORS.

G

S-Works
30th Sep 2009, 07:22
You are welcome!

I would suggest you give Alan Newton at Ontrack at Wellesbourne a call about the CRI. GA needs people like you to take up Instruction, it would benefit us all.

Genghis the Engineer
30th Sep 2009, 12:31
Probably a spring project on current workload but yes, I'll do that.

Cheers,

G