PDA

View Full Version : Lightest most effective headset for microlighting

sandbagsteve
21st Sep 2009, 20:40
Before anyone berates me for starting yet another headset thread... I'm not necessarily looking for the greatest thing since sliced bread in terms of noise reduction - as I'm only going to be flying fixed wing microlights for a while.

What I DO want to find out is which headset is the most comfortable, and lightweight, whilst still offering good noise reduction (passive or active), and a good mic.

Having a decent sized swede on my shoulders, and a pair of Ferengi sized ears, I get lobe ache after being clamped by the school's headsets for even a short period of time. I'm happy to shell out for something that it going to increase my comfort while learning.

I tried my instructors DC X11 set and it felt lovely by comparison, and the 13.4's seem like a good bet if they are similar in feel.

I just thought I'd ask here before I start loitering around the control tower asking everyone how walks up if I can try their headset on :}

Lister Noble
21st Sep 2009, 20:52
Try search,lots of threads on this
Lister:)

sandbagsteve
25th Sep 2009, 20:23
Sorry for pressing for some feedback... I tried my instructor's DC X11s today and in comparison to the passives I had been wearing, they were bliss... lighter, and very little clamping...

Would it be fair to say that most electronic noise reducing headsets have less clamping pressure (and therefore generally more comfortable) than passives?

I did have my eye on some 13.4's as they have the same gel type cushions, but if these are going to squeeze my big head, then I'd sooner save up and buy some ANR cans.

Steve

znww5
26th Sep 2009, 09:56
There's really only one way to be sure a headset will suit you - and that's to go to a decent aviation shop and spend some considerable time trying out the various types.

Due to different head shapes and sizes, I don't think there is such a thing as a one-size-fits-all headset and it can be an expensive mistake to buy the wrong one! For example, whilst other people thought they were great, I always found DC headsets to have an uncomfortably high clamping pressure and the metal headband always used to make contact with the 'corners' of my skull. I visited the Oxford shop and found the best bet (for me) was a pair of Sennheisers, but they may not suit other people. This really is a try-before-you-buy item.

As for ANR vs PNR, quite a few of the manufacturers use the same basic shells for both versions, so once you've found a comfortable headset you can then decide about the noise reduction technology. In fact you can retrofit ANR to some DC, DC clone and Peltor headsets, you can either do this yourself or there is a guy here in the UK who will do it for you and has a good reputation - cost is around the £140 mark from memory.

Finally, if you are going to be flying microlights, its worth checking that the aircraft is fitted with the standard two plug connections - some use other systems.