PDA

View Full Version : Right-hand traffic rule other than in UK?

20th Sep 2009, 10:41
UK Rules of the Air Regulations has rule requiring flying right of linear landmark.
Right-hand traffic rule
16.—(1) Subject to paragraph (2), an aircraft which is flying within the United Kingdom with the surface in sight and following a road, railway, canal or coastline, or any other line of landmarks, shall keep them on its left.

Any other countriles requiring similar stuff?

Thanks in advance!

JTN
20th Sep 2009, 11:30
Don't know if it's a requirement or not, but I was taught the same thing in the Czech Republic . It's been a few years, but I seem to remember it was more about practicality than anything else:

1. You can see line and other features more easily from the LH seat if they are on your left; and
2. If everyone does the same thing, there is less likelihood of conflict with opposing traffic.

I have to say though that this (requirement / suggestion - delete as appropriate) seems less well observed since the mass introduction of GPS into the GA cockpit :(

englishal
20th Sep 2009, 11:59
Try flying along the beach at Bournemouth and complying with this "rule".....

20th Sep 2009, 12:16
Thanks for answering.

The rule makes sense, whether as a requirement or a suggestion.

After some googling, the rule is found almost verbatim copied from UK order in aviation regulations of: Ireland, Hong Kong, Uganda, Macao, Botswana, Rwanda, Kazakhstan. Couldn't confirm Czech Republic - cannot find their regulations.
I am almost positive US doesn't have this. Any other European countries?

Low Flier
20th Sep 2009, 13:53
If the French have the rule then they certainly don't obey it along the Channel coast!

BackPacker
20th Sep 2009, 13:57
I spoke to several Dutch instructors and it's not being taught here.

IFMU
20th Sep 2009, 13:58
I was not taught that in the US

-- IFMU

20th Sep 2009, 15:29
Try flying along the beach at Bournemouth and complying with this "rule".....

Sorry, I did not quote second paragraph from the rule:
(2) Paragraph (1) shall not apply to an aircraft flying within controlled airspace in accordance with instructions given by the appropriate air traffic control unit.

172driver
20th Sep 2009, 15:39
To throw two more in the mix: Namibia has it, Australia does not.

Heliplane
20th Sep 2009, 17:19
I have a recollection that this is a requirement in the US (I really ought to know this.......:=) but it's certainly the rule of thumb for high density traffic areas such as the Hudson River Corridor (although that might all be about to change).

What is not only a legal requirement in the US but also quite strictly adhered to are the VFR cruising levels. Nobody seems to pay much attention to them on this side of the pond - perhaps due to the position of much of the airspace.

bubo
20th Sep 2009, 22:15
I do not think it´s an official rule in the Czech Republic. I´ve been flying in this country for 20+ years and never heard of it or saw it in the regulation. But good practise, I admit.

KeesM
21st Sep 2009, 09:38
I spoke to several Dutch instructors and it's not being taught here.

Thats is because if you fly RH of one linear feature in the Netherlands you probably fly LH of another next to it.:bored:

-Kees

FougaMagister
21st Sep 2009, 10:08
The FI at my local aeroclub in France told me that it's always good airmanship; Low Flier - that doesn't mean that the rule has to be observed 100% of the time. There might be occasions when it's not feasible: for instance on a survey/photographic flight, when the photographer (sat on the right) might need an unrestricted field of view. In that case, a good lookout is of (even more) importance. Just because there is a rule doesn't mean you can relax assuming that everyone will stick to it...

Same goes for the VFR cruising levels mentioned by Heliplane; on the Continent they're semi-circular (i.e. FL15, 35, 55/FL 25, 45, 65, etc.), not quadrantal, and I do observe them (unless I have to climb above one of the many MIL low alt zones), but I've come accross other aircraft who don't! Incidentally, they're usually the same people who aren't on a Flight Information Service frequency either...

Cheers :cool: