PDA

View Full Version : Oregon Aero softseats - opinions?

Zaphod1
19th Sep 2009, 19:09
Being an ageing old goat I am thinking of using one of Oregon Aeros cushions to ease the back pains.

Anyone have an opinion on these for helicopters?

Cheers

IntheTin
20th Sep 2009, 04:41
Three of the pilots I work with swear by them. I bought one and never used it! Must get my $220 worth out of it soon!!!:ok:

asianrotorhunter
20th Sep 2009, 15:44
The seats in the S-76 were slowly killing my back. So much pain sometimes. But as soon as I got the oregon aero seat i never had a Sikorsky induced back-ache again! Also after a hot change i throw my seat cushion in and avoid sitting in the previous guys sweat.

Expensive, but but so worth it!
:ok:

Zaphod1
20th Sep 2009, 15:53
Thanks folks, anyone else out there had any experience of them?

Um... lifting...
20th Sep 2009, 16:15
Used one in a mil trainer when the actual seat cushion was a parachute on the seat pan. They're great if you don't mind carrying it around. I've also used their helmet liners, which are fabulous.
I think I had a 3" thick seat cushion. If you work in a cold climate, keep it at room temperature at least before you get in the aircraft... they're like stone until they warm up and have a large thermal mass... they will suck the heat right out of your derriere to do so. Helmet liner the same... it can be painful to pull a helmet on if the inside is cold.

GeorgeMandes
20th Sep 2009, 18:41
Over the years, we have had Oregon Aero replace the foam in seats on a Jet Ranger, Long Ranger and 407. Also, we have their replacement cushions in a 530F. We also fly their seats in a number of fixed wing aircraft.

The Oregon Aero foam is highly recommended. I would be wary of others that say they are just as good as Oregon Aero, or use the same foam, as Oregon Aero has mastered how to cut and mix the various foam densities for a terrific seat.

bayou06
20th Sep 2009, 20:27
I've had my Oregon Aero seat cushion for 9 months now and have flown about 500 hours in it in both a S-76 and a King Air 200. I find it really makes a difference when flying more than 3+ hours a day, especially in the S-76. I'd say it gives me at least another 2-3 hours of comfort that I otherwise wouldn't have had.

I'd highly recommend that you spend the extra money and get the optional lumbar support piece. It is detachable and make a big difference in supporting my lower back. Additionally, you need to consider getting the "Aerobatic/Law Enforcement" model that has the cut-out for a five point safety harness and/or cyclic. I have the medium thickness model which works well for me (6' tall). If you are taller than say, 5'10", the thicker model may give you clearance problems if you fly in the 206/407 series.

At least for me, while on the expensive side, it was a great investment if you fly for a living. Hope this helps.

TiPwEiGhT
20th Sep 2009, 22:05
Can you buy the back support separately?

TiP

Um... lifting...
21st Sep 2009, 01:19
Designer and Manufacturer of more than 500 products for aviation and other industries that prevent and eliminate pain, reduce noise, and improve impact protection. (http://www.oregonaero.com/)

SoftSeat (http://www.oregonaero.com/catalog/2/softseat)

Zaphod1
21st Sep 2009, 16:28
Thanks folks - I have placed my order and live in hope.

Yes I fly for a living - North Sea, and have tried a variety of things but nothing as aviation specific as this. Granted they are not particularly cheap, but if it work it will pay for itself many times over.

Cheers All

GeorgeMandes
26th Sep 2009, 14:40
I just sat in the Oregon Aero cushions for 26.7 hours in the past few days, flying a 530F from Homer, Alaska to Moab, Utah. While I feel run over by a truck, my back isn't sore!

widgeon
26th Sep 2009, 14:49
One word of caution , if you are flying with energy attenuating seats . Some manufacturers do not permit changing the cushions .

dcfc
14th Oct 2009, 17:53
Hi People
Can any of you give me a model number for a S76 seat cushion?... lower back giving me a bit of jip at the moment :ugh:
Cheers:ok:

Never in Balance
20th Oct 2009, 09:41
Just curious to know if anyone has used the oregon aero soft seat in a H300. The students and the seats are killing my back.

Pandalet
20th Oct 2009, 10:11
So long as the students aren't killing the rest of you...

212man
20th Oct 2009, 10:29
We've bought 4 of them for a trial (S-92) and so far the feedback has been very positive. Haven't had a try myself yet though.

dcfc
20th Oct 2009, 11:02
Asianrotorhunter/bayou06

Appears both of you are 76 jocks, can you tell me which cushions/supports you purchased.....I need one asap?

ATB
dcfc

asianrotorhunter
20th Oct 2009, 14:39
For the S76 the standard "pilot cut" seat cushion is the one.

SoftSeat® Portable Seat Cushion Base/Lumbar Combo (http://www.oregonaero.com/products/softseat-portable-seat-cushion-base-lumbar-combo)

there's a few drop down menus. Make sure you get the "pilot" cut. And I would recommend 1 inch thickness and non skid strips. And get the base AND lumbar support, I think they only work well when you put them together.

:ok:
:cool:

dcfc
22nd Oct 2009, 19:02
Many thanks for that Asianrotorhunter:ok: