PDA

View Full Version : JAA CPL/IR to FAA conversion?

Grassfield
14th Sep 2009, 19:59
Hi,

Does any one know if it is possible to convert a JAA CPL/IR to a FAA license (at least 'Private'/IR but if not too much hassle to a 'Commercial'/IR) in Europe? How would one do this?

I'm currently checking out the possibility to rent N-reg aircraft in Europe (to fly in Europe) and would obviously (or?) need a FAA license for this. And just to be clear, I'm not intending to scrap my JAA license (after all the effort put in to get it...) but rather have the FAA in parallel ready when opportunity arises to fly N-reg as I will continue to fly EASA planes on a regular basis.

Obviously, the ideal would include purely administration (i.e. no written test, no flight tests, etc) but since we're talking licensing I guess it is more complicated than that. For the time I'm just trying to figure out if it would be worth the hassle of having to obtain and keep current both the JAA and FAA in parallel.

Thanks for any helpful insights on this.

B2N2
15th Sep 2009, 00:28
Certificate and rating(s) can be converted to FAA.
Not converted as in you loose the original one, but the issue of a US certificate based on your foreign license.
You can get PPL-IR, Multi engine and any other rating you might have (seaplane?).
Only at Private level. Back in the good ol' days (80-ies) they used to issue FAA Commercial certificates with the limitation " not for commercial operations".
So basically a CPL with PPL priviliges.
At some point (90-ies I guess) the FAA decided to only issue a PPL based on a foreign certificate.
Process is easy, described here:
Airmen Certification: Verify the Authenticity of a Foreign License, Rating, or Medical Certification (http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/foreign_license_verification/)

Take some time to do it, FAA says up to 60 days although I've seen it done in as little as 2 weeks.
In order to get a FAA CPL ME-IR you will need to do the following:

IR written test
IR flight exam ( foreign IR does NOT carry over to US CPL)
CPL written exam
Meet the requirements of :
Electronic Code of Federal Regulations: (http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=9ff602550f50d64e7816331241fbdf20&rgn=div5&view=text&node=14:2.0.1.1.2&idno=14#14:2.0.1.1.2.6)
Training as required for the SE CPL and ME-add on.

You will then have a stand alone US CPL certificate.
And it is not a struggle to keep a US certificate current.
For one thing it does NOT expire.
Any flying that you do anywhere will count towards the currency requirements ( 90 day passenger, Instrument approaches etc.)
All you need is a Flight review ( profcheck) in accordance with Regulation 61.56 every 24 months. Plenty of FAA certificated instructors in Europe that can do this.
Any questions, feel free to ask :ok:

englishal
15th Sep 2009, 06:36
One other thing, once you have the FAA PPL based upon your JAA CPL (as described above) then you would need to do a Biennial Flight Review with an FAA instructor for it to become current - there are conflicting reports on this but I can't find anything in the FARs that says otherwise.

Your best bet is to head off to the USA for a weekend and do it all there, the PPL is free, you just need to pick it up from a FSDO (in Europe they will charge you £300 probably - you could fly to New York or Florida for less ;) ) and 1 hr with an FAA FI will costs maybe $120 (UK will cost you £200 ph plus unless you have your own aeroplane).

B2N2
15th Sep 2009, 13:02
Correct Englishal and it's clearly in 61.56

(c) Except as provided in paragraphs (d), (e), and (g) of this section, no person may act as pilot in command of an aircraft unless, since the beginning of the 24th calendar month before the month in which that pilot acts as pilot in command, that person has—

At least I don't see room for any other interpretation.

**** And for some reason this is moved to Private Flying while he's clearly asking about CPL :mad: ****

Grassfield
15th Sep 2009, 19:50
Thanks a lot for your detailed answers! As alwayz, I'm amazed about the depth of knowledge on this forum. My first post here, but I've spent a decent amount of evenings / nights here reading through the threads over the last 3-4 years and it's a sheer pleasure to see the vast knowledge and willingness to share on this forum, great!

Fantastic! Usually, everything is so complicated in aviation licensing... but if I only go for the FAA PPL / IR initially (which is the main thought, to be able to hopefully rent some decent N-reg single engine travel machines, maybe even deiced) it seems more like only an administrative task! Cool.

BUT do you have any ideas if this can be done without leaving Europe (due to family / children / work constraints). For instance, can some organization / flight school etc in Europe arrange so one doesn't have to travel to a FSDO in the US to get the physical license (even if it is only for a weekend :)). As you state in your comment I still need to do the biennial flight review for the FAA license to be valid, but this would then be done in Europe. By the way, when thinking of it, can this biennial flight review in Europe for the FAA license be done on a EASA aircraft (maybe a stupid question, but in the lovely world of aviation one can never be sure...)?

B2N2,
The commercial option would be great, but is right now more of a 'nice to have'. So I'll keep those plans a bit on the backburner until further (see constraints mentioned above). However,
1) If I decide to go over the pond to get it done would you know how much of a hassle the IR written and CPL written exams are? I have the JAR ATPL theory under my belt, but I´d not wish anyone to go through that torture, so if it´s anything near the JAR version of IR + CPL modules this would be a NO GO for me.
2) Can it actually be done in a modular way, i.e. first convert to the FAA PPL and then later on extending that to the FAA CPL (even though my JAA licenses remain the same all the time)?

englishal
16th Sep 2009, 08:06
Yes you can do it in Europe - or you could. It will cost an arm and a leg though (search the forum).

The BFR can be done in a EASA reg aeroplane (G reg for ex) so long as the FI is an FAA CFI. Remember though you cannot pay him/her his/her time as that would contradict dft rules. However I'm sure you could pay them for the required ground school element, or if they are your mate, buy them a lunch somewhere ;)

B2N2
17th Sep 2009, 13:11
You can do free "written" practice tests online at Pilot Practice Page (http://www.exams4pilots.org/)
The actual test you can take at FlightSafety in Le Bourget, Paris.

A FAA inspector has to verify your cerdentials and ID, so that will have to be in person.