PDA

View Full Version : Converting the 430 dB from US to UK

englishal
14th Sep 2009, 12:35
I'm thinking about sourcing an aeroplane in the USA and bringing it back before the Danish VAT loophole is abolished at the end of June next year. One particular aeroplane I am interested in lists to following Avionics:

Garmin GNS-530W GPS/COM
Garmin GNS-430W GPS/COM
King KT-73 Transponder Mode S with TIS
King KMD-550 MFD with Traffic from KT-73
Sandal EHSI slaved, coupled to autopilot
STEC 55X Auto Pilot
JPI 700 with Fuel Flow
Insight TAS 1000

Now how difficult is it to replace the US databases with European dB's, is it simply a case of buying the dB and uploading it / sticking in a new card? If so what sort of cost would I be looking at.

Thanks...

Reminds me of a story one of my Friends told me, I think he was delivering a DA42 from Canada to California (or the other way around) and of course the Western/Eastern USA dB was missing so half way through the trip, everything disappeared off the G1000 nav screens :)

IO540
14th Sep 2009, 17:23
I don't know the answer Englishal but would suggest doing some "due diligence" because (from vague memory) Garmin have refused to honour support on GNSx30 products bought from the USA.

In theory one cannot buy new units except from a Garmin dealer and then only if he installs them, but it is open knowledge that one can buy new ones from the USA, and according to one avionics shop I spoke to recently even from one well known outlet in the UK.

Honeywell run a similar restrictive practice in theory but in practice they couldn't care less where you get stuff from.

Some subterfuge may be needed e.g. send the units to a friendly US Garmin dealer for an upgrade, with a story about embarking on an international trip.

The "W" units are pretty new and any hacks developed for the old ones may not work with them.

I don't fly with Garmins so cannot offer more advice.

Fitter2
14th Sep 2009, 17:48
Simples. You actually buy a 'Skybound' adapter from Jeppesen, and but update files from Jeppesen on line. Or a pre-programmed Data Card, best to do that the first time if you are flying the new toy back, then you can unplug your Americas database card and change to a Europe/Africa/Middle East one while refuelling in Greenland.

IO540
14th Sep 2009, 17:52
Does that do the basemap also?

007helicopter
14th Sep 2009, 19:00
"Skybound USB card reader" I have being looking for one of these on the Jepp web site and can not seem to find, any other sources in the UK ?

englishal
15th Sep 2009, 06:40
Thanks for that. I assumed it was possible somehow....

Cheers
Alan

S-Works
15th Sep 2009, 07:14
You can't change the basemap with the Skybound. The Skybound only changes the Jepp data. To change the basemap it has to be re flashed.

flyingfemme
15th Sep 2009, 10:46
The "basemap" on a builtin Garmin is worldwide - you just have to buy the Jeppesen database, or update.
Skybounds are available from Jepp direct but you have to call them for price/availability. Extra cards can also be bought - they are proprietary and you cannot tell the size of the card without plugging it into the Jeppesen Services update program. Make sure your card is big enough for the subscription you want to download.
Have at least one card with a Europe database on board and swap at the required position.
It's not rocket science but it ain't cheap......

kui2324
15th Sep 2009, 11:55
I called Jeppesen asking about the Sky bound card reader earlier this year after I had a 430 installed in my aircraft. iirc was about 39 euro and arrived the next day when I ordered it direct from them. I also couldn't find it on the website!

S-Works
15th Sep 2009, 12:29
The "basemap" on a builtin Garmin is worldwide - you just have to buy the Jeppesen database, or update.

Are you referring to the landmass or the topographical data such as lakes and rivers, railway lines etc?

englishal
15th Sep 2009, 16:11
Thanks FF, I have sent you a pm....

Cheers all...

007helicopter
15th Sep 2009, 19:58
I called Jeppesen asking about the Sky bound card reader earlier this year after I had a 430 installed in my aircraft. iirc was about 39 euro and arrived the next day when I ordered it direct from them. I also couldn't find it on the website!

Thanks Kui, will try tomorrow