PDA

View Full Version : IMC Rating ground exam

Professor Plum
12th Sep 2009, 19:58
Evening!

Does anyone know if the IMC Rating ground exam has to be passed prior to taking the IMC rating flight test, or can the gound exam be taken after the flight test?

I've had a look in LASORS, but it doesn't say.

Any info would be appreciated!

FREDAcheck
12th Sep 2009, 20:49
I don't know the rules, but I'm pretty sure I did the practical (flight) test before the theory test. It was a while ago, so I might be wrong.

Merritt
14th Sep 2009, 10:16
Yes it does need to be taken before the flight test.

The IMC rating is valid for 25 months from the date of passing the skills test (assuming you passed the ground exams)

Ive just done (and passed :) my ground exam...

Steve

homeguard
14th Sep 2009, 18:14
There is no UK CAA requirement that you first pass the written exam prior to the IMC Flight Test.

Such requirements are subject to the JARs, the IMC rating is not covered by those regulations.

orionsbelt
14th Sep 2009, 19:00
You do not need to pass the exam b4 the flight test

- Ground Examinations:-
Valid for 12 Months

- Flight Test:-
Valid for 9 months

LASORS SECTION E 3.1 to E 3.5 Appendix B

Validities
The Flight Test and Ground Examination required for the
inclusion of an IMC Rating in an aeroplane pilot licence
must be completed (and application for rating submitted)
within the time period shown below:
Ground Examination 12 months
Flight Test 9 months
The IMC Rating is valid for a period of 25 months from
the date of the successful flight test.
Details of the requirements to renew a rating that has
expired may be found in Section E3.5.

Cheers ***

Professor Plum
15th Sep 2009, 16:09
Thanks for the replies.

Orionsbelt-I'd seen that in LASORS, but it doesn't specifically say the the flight test can be taken first, it just infers it.

Seeing as it doesn't specifically say that the ground test has to be taken first, I'm going to assume it's OK.

Cheers guys.

jollyrog
15th Sep 2009, 18:20
I did my IMC ground school at an evening course. I completed the course before beginning the IMC training. Unfortunately, the night of the exam, I got delayed by a signal failure on the train and never got to the exam.

I then did the IMC training. I took the flight test on a Monday, followed by the exam on the Wednesday. Went to Gatwick in person on the Thursday and they accepted my paperwork and issued. This was March this year.

jollyrog
15th Sep 2009, 18:22
You could (in theory) take both on the same day and from the paperwork, the CAA would never know which one was taken first, so I can't see that it really matters at all.

Merritt
18th Sep 2009, 14:43
I stand corrected. Apologies for my mis-information.

Steve