PDA

View Full Version : Day trip to Amiens Glisy (LFAY)

neilgeddes
10th Sep 2009, 10:35
Hi, two friends and myself are planning a day trip to Amiens next week in the club PA28. I've read the cathedral is huge and is the main tourist attraction in the city. (Should make a change from Le Touquet!)

Does anyone have experience of flying in to Amiens? Good airport and facilities? Any customs issues? https://www.sia.aviation-civile.gouv.fr/aip/enligne/PDF_AIPparSSection/VAC/AD/2/0910_AD-2.LFAY.pdf (https://www.sia.aviation-civile.gouv.fr/aip/enligne/PDF_AIPparSSection/VAC/AD/2/0910_AD-2.LFAY.pdf)

Any lunch recommendations for the town? Other cultural ideas?

Many thanks for your help. Rgds, Neil

Piper19
10th Sep 2009, 16:02
From April till October there are the "Hortillonages d'Amiens".
Google it, I've not seem them myself so cannot supply more info.
He told landing tax was 6 euros a few years ago.

neilgeddes
10th Sep 2009, 16:24
Floating gardens of Amiens

Sounds wonderful! Thanks.

betterfromabove
11th Sep 2009, 21:48
Quiet little airfield, plenty of room for parking, reasonably well maintained runway. Minimal landing fees. Typical French municipal airport really. Tower clear off at 5pm. On the dot.

One word of warning - when I went in there a couple of years ago, the friendly ladies in the tower didn't speak English, so you'll get your AFIS info broadcast at you on first call possibly in French (not easy to digest even if you speak fluent French...). Unusual in Northern France these days & you might get someone else who speaks ATC English.

Don't expect circuit to be too busy tho'!

Cathedral very impressive & gothic, although compact.

Hope that helps!

BFA

neilgeddes
12th Sep 2009, 08:08
Many thanks BFA. All appreciated!

BoeingMEL
12th Sep 2009, 14:08
Yep, the cathedral worth a visit.... friendly field and air-traffic but they do head for home on the button! Plenty of wonderful eating places in the city and it's a cheap taxi-ride too. A few basic words of French should help you scrape through... well that was the case when I was last there! Worth a visit... thoroughly recommended..:ok: bm

DC10RealMan
12th Sep 2009, 14:28
In World War II, Amiens Glisy airfield was home to a squadron of Luftwaffe FW190 fighter aeroplanes. During Operation Jericho where three squadrons of RAF, RAAF, RNZAF Mosquitos attempted to breach the walls of Amiens prison to allow imprisoned French patriots awaiting execution to escape during an exercise period. The mission was successful although the Glisy based FW190s were scrambled and shot down the raid leader Wing Commander Percy Pickard and his navigator John Broadley both of whom are buried in the cemetery adjacent to the prison which is on the Amiens to Albert road. This piece of history might encourage you to return to your aeroplane early and look at the site and the prison before returning to England

neilgeddes
12th Sep 2009, 16:02
Thanks BoeingMEL.:ok: Excellent history DC10RealMan! :)

patowalker
12th Sep 2009, 19:48
The airfield plate mentions A/A outside AFIS hours, which means 'auto info' or blinds calls during lunch time, 10.00 to 12.00 UTC. Better not to arrive during that time, as there will not be a Customs service.

There is some useful info on French radio calls, with a sound track, here: francoflyers: Radiotelephony (http://www.francoflyers.org/radiotelephony/)

Jodelman
12th Sep 2009, 21:54
Better not to arrive during that time, as there will not be a Customs service.

Are you sure that there will not be a customs service?

I have landed there on a Saturday (when there is no AFIS) having given the necessary prior notice.

patowalker
13th Sep 2009, 07:52
You're right, sorry. It doesn't matter what time you arrive, as long as you have given PN.