PDA

View Full Version : Calais

neilgeddes
10th Sep 2009, 07:54
Hi, I haven't flown to Calais LFAC for a couple of years and then the restaurant was closed. Does anyone know if it has reopened? Is it worth a stop for eating at the airfield? Thanks.

140KIAS
10th Sep 2009, 10:08
Had an overnight stop in Calais last year enroute to Templehof. It was pretty much a ghost town. Helpful fireman on duty at reception, man in tower and vending machine - that was about it.

However, all changed when the driving school lecture which was using one of the meeting rooms broke for coffee. About 100 people milling around the lobby.

No restaurant as far as we could see.

neilgeddes
10th Sep 2009, 10:29
No restaurant as far as we could see

Thanks. That's what I feared.

Captain Stable
10th Sep 2009, 12:34
I was there not TOO long ago (can't remember exactly when) and the restaurant was open, as was the rather nice wine shop.

Why not give them a bell?

neilgeddes
10th Sep 2009, 12:52
You're right, thanks, that's the obvious way to find out.:)

neilgeddes
10th Sep 2009, 13:41
Just spoken with the nice lady on Calais ATC (dealing with several English a/c in the background) who says the restaurant is still closed.:{

Captain Stable
10th Sep 2009, 15:01
Darn it. Well, the restaurant at LTQ has reopened - hows about going there instead?

neilgeddes
10th Sep 2009, 16:31
Next week we're going to try Amiens for the first time. Please see my other thread. Thanks.

007helicopter
10th Sep 2009, 19:04
I was there yesterday and confirm a vending machine is the best you will get plus very inexpensive (free) practice approaches on the ILS and an 8 euro landing fee.

neilgeddes
5th Oct 2010, 16:06
Sorry to bump this thread but I'd like to fly to Calais on Thursday. Has anyone recent experience of the new airport restaurant or cafe there? Many thanks.

007helicopter
5th Oct 2010, 18:18
Yes 2 weeks ago it was very much open, more a cafe than restaurant but very pleasant.

hatzflyer
5th Oct 2010, 18:21
There was a thread recently.I went to Calais a couple of weeks ago.
Restaurant now open ,run by a Brit. Electirc car hire available for trips into town.:)

jollyrog
5th Oct 2010, 20:07
I'm thinking of going there on Sunday, health and weather permitting, so if you do manage the Thursday trip, a short report will be appreciated.

neilgeddes
6th Oct 2010, 07:49
Thanks for all your feedback, appreciated. I will report if we get there.

LH2
6th Oct 2010, 22:40
Electric car hire available for trips into town.:)

...and back??? :}

(sorry, and yes I'm already leaving)

IO540
7th Oct 2010, 07:36
Of course the real question is whether the battery will make it all the way to East Enders (the wine shop that sells wine at 0.001% below the UK supermarket price) and back :)

neilgeddes
7th Oct 2010, 15:11
Well, we flew into Calais this morning landing 1205 local time - all very easy. At that time we were the only aircraft there but shortly after a C172 and French customs helicopter appeared.

We paid just 9 euros to land, a true bargain, but waited ages for the paperwork to happen. They couldn't accept a 10 euro note for payment (no change!) so we had to use a card. They happily accepted and filed our return flight plan and waived our passports away (not interested). I'd faxed our passport info across 24 hours before to the number requested in the AIP but who knows whether that was ever processed by anyone.

Went into the cafe (bar) where a French man and woman were stood quietly at the back, behind the bar. My schoolboy French fell on deaf ears and English faired little better. No food at all was available so out to the vending machines in the hall. The machine coffee, 50 cents, was truly grim, and the food machine wouldn't accept any coins - just kept returning them. A lady with many keys then appeared and opened up the food machine but she faired no better even from the inside. Eventually she let us pay her for a ham sandwich. Back in the bar to sit down the bar man made us coffees which did help. We were advised that not even a drink would be available tomorrow (Friday).

It's no wonder British pilots just use Calais airport to clear customs. For that it's quick and cheap but if they want any more trade they need to make an effort to show willing and put in some effort. Maybe they just don't care...:*

jollyrog
12th Oct 2010, 15:06
I made it there on Sunday too.

Great service from ATC, couldn't have been easier. There was me all primed up for zone entry via the notified points. When we called mid channel, we were told to call with runway in sight. We took that to mean "cleared to enter controlled airspace". This was followed with a left base to 06.

Everything nice and tidy at the airport. Took a few mins to relieve us of €9 (no change for the €10 note!) but the request to hire an electric car resulted in a "Non". Apparently, it was a test and they're no longer there. So, they summoned a taxi for us, who subsequently fleeced us for €38 on the meter to town, as the usual route was blocked by a cycle race. Taxi back was €23, via the normal route.

Departure was just as hassle free and friendly as arrival. ATC seem great and there's none of the mad/bad Le Touquet nonsense to contennd with.

No complaints about the airport itself, but it is a bit dull and desolate. I'd certainly use it again, but would like a better route to some decent food. The electric car thing seemed like a good idea and would have been very cheap.

IFly
17th Oct 2010, 22:30
I've been flying to Calais with my wife and / or friends for several years now and seen the ups and downs. But we walk down to the Marie or a little further to the main road in Marck and catch a bus into town. True, they are not too frequent - one or 2 an hour. The bus used to take a diverse route but is now back to a direct one -it takes 15 minutes and costs 1€ per person. We get out at Theatre.
Once in town there are various shops, the War Museum opposite the town hall and some excellent restaurants. A little Ballotin bus runs up and down the main street every 10 minutes or so and is free. At the end of the main street, close to the ferry port, is the restaurant Le Channel, where we had an excellent meal recently. There are other good restaurants nearby too.
Close to Theatre is a smallish shopping mall that has a Carrefour and is useful for saving a € on a bottle of wine! You catch the return bus on the E-W main road by Theatre.

frangatang
20th Oct 2010, 06:51
If you want your grub, try cherbourg. No customs notification required and v unlikley
the douane will be there anyway. 12 euro landing fee but the restaurant is fine, open everyday except sunday and Luc/Edith speak perfect english as their daughter lives in plymouth. She sells wine as well. Friendly ATC and apart from the aeroclub nothing else happens. Fireman helps you refuel if you are not a total card man and it was 1.85 euro/litre a week ago.

gasax
20th Oct 2010, 07:49
Last trip to France I cleared in via Calais and out via Cherbourg. I'd agree the facilities are slightly better at Cherbourg - and if you're going to for instance Honfleur is a better choice than Deauville.

However both offer the oppertunity of quickly clearing in/out to meet the legal requirements without costing much or taking too long.

L2K and Deauville are both expensive in comparison and take longer. The 'international' airfields further into France all seem to suffer from the security and admin hassles which scheduled flights bring, so unless they are your destination I find them to offer little as an alternative.

letpmar
21st Oct 2010, 07:05
I am looking at Bembridge Cherbourg on a regular basis do you know if they have Mogas.

Pete