PDA

View Full Version : Thumbs up to Hull and Fenland

Rishy
8th Sep 2009, 12:25
This weekend was my first proper trip since passing my PPL back in March. A few of us from Northumbria Flying School few to Southend for the weekend and stopped off at Hull and Fenland en route.

Both clubs were very welcoming and provided excellent services. (The club sandwich at Fenland is astoundingly good!).

If there is anybody on here from either of those clubs, cheers guys :ok:

Rish

gasax
8th Sep 2009, 15:53
I'll second Fenland as a good re-fuel / stopping off point. Over recent years it has become my preferred point to break a journey. Quick and easy, helpful and pretty decent food. What more could you need?

Gertrude the Wombat
8th Sep 2009, 16:59
What more could you need?
An airfield that's easier to find?

Vino Collapso
8th Sep 2009, 18:27
Which airfield did you use for 'Hull'?

Beverley
Humberside
Sherburn?

Rishy
8th Sep 2009, 21:59
Hull Aero club is at Beverley (Linley Hill), EGNY.

Yes Gertrude, Fenland was a bit of a bugger to find!

Gertrude the Wombat
8th Sep 2009, 23:02
Yes Gertrude, Fenland was a bit of a bugger to find!
It used to have an NDB, so you could follow the needle, at 2,500' or whatever, to be clear of the ATZ, until the needle fell, and then look down and try to spot the field with aeroplanes in it.

I think the NDB has gone now, so it's pretty well GPS or nothing :):):)

Northern Highflyer
9th Sep 2009, 12:34
Both airfields have been very welcoming when I have visited them in the past.

I remember arriving at Fenland during a fly-in and looking back when on finals to see several aircraft all lining up behind. It was like being at Heathrow, only nicer. ahhh memories. :ok:

Oldpilot55
9th Sep 2009, 14:52
We always get a nice welcome at Fenland. I particularly like the self-service fuel pumps. That has to be a good investment for a busy airfield.
The girl who runs the catering had made some great cakes and biscuits which proved very popular with my table hoover when I took some home. Club sandwich was brill, if a tad substantial!
Fenland is easy to spot at this time of year cos all the other fields are brown.

Echo Romeo
9th Sep 2009, 16:03
I particularly like the self-service fuel pumps. That has to be a good investment for a busy airfield. Yes, when they're working!

poss
9th Sep 2009, 16:13
In my experience Fenlend isn't that hard to find, especially when compared with places like Netherthorpe... that can be very tricky.