PDA

View Full Version : User Defined DME-ARC on the GNS-XLS ?

satpak77
8th Sep 2009, 03:34
Ok, I admit I am not a certified factory tech rep on the GNS-XLS.

With that said, can the device (and if it can, please tell me how to do it) fly a pre-defined DME ARC off a user defined waypoint via autopilot?

For Example, lets say I want to orbit a 5 mile arc off a waypoint, located on the LAX 120 radial at 45 DME. I would defined that waypoint as LAX*45 (my personal method) in the box. Now, how can I fly a 5 DME arc around it, via autopilot? (I know how to bring the course pointer up and fly the arc manually !)

Or say a manual lat/long waypoint entry, your girlfriends house is at XXXX North YYYYY West, now how can I orbit a 5 Mile arc off that?

DME Arc, not a holding pattern, just to clarify.

Can this be done?

Thanks

Capt Claret
8th Sep 2009, 07:03
In the days when I was using the GNS-XLS (BAe146 '01-'05) the only arc it would fly was a database approach arc.

To fly the 15nm arc at Cairns (YBCS) from RAINY (about the 270 radial) to SUNNY (360 radial) we'd create defined points at 15 nm every 30 degrees (I think), and fly a series of straight lines, which kept one + 2 nm of the arc which in Australia, is within tracking tolerance.

ahramin
15th Sep 2009, 03:45
There is no way to create a DME arc, or any other SID/STAR/approach type flight paths. Database only.

hawker750
15th Sep 2009, 16:23
5 DME ARC
To be pedantic it would not be a DME arc it would be a 5 miles distance from a waypoint ARC.
The only way would be to spend some time with a map and a plotter and create as many phantom way points on the circle as possible, I guess 20 would do it. But why not just eyeball it?