PDA

View Full Version : X-Plane 744

acur1992
6th Sep 2009, 22:37
I am a student pilot having fun on the side with the X-Plane 9 software. I have about 35 hours toward my PPL on a Cessna 172 but also enjoy the bigger stuff on the sim, dreaming of one day flying the 744 for real. Part of the fun for me is making it as realistic as I can, so.....

If possible, could someone answer a few technical questions to help me out?

1. There is a lot of info on the web about taking off and it seems too little about landing. "Make your approach and lower your flaps as needed..." The problem is I do not know when they are needed and not needed! Would someone mind shedding light on when you typically use each flap setting on the 744, speed and distance out?

2. When I do lower the flaps, I usually end up with the nose pointing down at 5 degrees. I've flown on 744's in an out of HKG a number of times and watched them on approach a ton, and don't ever remember going in at an angle with the nose down. Any ideas as to what I am doing wrong? I thought maybe going too fast but I have the auto-pilot speed set on 145-150 (this is after the gear is down).

3. On Cathay, what height/distance do you take the plane off auto-pilot and fly by hand? I have tried it at 10m or so (which can be hard to keep steady) and at 300 feet, plus everything in between. What is the norm?

4. Again at Cathay, what height/speed/etc. do you turn the auto-pilot on? My understanding is different airlines have different procedures.

5. When I land, it seems to take a really long time for the plane to slow down, meaning on occasion is simply doesn't! I have the auto-brake system set at "2", which I read was appropriate for a long runway (HKG). I also have the speedbrake armed. I think the braking is automatic with all of that, so I don't understand why the plane seems to go almost to the end of the runway before it stops.

Anyway, believe it or not (and you probably won't with those questions!), I have gotten better and better at it the last few weeks. It's fun to do my real thing but also do this for fun. Any advice is much appreciated.

Alan

Intruder
6th Sep 2009, 23:27
1. Use the flaps when you have to slow below minimum maneuvering speed for the current flap setting. If no limitations from ATC and on a normal descent path, start about 20 miles out.

2. Bad simulation.

B-HKD
7th Sep 2009, 01:31
Alan,

Just like you I have been flying a C172 for a year now but have also spent quite some time with the infamous Flight Simulators.

Without getting into the whole "its really realistic bs" etc. I would suggest that you check out PMDG Simulations (http://www.precisionmanuals.com) and look at their 744 which will be the closest you will get to the simulation of a 744 on your PC(either FS9 or FSX). If you spend some time and effort with reading the AOM, you will definitely learn many interesting things.

Now regarding X-plane i aree with Intruder 2. Bad simulation. especially when looking at the aircraft and how poorly they have been modeled.

Here one of my screenshots to give you an idea of the far better PMDG 744:

http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/4583/fsscr001.png

You should definitely search around on the PPRuNe forums as you will find many good topics regarding the 744 specifically as there are plenty here, lucky enough to fly the real thing.

So finding answers to some of your questions wont be hard.

You may also want to check out:

SmartCockpit - Airline training guides, Aviation, Operations, Safety (http://www.Smartcockpit.com)

Good luck with your PPL.

Now back to the real world :}

Rainboe
7th Sep 2009, 08:21
That's a very impressive screenshot. Looks almost completely realistic.

Unless fitting in to traffic with speed control, I used to try and not take flap much more than 15 miles to go. On glideslope, to avoid speeding up, you need at least Flap5, probably 10. At 2000', but I used to prefer no later than 1500', gear down, Flap 20, then as the gear slows the plane down, extend 25, to be stable by 1000'. It works (just), and gives you a nice quiet fuel saving approach. Attitude never goes to 5 degrees ND. On final approach, 2-3 degrees NU.
Don't expect too much from these toy simulators. But the PMDG one was always well spoken of by pilots who flew the real thing and the simulator.

acur1992
7th Sep 2009, 13:27
Thank you for the replies....I'm still hoping for more info on the other questions, if others get a chance.

RB, if you don't mind, you mention slowing the plane down by putting the landing gear down...one of the things I am doing is setting the speed in the auto-pilot to 150 at about 10 miles out. I have a feeling that is not realistic. Could you shed some light on speeds at 20m, 15m, 10m and then on in? I know from looking at flightaware.com and also watching the screen on landing a few times in the cabin, the airplane seems to be slowing down almost all the way in but I'm not sure how to accomplish that using the autopilot. Thanks.

HKD, I have looked at PMDG and heard it is great. To be honest, I've been intimidated whether I could fly it, wondering if it is too realistic for a "still amateur" at this. No? It sounds like we have somewhat similar experience. Have you had trouble learning to get the plane set up using PMDG? If not, I may splurge and get that sim.

Thanks to all,
Alan

B-HKD
7th Sep 2009, 16:44
HKD, I have looked at PMDG and heard it is great. To be honest, I've been intimidated whether I could fly it, wondering if it is too realistic for a "still amateur" at this. No? It sounds like we have somewhat similar experience. Have you had trouble learning to get the plane set up using PMDG? If not, I may splurge and get that sim.
I first looked at the PMDG 744 three years ago when i was 14. To be honest it all looked amazing but i quickly realised this was not another plane i could just start up and fly around with.

It took me a year of reading the AOM (provided as a PDF) till i started to understand certain systems more complex than others. Especially the FMC (flight management computer) and its various functions.

But three years later I have learned many things and I am still as interested as I was when i first got it. And to my amazement i learn new things about it on a daily basis , reading PPRuNe of course :8

So if your willing to put some time and interest in reading the manual then you should definitely look into purchasing it.

If you get it and have any questions feel free to PM me!

Leo

Rainboe
7th Sep 2009, 18:26
Remain clean as long as possible, 250 kts, or minimum speed clean (Vref + 80) as long as you are not high. Roundabout 15-20 miles out, start gently extending flaps to 5 Vref + 60 (usual maximum without gear down). The aim to to try and start descending on the glideslope without using much or any power. If you need aerobraking, Flap 10 gives more drag. On the 747, extending to Flap 5 takes a long time. A lot of pilots take more flap and gear at 2000', but I used to find 1500' was sufficient (just). Gear down, Flap 15, Speed Vref+40. Then speed reduces and further Flap 20/25 by 1000' where speed should be stable with power coming on at Vref +5.
4 1/2 years since I flew the 747, but something like that.

Pugilistic Animus
23rd Sep 2009, 19:35
It has the look maybe but I doubt it has the feel:=

in real life I give you less than three minutes to live:E

muduckace
23rd Sep 2009, 22:08
It has the look maybe but I doubt it has the feel:=

in real life I give you less than three minutes to livehttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/evil.gif

I am an AMT with 4 years as an observing flight mechanic and countless hours playing with flight sims. First time in a DC-10 real sim, no motion, slightly limited visability. Could have set up for a 3B landing configured on g/s and disconnected for a stable landing but I decided to (had a good f/o with engineer experience in type in the rt seat) set up ILS raw data and hand fly in. Granted my approach was not pretty, the landing was stout and I had a hard time keeping her on the centre line it was a safe landing.

I bet you my 14 year old nephew with a little coaching being a young flight sim (Gamer) could have done as well or better. The only thing I was not expecting was the weight of the control column, put the kid in a airbus instead.

I disagree with your assumptions.

Pugilistic Animus
23rd Sep 2009, 22:22
First time in a Arrow low over the cemetery 15 knot loss/ buffeting/ wing drops happened to me many times -I keep smiling though:)

It's hard to be a pilot:\

muduckace
24th Sep 2009, 05:32
And I have been an observer 1 dot low on the G/S with a pilot who was obviously living a hard life like yours who decided to flare just a bit too late driving the mains into the ground (DC-10-30) who bounced us like a carne, it was fun hearing the RA call out 30 for the 2nd time as we were probably more than 15kts too slow in a stall slamming the right gear down. I never whined about it. Sing me a song sunshine.

I have more stories, what is your point? It is hard to be a nursemaid too, having to listen to a baby cry all day.

Pugilistic Animus
29th Sep 2009, 17:35
McduckAce what your not understanding is that I was enjoying the experience:ok:

and there is really no excuse to crash those babies anyways

the only use of sim programs [not FAA certificated] is to practice a basic scan--on a basic plane Piper, Cessna. the huge number of bad habits that transfer over from that nonsense is astounding :\

otherwise they are complete crap:)

Less than three minutes!!!