PDA

View Full Version : Teaching IFR

ClintonBaptiste
31st Aug 2009, 07:58
Just a question regarding logging Instrument time, I had a look at LASORīs and a friend sent this same question to the CAA and yet it still remains unclear.

I currently possess an unrestricted JAA FI rating, have 200 hours of instructing and 500 hours total time. I also have around 90 hours of Instrument flying too.

I realise you need 200 hours of IFR to become an FI (IR), but what about at an integrated school? From what I have read you can teach 5 hours per student (the 5hrs being the instrument part of the cpl). Is this correct or does anyone have a clearer idea of what is needed.

The reason I ask is that once I reach the minimums for FI (IR) the school will put me through the licence. Just wondered about the actual IFR counting towards more IF time too (but thatīs a totally different matter altogether)

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Clinton Baptiste

Tc Matic
5th Sep 2009, 14:02
The UK CAA allows you to count 1 hour of actual instrument time (IMC - real or simulated) as 4 hrs of IFR time. [Remember that IFR can perfectly be flown in VMC].
Since you have done an integrated course, all your instrument time would have been 'under the hood', hence you satisfy the minimum requirement of 200hrs IFR, or 50 hrs 'flight by sole reference of instuments'.
Unfortunately, it is only the UK CAA that takes this view, all the others require the full 200hrs.

Whopity
6th Sep 2009, 07:57
To teach for a CPL either Integrated or Modular you need an FI rating with 200 hours instructional experience. The CPL course includes IF which can be taught by a FI with no instrument qualification if it is taught whilst VFR. The FI course includes basic instrument instruction. The one thing you may not have been taught is Limited Panel as it is not in the basic FI syllabus.

You only need the IRI qualification to teach for the Instrument Rating.
The reason why the UK uses 50 hours by sole reference as opposed to 200 hours IFR, is that nobody has ever logged IFR time so there was no way of measuring it.

mad_jock
6th Sep 2009, 09:44
The reason why the UK uses 50 hours by sole reference as opposed to 200 hours IFR, is that nobody has ever logged IFR time so there was no way of measuring it.

To be honest whopity since we have gone JAR I don't think the majority through the mill since then has logged Instrument time. I know my JAR logbook (jepps) doesn't have a column for it. I have been asked what I had declared for the ATPL issue under that heading as it seems to be a lets make a number up to keep them happy box on the form.

Whopity
6th Sep 2009, 20:15
I agree. It is listed in JAR-FCL 1.080 as one of the items to log but legally, you only have to comply with Art 35 which refers to instrument conditions not rules. I've never known anyone log IFR time.

mad_jock
6th Sep 2009, 20:46
Very very common in the airline's especially with pilots trained after 2000