PDA

View Full Version : External Lights

A-3TWENTY
30th Aug 2009, 13:25
Hi all,

What regulations says about navigation lights during daylight in Europe?

Is it necessary to leave them on ? Where Can I find it?

Thanks,

A-3TWENTY

9.G
30th Aug 2009, 14:16
EU - OPS 1.640 - Aeroplane operating lights
An operator shall not operate an aeroplane unless it is equipped with:
(a) for flight by day:
1. anti-collision light system;
2. lighting supplied from the aeroplane’s electrical system to provide
adequate illumination for all instruments and equipment essential to the safe
operation of the aeroplane;
3. lighting supplied from the aeroplane’s electrical system to provide
illumination in all passenger compartments; and
4. an electric torch for each required crew member readily accessible to crew
members when seated at their designated station.
(b) for flight by night, in addition to equipment specified in paragraph (a) above:
1. navigation/position lights; and
2. two landing lights or a single light having two separately energised filaments;
and
3. lights to conform with the international regulations for preventing collisions at
sea if the aeroplane is a seaplane or an amphibian.
Have fun :ok:

varigflier
30th Aug 2009, 14:32
The FARs also don't mention that navigation lights have to be on during the day but the airlines have it on because it is considered a good operational procedure.

TopBunk
30th Aug 2009, 15:25
... but the airlines have it on because it is considered a good operational procedure.

It MAY be standard practice in some parts of the world (USA etc), but to be honest, in daylight, if you can't see something with a 30 metre (100ft) wingspan in good daylight conditions, it is highly unlikely that you wil1 see a 20 Watt Nav light of size 2.5cm/1" at a similar distance!

Common sense dictates that I switch on the Nav lights if, at some stage during the flight, I will need them (saves forgetting later on). If it is a daylight flight, I leave them off, switching them on at destination if the next crew or daily check needs them on.

What I don't understand os people flying around with the weather radar off routinely....