PDA

View Full Version : Whooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

vabsie
27th Aug 2009, 21:08
I know that some of you are probaby getting tired of these types of posts .. but it would be wrong not to share the news with you!

Did my first solo today at 16:30 (after 13 hours of training) at Stapleford in G-BXVY .. funny thing is it was my best landing so far! Strange.

What an amazing feeling!!

Vabsie

PS - Loads of credit to my great instructor!

niknak
27th Aug 2009, 21:31
Well done.

Keep calm and carry on. :ok:

Ryan5252
27th Aug 2009, 21:40
Nice one Vabsie - heres to plenty more ahead with even better landings!! :D

The Fenland Flyer
27th Aug 2009, 22:27
Congratulations :) I did my fist solo on Tuesday, took me 23 hours to get there though!

JohnRayner
27th Aug 2009, 23:00
I know that some of you are probaby getting tired of these types of posts .. but it would be wrong not to share the news with you!

You're right, it would be wrong. Well done!

funny thing is it was my best landing so far! Strange.

Is it strange though? I do all my best work without someone at my side who I know can help me out of the crap if I end up in it :}

Next stop QXC! :ok:

Tarq57
28th Aug 2009, 03:08
This aircraft? (http://www.caa.co.uk/applicationmodules/ginfo/ginfo_photo.aspx?regmark=G-BXVY&imgname=G-BXVY001&imgtype=jpg)
You never forget your first.
Well done.

vabsie
28th Aug 2009, 06:37
Thanks All!

Hi Tarq57 - Yes that must be it .. what a coincidence!? as I can see you are based in Wellington, New Zealand where we might move to next year.

Vabsie

Bearcat
28th Aug 2009, 06:41
:ok:12800 hours later and i still remember my first solo.....welcome to the club.

RudeNot2
28th Aug 2009, 07:58
Congratulations, the feeling never really leaves you and you will have a quiet chuckle to yourself every time you think of it!!

Miles Magister
28th Aug 2009, 08:07
It is one of those well known phenomenon that the aircraft always flys better without a QFI in it!

Well done,

MM

vabsie
28th Aug 2009, 09:11
The Fenland Flyer ... forgot to mention .. very congratulations on your solo too!!

I think there are many factors that determine how long it takes before you do your first solo ... and I was quite lucky with weather for most of my training so far.

Anonystude
28th Aug 2009, 10:27
Hah! Just checked my logbook and that's the same airframe I did my first solo in: 16 Dec 2000. Was going to be the week earlier but the weather didn't allow it. Congrats, btw.

Rodent1982
28th Aug 2009, 13:16
Vabsie congratulations :ok:

I did mine in march this year... fantastic feeling to this day.

Next QXC just 3 more lessons away :8

Bigglesthefrog
28th Aug 2009, 22:22
Well done Vabsie and my congratulations to you.

That first solo is a landmark and I doubt if any single contributor to this forum would ever hazard to suggest that anyone would be "getting tired of these type of posts".
I want to see as many posts like this as the forum server will support because it means that we have another member of the flying community joining us!:ok:

Rainboe
29th Aug 2009, 20:45
After 20,000+ hours, I still remember that first solo! The seat looks very empty, doesn't it? I would have posted up my first solo, but there was no internet then. In fact nobody but me was interested. But you should broadcast it loud and clear!

cyrilroy21
29th Aug 2009, 21:33
I made my instructor record a video of my first solo

Here it is

YouTube - My First Solo Epic Aviation (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0xrl6wkX9w)

The Fenland Flyer
29th Aug 2009, 22:10
Great video! for my first solo I was just happy to make it round the circuit and land OK, asking someone to video it would have been tempting fate i think, but then my landings have been somewhat random; one good one followed by one really awful one. Still the undercarriage is still attached to the rest of the plane, so I can't be doing too badly :O

Markiepickle
30th Aug 2009, 21:33
Well done Vabsie!

I also completed my first solo on Saturday (29th August)! What a fantastic feeling! It took me 25 hours to reach this point but I was certainly in no hurry and was glad to get as much experience as possible before I did it!

I took my wife with me to video the event but she missed the whole thing whilst looking after the kids! Never mind - it will live in my memory for a long time yet...

Lightning6
30th Aug 2009, 21:54
Well done Vabsie. :ok:

it will live in my memory for a long time yet...

It will live in your memory forever, I can remember mine (back in the 70's) every bit of it, including the mixed emotions, I remember being quite nervous up to the hold for 03 at Biggin, I was then given clearance to line up for immediate take off, as soon as I opened the throttle all the nerves went. I was amazed at the rate of climb without my instructor in the RH seat! I made the best circuit and landing I could have imagined, after that my emotions turned to elation...Unforgettable.

Mike744
30th Aug 2009, 22:52
Completed my first solo last Thursday. My first impression was of the empty space beside me. I was very conscience of doing everything exactly the way I was taught and it worked out fine - even got complimented by the FI on my landing (sez he modestly).
Did four minutes LH orbits at the end of the DW leg awaiting a FlyBe and managed to keep that at circuit height and joined base okay. A great experience that I'll never ever forget. Its my retirement fun (65 y.o) Yipee...

Lightning6
30th Aug 2009, 23:04
Well done Mike :D, I can see you are going to enjoy your retirement. :ok:

Lister Noble
31st Aug 2009, 07:01
Mike well done,I got my licence 3 days after my 63rd birthday and have enjoyed every flight since.
There is life in us old dogs yet!
Lister:)

cityfan
31st Aug 2009, 07:36
Been down that runway myself a time or two, but my solo was about 20 miles north at Flagler Airport!

Spent WAY TOO MANY HOURS watching new students TRY to get into the traffic pattern on a 45 at New Smyrna and, sadly, lost someone I knew in a crash there about 12-14 years ago. Also did my first international flight from that airport, flying to Walker's Cay in the Bahamas, mon. 3 days of scuba diving later, we reentered the USA and almost had the aircraft impounded, as it was on a temporary registration due to recent purchase!!! Ah, the memories!

Anyway, it looked like a nice smooth rotation and liftoff (looked like you were heading for Fort Myers as the video pulled back!) and the landing looked as good as any I did in the last few days in my A319/320! Well done, sir! :ok:

Warning, you have now made love to the worst mistress you will ever have, so try and find someone to pay YOU to do what you just did, at your earliest opportunity!! :p

Livin' the dream!

Cityfan