PDA

View Full Version : 787 has taxi tests

lasernigel
23rd Aug 2009, 20:07
On the same page link to the new 747-800 cockpit layout there is another link to the 787 taxi tests on 19/08/09.
In ANA livery, I take it they are the launch customer.
Two comments, nice to see the engine choice RR 1000, and a question?
Does the rear nacelle have zig zag cut out or is it a paint job and an optical illusion. If the answer is yes it does, why?

Spooky 2
23rd Aug 2009, 20:41
Yes it does have the zig zag cut out as does the 747-8. It's a noise reduction design feature...so I'm told

FCS Explorer
23rd Aug 2009, 20:52
so called "chevron nozzles"

Credit Crunched
23rd Aug 2009, 21:56
Anyone know what the cone hanging from the top of the tailfin is? Seen it before on a 777 during tests. Its visible on the vid at around 1:20

Genghis the Engineer
23rd Aug 2009, 22:01
Anyone know what the cone hanging from the top of the tailfin is? Seen it before on a 777 during tests. Its visible on the vid at around 1:20

Trailing static -this is standard on most prototype airliners to give a high accuracy static source.

(If you browse the flight test forum, this comes up as a question about twice per year and you can find quite a lot of description, pictures, etc.)

G

Spooky 2
23rd Aug 2009, 22:32
I heard someone ask that question while in the pattern at Moses Lake which is where Boeing does a lot of test flying. The guy asked the same question of a Boeing test flight and the guy in the 737 came back without so much as a pause and said "it's the price tag sonny"! :)

Credit Crunched
25th Aug 2009, 02:29
Thanks, Genghis.

muduckace
25th Aug 2009, 02:31
It is an additional static source designed to provide backup or possible un-interuppted data to compare with the static ports on the aircraft that are known to be inaccurate if improperly placed or if the airflow over them is abnormally disturbed. They are for proving runs only.

This allows modern aircraft to be RVSM capable out of the box. I remember having to help set this rig up on DC-9's within the last decade when US airspace was to be mandated RVSM as part of a measure to qualify them.

Currently a designated diamiter around the static port needs to be inspected for dents or abnormality's to maintain RVSM status.