PDA

View Full Version : P1 seat

wobblyprop
22nd Aug 2009, 21:52
This has recently be debated at length at my local club.

On an aircraft such as C152 or PA28 is there only one P1 seat i.e. the left one?

Not sure where to find a definitive answer.

Thanks

Wobbers

chrisbl
23rd Aug 2009, 06:29
The P1 can sit wherever they like left or right seat it is up to them.

Duchess_Driver
23rd Aug 2009, 10:10
When I instruct, an occupational hazard of that is that I'm recorded as being P1, pilot in command.

I sit in the right hand seat.

You can sit where you like - however, if you aren't familiar with flying from a 'different' seat then I'd get an instructor to fly with you. You can easily fall into 'conditional' traps if you are not familiar with it.

DD

DB6
23rd Aug 2009, 12:40
Look in the aircraft manual. You will find reference somewhere to which seat should be occupied for solo occupancy. e.g. if it's a PA28 it must be LHS as the fuel cock can't be reached from the RHS. This is subtly different from P1 but is all you will find I suspect.

Tinstaafl
23rd Aug 2009, 15:47
I had no trouble reaching the fuel selector from the RHS when I was instructing. I don't recall the LHS being specified for sole occupancy in a PA28. It's been a number of years though so maybe my memory is.....er......what was I talking about?

I think a Victa Airtourer had a flight manual LHS requirement for sole occupancy. Had to do with reaching the flap lever. However, a sole occupancy seat position isn't necessarily the same as Pilot in Command/P1 if more one crew member is aboard. P1 is about duties & responsibilities, not who can reach what switch.

sapperkenno
24th Aug 2009, 16:31
I've flown PA28's solo from the right seat on maintenance flights before (running in a new engine), and still reached the Fuel selector fine. (I'm 6'2", and was "practising" flying from the right prior to my flight instructor course)

I'm not aware of any legalities, or anything in the POH regarding flying from the right, but I'm sure the insurers would have something to say in the event of a mishap!

Another question... Can you solo a PA18-150 Supercub from the rear?? I'm sure I read that you can in the owners manual... Can't see the mixture being well within reach though!?

Big Pistons Forever
24th Aug 2009, 17:20
For solo flying, unless there is a specific reference in the limitations section of the POH, than you can sit in any seat you want. The PA 28 has no such limitation in the POH. The only light aircraft with side by side seating that has a left seat only for solo limitation, that I can think of, is some (maybe all ?) models of the 2 seat Katana. The Supercub does have a solo front seat only limitation. With more than one pilot only one of course, can be the PIC and he/she could be in either seat.

The only caveat is pilots who have only flown from the left seat will initially find the sight picture from the right seat "wrong" particularly when landing, which usually leads to intial difficulty keeping the wings level and the aircrafts longitudinal axis aligned with the runway centreline. If you want to fly from the right seat I would recommend a few circuits with an instructor first.

Cows getting bigger
24th Aug 2009, 17:28
There are some PA28s I wouldn't fly from the right. Notably those without brakes on the right hand rudder pedals. :)

Ex Oggie
25th Aug 2009, 19:11
You can sit where you like

I wouldn't recommend trying to fly from the back seats, unless you have a large ball of string and 2 broomhandles :E

Duchess_Driver
25th Aug 2009, 19:57
You can sit where you like

I wouldn't recommend trying to fly from the back seats, unless you have a large ball of string and 2 broomhandles

And what was wrong with Hightowers adaptaion of the Honda Civic in Police Academy?:)

DB6
26th Aug 2009, 09:32
Memory probably playing tricks again, or it was a PA28 with no brakes on the RHS I was thinking about. One I do recall was the Firefly M260 which at JEFTS was specified solo from RHS only as the instruments were on the right. Anyway you get the idea: P1 doesn't matter, solo might.

Whopity
26th Aug 2009, 12:08
Notably those without brakes on the right hand rudder pedals.Most of those I have flown like this didn't have toe brakes on the left either! You've got a hand brake.

A Very Civil Pilot
27th Aug 2009, 16:55
And what was wrong with Hightowers adaptaion of the Honda Civic in Police Academy?

Weight and balance of course!

When I was hour building in a PA28, on some of the longer (solo) flights, I'd swap seats every now and again, just to liven things up.

Talking of seats, I remember hearing that in Lufthansa, the PF always sits in the LHS, so if it's the FO's leg, he swaps seat with the Captain. Could be complete b*****ks of course.