PDA

View Full Version : Flying in Chiang Mai

PompeyPaul
16th Aug 2009, 15:03
I've done a search on the forum and found the thread on flying in Thailand and have contacted the NOK flying club by email.

I was just wondering if there were any other possibilities around that area ? I have emailed the Chiang Mai flying club (Chiangmai Flying Club Thailand. Our club operates from its own privateairstrip near Lamphun just 25 minutes drive from Chiangmai (http://www.cmflyingclub.com/home/)) but didn't get a reply.

I'll be out there on November and would, ideally, like to rent a PA28. Depending on price I might do quite a bit of flying out there, which I understand means taking the Thai air law exam. I'm guessing that it can't be that different to the UK one and so would brush up and have a crack at it.

Thanks for any info
Paul

Phil Space
16th Aug 2009, 16:08
I've done a search on the forum and found the thread on flying in Thailand and have contacted the NOK flying club by email.

I was just wondering if there were any other possibilities around that area ? I have emailed the Chiang Mai flying club (Chiangmai Flying Club Thailand. Our club operates from its own privateairstrip near Lamphun just 25 minutes drive from Chiangmai) but didn't get a reply.

I'll be out there on November and would, ideally, like to rent a PA28. Depending on price I might do quite a bit of flying out there, which I understand means taking the Thai air law exam. I'm guessing that it can't be that different to the UK one and so would brush up and have a crack at it.

Thanks for any info
Paul

Take it from someone who lives there things have changed a lot in Thailand over the last couple of years. GA flying has taken several backward steps.

It will take you a lot of time and effort to get a Thai License.This will have a variety of restrictions and unless you are planning to live in the country I suggest you forget it

There are issues at NOK that will take time to resolve. Part of the problem is the only two western/european operations in Chiang Mai are side by side and have bickered for years. This has not helped the visitor who wants to rent.

Chiang Mai Flying Club has been through a rough time. If you read the threads
below you'll get an idea of the obstacles you will have to overcome with the Thai DCA.
http://www.pprune.org/archive/index.php/t-356721.html

PompeyPaul
16th Aug 2009, 18:24
So presumably flying with an instructor, in the LHS is not an issue if I wanted to go that route ?

I had read that thread. Shame some ejit decided to fly 4 up in a C172 in a hot country. Unbelievable...

Phil Space
16th Aug 2009, 19:40
Your best bet is to contact Yves at Nok.

He can also take you gliding if things have been sorted.

The trips to do are Chiang Mai to Mae Hong Son and Chiang Mai to Mai Sariang. Great mountain flying and scenary and you can see Burma.

The flying is not expensive but budget for a night in a hotel to make the trip worthwhile.

pm me a month before you go.