PDA

View Full Version : Trip to Berlin

miroc
16th Aug 2009, 14:01
I need to go to Berlin in middle of September for 2 days. I am considering to fly VFR a rented DA-40 TDI instead of driving.

Do I have to use Schoenefeld or is there a better airport with
acceptable public transport to the city (and Jet or Diesel fuel)?
I must admit I do not have too much experience with busy airports and lots of jet traffic around.

Miroc

IO540
16th Aug 2009, 14:41
Big airports are not a problem especially in N Europe where ATC is pretty competent.

You need the VFR kit for the airport with a detailed map of the layout, and study it before you go there. Also study the VFR circuits etc.

I can't advise on the airport itself as I only went to Tempelhof which is now closed.

echobeach
16th Aug 2009, 15:33
I suspect your route will be different from mine given your location. German atc were very helpful to us vfr and it was a pleasure flying long distances across Germany.
Also have only flown into tempelhof last year but as long as you work out vfr entry and reporting points it all seemed pretty straightfoward.
Public transport is good in Berlin so would expect you would have no problem getting in from schoenefeld.
My experience of large airports in Europe with commercial traffic is that they are generally very friendly and you don't feel out of place in small ga craft. Not unusual to have a follow me car which is a great help on big fields you haven't visited before. Had one at tempelhof to guide to apron.
Pasted link to our thread last year below if it works.

http://www.pprune.org/private-flying/325221-vfr-weekend-tempelhof-advice-needed.html