PDA

View Full Version : radio use

micromalc
9th Aug 2009, 13:54
Hypothetic question: You are doing a flight across the UK avoiding class A and Matz etc. Do you
A. Change radio freq when you are approaching destination
or
B. continually monitor various freq on route

bjornhall
9th Aug 2009, 14:15
C. Obtain a service from whoever is working that airspace.

Gertrude the Wombat
9th Aug 2009, 16:11
You'll get some of each. I do A, B or C depending on all sorts of things. What's the point of your question?

micromalc
9th Aug 2009, 16:26
no point really...it's just that the other day i did a 3 hour flight and by the time i landed i wanted some peace and quiet, which is why i went flying in the first place (haha)

fisbangwollop
9th Aug 2009, 18:17
You may find the peace and quiet not much use when that little thing at the front stops spinning...... My job is Scottish information and i can say this for sure there are a few folk out there that are glad they were talking to me when that very thing happened!! Enjoy your peace and quiet for sure but next time you fly over Scotland just please pop up and say hello......you will find me on 119.875...:ok::ok::ok:

micromalc
9th Aug 2009, 18:38
yep, if ever i'm over scotland i most certainly will.

Rod1
9th Aug 2009, 18:41
Ask yourself what you need in the way of a service. If you are in a remote area, you may decide to talk to XXX info. If you are flying over “normal” countryside, clear of CAS and do not need the few things a BS service can offer then you do not have to talk to them. In this case I suggest you keep a listening watch on 121.5, just in case you have a problem. Remember there are many 1000’s of non-radio aircraft in the UK who have a quiet time all the time. I used to fly a non-radio aircraft myself and it can be very liberating.

Rod1