PDA

View Full Version : Information regarding the Top End

Pages : [1] 2

sky_pilot
4th Aug 2009, 12:24
Hello fellow Aviation enthusiasts,

As i am heading up to the Northern Territory/ Western Australia mid next week i would like to get some information about a couple of things.

I am after information in regards to Accommodation, Aircraft hire, Means of Travel, Dining, Aero Clubs and all those hideaway places jobs as a low hours pilot could be found.

I have so far planned to head for Darwin and make my way down to Kununurra, Derby, Broome, Karratha, Alice Springs, Kalgoorlie.( Pretty much anywhere Big or small which an aviation service can be found)

Any information about places which could be a possible target would be much appreciated.

Just a reminder that i am as like most of us starting out on a budget.

Also if there are people who would make good contact please PM me as i am looking to meet and greet as many people as possible..

Thanks, Sky Pilot :ok:

Maxweight
5th Aug 2009, 20:34
Not sure if you have received any pm re the above thread but here is some info.
Not too sure of the current scene in Darwin but there used to be a pilots watering hole called the 'institute'i think it is near the flying school(s).

There is an aeroclub in Alice so that would be a good starting point there.

Kununurra,once again not sure but they have an active scene due,in part, the bungles also don't forget Halls Creek and Fitzroy Crossing,and Broome and Derby while i am at it.

Karatha KFS not sure there.
Kalgoorlie should still be okay due the gold mining(prices of gold still high),the operator there is GAS .

Do not underestimate the distances involved,not sure if u have wheels or not but consider a small tent and camp at van parks otherwise there is the trusty old backpackers.

Try and ring a couple of the operators and you may get a feel for what lies ahead.

I realise i have not given you a whole lot but have mentioned a couple of places that you may not have considered.

Max:ok:

The Green Goblin
6th Aug 2009, 00:50
Darwin

Hardy Aviation
Chartair
Direct Air
Air Frontier
Av8
Australasian Jet
Pearl
Vincent
Airnorth
Pel Air

Jabiru

AAA Air Charter
Kakadu Air Services

Alice Springs

Australasian Jet
Chartair
Pearl
Alice Springs Aero Club

Kunus

Alligator
Slingair
Shoal Air

Wyndham

Wydham Air Charter

Halls Creek

Broome Aviation base
Broome Skyways

Derby

Bushflight/Reeflight
Golden Eagle
RFDS

Broome

King Leopold Air
Broom Aviation
(several float plane operators)

Port Hedland

Polar Aviation
RFDS

Karratha

Karratha Flying Services
Tropic Air Karratha Base

Exmouth

Norwest Air Services

Carnarvon

Tropic Air

Shark Bay

Shark Bay Air Charter

Kalbarri

Kalbarri Air Charter

Geraldton

Shine Aviation Services
Geraldton Air Charter
Batavia Coast Air Charter

Kalgoorlie

Goldfields Air Services

There are a couple of smaller operators that I have more than likely forgotten but the vast majority are there.

Mr. Hat
6th Aug 2009, 01:14
Goblin wish you were around with that list when I started!

If i may I'll highlight the ones that would be most likely to employ young mate? Maybe if others could fill in the bits i'm not sure about..?

Green - 200-300 hr applicants
Red - 350-700 hr applicants
Blue - 1st twin job (700 - 1000 hr)
Black - 1st Turbine (1000 - 1500)
? - don't know

Basically you'll be black and blue by the time you've got your 500 multi!!:}
Bourketown

Savannah

Mt Isa

Air Mount Isa

Darwin

Hardy Aviation
Chartair
Direct Air ?
Air Frontier
Av8 ?
Pearl
Vincent
Airnorth
Pel Air

Jabiru

AAA Air Charter
Kakadu Air Services

Alice Springs

Australasian Jet ?
Chartair
Pearl
Alice Springs Aero Club ?

Kunus

Alligator
Slingair
Shoal Air ?

Weipa

Weipa Air

Wyndham

Wydham Air Charter ?

Halls Creek

Broome Aviation base ?
Broome Skyways ?

Derby

Bushflight/Reeflight ?
Golden Eagle
RFDS

Broome

King Leopold Air
Broome Aviation
(several float plane operators)

Port Hedland

Polar Aviation
RFDS

Karratha

Karratha Flying Services
Tropic Air Karratha Base

Exmouth

Norwest Air Services ?

Carnarvon

Tropic Air

Shark Bay

Shark Bay Air Charter ?

Kalbarri

Kalbarri Air ?

Geraldton

Shine Aviation Services ?
Geraldton Air Charter ?
Batavia Coast Air Charter ?

Kalgoorlie

Goldfields Air Services

FL170
6th Aug 2009, 02:05
Mr.Hat- Great manifest, when the time comes I'll be using it..I think we all owe you a beer :ok:

FL170
6th Aug 2009, 02:08
:uhoh: oops green goblin I ditto my last comment for you too!

myshoutcaptain
6th Aug 2009, 02:11
Broome Aviation , you can start as green and come out black :ok:

The Green Goblin
6th Aug 2009, 02:38
As I have said many times on here before you are best off to dig into a location with a high chance of employment. Driving around is an option in the odd chance you are Johnny on the spot, but in days gone by it was a waiting game.

I'd be going to Kunus and digging in, working at the servo particularly the shell road house as most of the pilots get their luncho pies from there (god I miss 'em) and wait it out.

I'd then crack the tonne and head to Hardy in Darwin if the opportunity
presents although there are other options also.

It really is the wrong time of year though to be starting out, most of the hiring has finished and in another few months the firing will begin with the scenic operators or leave issued for the wet season to the guys that they want to come back the following year (and more and more will return as last seasons guys are not moving onto multi engine gigs and the multi engine guys are not moving onto turbine gigs, who in turn are not moving onto jets). The more senior guys (last seasons returners) fly the wet which is the most interesting time of year to fly. In days gone by you would need a couple of VFR wets before you had a crack at a multi engine job in Darwin (and 3000 single), that requirement was overlooked over the last couple of years but I'd bet my Christmas lunch it will rear its head again next year.

I'm all for guy's starting out, we have all been there and it is an adventure that only those who have left the city can understand. The flying is great, the conditions can be lousy but they make for far more interesting cockpit tales later down the track.

Keep me updated via PM (I extend that offer to all newbies) and I'll keep my ear to the floor at what is happening around the place and may be able to help you secure a start somewhere.

Mr. Hat
6th Aug 2009, 02:58
The list is all the work of the Green Goblin.

I agree with Goblins advice but add that you should be keeping the other locations on the "boil" as well if you can. I used to save up and plan trips that were combined with the occasional follow up call just to touch base once I had met the Senior or Chief pilot. Its not hard to keep your name close to the top of the list in many different companies like this.

A fellow I met right at the start of my journey told me to treat it like an adventure as opposed to a chore. However sometimes the getting changed and shaving in service stations started to feel a bit chore like after a while!

Added a couple to the list not sure if they are still running though...

I'm happy to update it if people know the details of the ones I'm unsure of.

MakeItHappenCaptain
6th Aug 2009, 02:59
Quite often helps to rock up with 20 hours on a 200 series cessna at a lot of these places. If it's your first job, odds are that's what you'll be flying.:ok:

The Green Goblin
6th Aug 2009, 03:08
Quite often helps to rock up with 20 hours on a 200 series cessna at a lot of these places. If it's your first job, odds are that's what you'll be flying.

A checkride is sufficient.

Chances are you'll be flying an Airvan these days, 210 is the carrot being dangled in front of your face if you behave and don't break too much.

I have over 400 hours in the Airvan, my arse is still sore!

vee1-rotate
6th Aug 2009, 03:48
Many thanks for the list guys...helps a heap with personal job research! cheers

M14_P
6th Aug 2009, 05:10
Good luck guys and what a great list Goblin. :)

dik cheney
6th Aug 2009, 09:02
I have over 400 hours in the Airvan, my arse is still sore!Whats with the Airvan seats? I'd rather be in a C152 any day when it comes to comfort...now thats saying something.

MakeItHappenCaptain
6th Aug 2009, 13:50
Our op still uses 206 and 210s (and a G1000 182:E). Not airvans, although agreed, they are becoming more common.

When I was looking around (admittedly many years back), most of the low time employers required the 20 hrs on type for insurance (if not 400TT) although you'll probably do at least this during your initial ICUS. Is this still the case?
GG?

eeper23
6th Aug 2009, 14:04
You forgot a few operators in the NT. Katherine Aviation is pretty big these days, last time I heard they had around a dozen aircraft, probably more now as they took over all the Ausjet bases, Groote, Gove, Ngkurr etc.. Further south you have Helimuster at YVRD, they operate a 206 and even further south you have Lajamanu Air.

Hmmmm Ayers Rock Scenic Flights at Alice.... Gundabalya (sp?) Air Charters up at Oenpelli, Broome Air Services in Broome.. probably a few more.

The Green Goblin
7th Aug 2009, 01:33
Our op still uses 206 and 210s (and a G1000 182). Not airvans, although agreed, they are becoming more common.

When I was looking around (admittedly many years back), most of the low time employers required the 20 hrs on type for insurance (if not 400TT) although you'll probably do at least this during your initial ICUS. Is this still the case?
GG?

You usually do about 5 hours ICUS for VFR and 10 for IFR before being let loose. It also depends on the insurance requirements for the operator.

Usually a checkride will be 0.5ish consisting of a few circuits in different configs (flap, half flap, flapless etc) they'll pull the power on you ATO and ask were you are going to land and perhaps later in the circuit see you conduct a glide approach from late downwind. (If you're flying a wide circuit cause you are not used to the speed of a 210 you won't make it) You'll then get a route check with the CP and do a few ICUS legs with the senior guys before being let loose on your own.

250TT used to be the ticket when I started, and 520/540 time is pretty good. If your school has a 182rg use it for your CPL as it has a 540 and retract with similar performance to a 210 (although the 540 is no 520 thats for sure)

Jandakot Flight Centre have a 210 (VH-MVQ) which they are happy to check you out on and may even give you some ICUS. (They do Perth to Shark Bay a few times a week) If you are from the East Coast you are best off to fly into Perth, buy a car, do a checkride on the 210 and drive up the West Coast. Cars in Darwin are over priced (2k will get you a $500 car) and they are even worse off in the country towns. Buy a cheap reliable (no Hyandai or the likes) 4 cyl with Aircon like a Toyota Corolla, Nissan Pulser etc chuck a spare set of belts in the back, cheap tools some oil/coolant and a spare water pump and hoses just in case.

This time of year it gets pretty cold at night in the tropics especially inland around Kununurra so don't make the mistake I did, take jumpers and jackets!!

Oh and never rock up in Pilot Uniform for an interview - dress to impress (no thongs flip flops or jandels) Take 3 blue shirts and 3 white (Alligator wear Khaki now, I believe and they look like Steve Irwin RIP) Invest in a GPS (Garmin 96/196/296 are the way to go)

There were lots of guys that didn't get work in Kunus this year (mainly Kiwis from what I heard) so don't take it to heart if you don't get work. If you are patient it will happen just don't lower your standards and work for below the award. Know your entitlements and if quized about what you would like to be paid always reply with the award.

GG

Unregistered123
7th Aug 2009, 06:20
GG you seem to be pretty knowledgeable with these operators up north and your last post regarding shirts sparked up a question. Do these operators mind you wearing long sleeve shirts? I know this must sound like an extremely stupid question, but looking through photos etc they all seem to wear short sleeve and shorts.
My arms and face look like this guy after five minutes in the sun ---> :\

Cheers.

The Green Goblin
7th Aug 2009, 06:59
Wear sunscreen!

I'm sure no-one will mind you wearing long sleeves, however your face will still be bright red as it gets damn hot during the day! (especially during the build)

solowflyer
10th Aug 2009, 04:28
This thread seems very informative and some good info for newbees maybe the moderators could make it a Sticky.

Track5milefinal
10th Aug 2009, 09:30
The most informative thread on Pprune

Seconded for sticky!:ok:

training wheels
10th Aug 2009, 10:01
Seconded for sticky!:ok:

Why not just bookmark it in your Firefox/Internet Explorer?

SystemsAreGo
11th Aug 2009, 03:47
For those guys heading north and don't want to make the drive, I have a good reliable car up in Darwin I would like to get rid of. PM me for details

JulieFlyGal
11th Aug 2009, 12:42
Sorry for the stupid question, but when exactly is the wet season? And is this when the flying gets busy due to the roads being flooded and therefore a greater need for flying in to and out of the remote townships?

JulieFlyGal
11th Aug 2009, 21:49
@Julieflygirl

LOL!

Politically_Blonde, you obviously don't know, do you? I read somewhere you don't even have your PPL. May be you can add something useful to this website once you have some flying qualification? :rolleyes:

redsnail
11th Aug 2009, 22:03
Julie,

Before you hit someone else with sarcasm, think about how you come across.
If you have not done CPL or ATPL Meteorology, fair enough. If you have, then I'd dive back into your theory notes.

To answer.

The "Wet" pertains to the Wet Season in the northern part of Australia when the good ol' ITCZ shifts south bringing monsoonal conditions. Lots of rain, lots of thunderstorms and the occasional cyclone to spark things up.

Which month this happens is the talk of the locals "up north", but "Summer" is a reasonable answer.

Also, I punched in "When is the wet season in Australia" (http://www.outback-australia-travel-secrets.com/kimberley_climate_temperatures.html) into Google and got a few hits.

The flying rate overall is less than in the "Dry" because of fewer tourists. However, many communities are cut off because of rising flood waters or washed out roads. So, for the crews that remain during the Wet, they are still busy. It is more challenging and requires a bit more experience.

tinpis
11th Aug 2009, 22:36
Dunno if the bush fire smoke (viz) may not be a bit more challenging for a tyro in the dry Reddo?
But I supppose nowdays yer just read them GPS things?

If you poke your nose into something wetty and bumpy you're nuts anyway.

redsnail
11th Aug 2009, 23:08
Tinny,

I know what you're saying and it definitely has some truth. However, I found that if you had the altitude to play with, just drop down 1-3 thou' feet and the viz improved considerably. Trying to bash your way through the smoke haze close to the inversion layer was hard work. :ugh:

From my experience the worst of the smoke haze was about 8,000' (inversion dependent) or so, therefore, a drop to 4 or 5,000' wasn't difficult nor too great a fuel penalty. :D

GPS's are useful for sure, but they can't solve all the problems.
Agreed re wet and bumpy stuff.. :ouch:

The Voice
11th Aug 2009, 23:31
If you believe everything in the media, then we're in for an absolute shocker this year with an El nino event forming already .. hmmmm .. I thought it awful last year. :bored:

tinpis
12th Aug 2009, 02:39
Build up.
I have my mad pills ready beside me bed.

JulieFlyGal
12th Aug 2009, 06:51
redsnail, thanks for your answer (and thanks to those who PMed me as well). That's the sort of info I'm looking for. Info from people who have been there done that and got the t-shirt. This is the reason why me and a lot of other newbies come here to Pprune. .. to get quality information and advice .. not to be laughed at for simply asking a question.

And yes, I have done ATPL Met but I can't recall every single detail that was covered in the syllabus and I'm sure I'm not the only one either. :)

Thanks again ..

SM227
12th Aug 2009, 07:43
What kind of experience, if any, would typicaly be enough to land you a job or interview over the phone or by email? Im in a situation where I have a trickle of work and dont want to risk loosing it and alot of cash travelling in the hope I might get a full time job. I have done the door knock thing a couple of times and, well, it doesnt give me much confidence that its going to work any better some place else :}

ResumeOwnNav
12th Aug 2009, 07:45
JulieFlyGal if I may add to redsnails comments.

Some places in the Top End, particularly Arnhem Land, the wet is infact the busier season. Due to what redsnail and yourself illustrated, the closing of roads.

This is of course for the places that don't have tourist clientele, lovely remote aboriginal communities.

Try AAA Charter, Kakadu Air, Gunbalanya Air Charter, Maningrida Progress Association, MAF, Air Frontier, Katherine Aviation & Chartair for bases in Arnhem Land.

Nav.

MakeItHappenCaptain
12th Aug 2009, 09:11
What kind of experience, if any, would typicaly be enough to land you a job or interview over the phone or by email?

Welcome to the wonderful world of aviation....:rolleyes:

People....your first job will be the hardest to get. You need the hours to get the work and you need the work to get the hours.

You have a much better chance of getting work if you turn up in person rather than have your resume circularly filed.
At least arrange an interview with a group of operators and schedule to catch a burner up to DN, hire something useful and plan a route over a few days that will get you in front of as many potential employers as possible.

May not be the ideal plan but you gotta start somewhere.:ok:

training wheels
12th Aug 2009, 10:12
catch a burner up to DN, hire something useful and plan a route over a few days that will get you in front of as many potential employers as possible.

I plan to do this soon, however I see that the aeroclub in Darwin (http://www.aeroclub.com.au/queryao.php?id=60&query=&start=4&expand=148) has closed.

Anyone know where I can hire a C172 in Darwin?

Is the Darwin Flying School (http://www.darwinflyingschool.com/) still running?

johnny1717
12th Aug 2009, 23:50
I don't think he meant to fly around these places. Driving would be the affordable option.

If you flew all it would take is one crappy radio call and you won't even have to bother landing.

solowflyer
13th Aug 2009, 04:20
Adding to what johnny said you may find yourself standing on a strip in the middle of nowhere with no way of contacting anyone to come pick you up if you plan on just dropping in, not all operators offices are at the airfield. Best to drive up and go see them.

mic310
13th Aug 2009, 08:51
Training Wheels, try AV8 if they are still going in Darwin. You could hire a 172 when I was there in Jan:ok:

AussieNick
13th Aug 2009, 11:21
AV8 no longer hire their aircraft out unless and instructor is with you.

just remember to call and arrange a convienent time to meet with the CP as alot of CP's are out flying and the last this you want to do is end up at an office without anyone to talk to till 5pm

soseg
23rd Aug 2009, 06:00
For those of you who have driven up north from the cities... in search of a job, do you recommend it? or like someone said before - catch a plane to darwin, hire a car and drive around that way, see if you score anything - if so, fly back home, pack your car and drive back up?

Or would it be better just driving there with a full car and going from place to place or sitting around some larger location working at coles until luck comes your way?

I'm in Melb and I'm just wondering what the hell the drive up there is like... the roads... fuel stops along the way... what one would need, etc, how many hours say from Melb - Darwin or Alice Springs

tinpis
23rd Aug 2009, 06:44
Find a camper van in MEL.(NOT VW!)
Drive up
Sleep in van(theres nowhere else)
Earn good bucks stacking Coles/Woolies
Real pain and poverty comes when you get the flying job.

dik cheney
23rd Aug 2009, 07:02
Soseg, don't waste money flying up for a visit, if you want to be a charter pilot, make the move north. Unless you have some sort of experience I wouldn't bother with Darwin, better move to Kununurra or Broome and get a day job.

Chances of finding a gig before March-April next year are slim, even then it will take a bit of good timing and luck to land a job. People on here can be pretty optimistic when it comes to giving advice to newbie's. With no regionals employing, movement in GA is going to be very slow for some time yet.

aseanaero
23rd Aug 2009, 12:03
Find a camper van in MEL

Nah , fly to Adelaide and buy a ute and a swag :ok:

tinpis
23rd Aug 2009, 20:53
I was told getting there in like early Jan would be good - end of the wet season...

A bit of research on local seasonal weather may be beneficial :rolleyes:

Remember that thingamy they talked about in ATPL met ? The ITCZ?

(or did they?) :ugh:

The Green Goblin
24th Aug 2009, 02:17
Quote:
A bit of research on local seasonal weather may be beneficial

Remember that thingamy they talked about in ATPL met ? The ITCZ?
Hahah I know I know... but I meant more getting there a tad early as it very slowly would begin to draw to an end... maybe early jan not being optimal... but maybe just a few weeks later

You'll find that the wet aint over until April :ok:

morno
24th Aug 2009, 02:37
Ohh to be a fly on the wall when this young lad comes across his first water crossing at the "end of the wet" (ie. late January), :}.

I think you really need to do a bit of research into the wet season pal. It starts at about October with the buildup, then around Christmas/New Year is normally the first monsoon, and all finishing up around April if it's a normal wet.

morno

tinpis
24th Aug 2009, 03:00
Wet.. GOOD :ok:

Build-up.. Baaaad http://www.augk18.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/cry4.gif

I really don't know if I can take my 25th or so build-up...http://www.augk18.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/crazymad.gif http://www.augk18.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/crazybangbang.gif

aseanaero
24th Aug 2009, 11:11
I really don't know if I can take my 25th or so build-up...http://www.augk18.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/crazymad.gif http://www.augk18.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/crazybangbang.gif

Going troppo tinpis or already there ?

The Green Goblin
24th Aug 2009, 11:39
my wet season theory isnt the sharpest atm
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/k4hpbOD5sCo&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/k4hpbOD5sCo&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>/

:cool:

j3pipercub
24th Aug 2009, 12:53
nickajillity cuz

AussieNick
24th Aug 2009, 13:35

no easier when you've gone through one every year of your life.

at least that means i don't need my silly pills

soseg
25th Aug 2009, 02:56
lol green goblin ...nice vid, love the accents!

Jex
25th Aug 2009, 08:17
Not sure if any info on this site is still relevant as it's now almost a decade old, but hopefully some of it is still useful for anyone thinking about heading up north:

The Adventures of Robbo the Yobbo! (http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/jr568/north/)

cheers

Jex

tmpffisch
25th Aug 2009, 08:49
Great site.

AnyGivenSunday99
25th Aug 2009, 11:39
Jex - Best site I have seen in years. The last 12 months in the top end for me have given me some of the best memories, and awesome mates.

Looking forward to getting back up there....:ok:

soseg
26th Aug 2009, 09:16
oh what timing... was just looking for that website like a day ago!

Okavango
2nd Sep 2009, 12:16
Sorry for the bump guys - just maybe need a link for future reference as I couldn't find this through the search facility.

Edward_tci
22nd Sep 2009, 12:54
Hey guys new to this thread,

Just wondering whether 450 total and about 180 C210 would give me any chance of getting work up north. Planning on making a move up there in feb or march.

Or is there any possibility of getting charter or scenic work on the east coast with those hours? I'm not from Oz but I should be making the move down there towards the beginning of next year.

How's the situation at the moment, just wondering whether to leave my job as it's coming into quiet season here.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edward

the air up there
22nd Sep 2009, 14:04
edward, with those hours most operators in the NT/WA areas would take you. Problem is you would most likely have to go remote. Chances of getting a job on the east coast with those hours are nil to not very likely.

February to March isnt a bad time to head up. The wet is in full swing it is unlikely you will get a job straight away. However start banging on doors and making yourself known to the operators in the area you have chosen to target. Don't neglect operators located in other areas, but concentrate on the local ones.

Don't kid yourself, you will probably have to go remote for a while, minimum 6 months, with the possiblity of 2-3 years depending on the company and progression with it and the industry the time.

I'm not sure on the legal side of things with regards to you being a foreigner (visa's etc), but so long as you present yourself well with an enthusiastic attitude I don't believe that it would be a problem once you have converted to an CASA licence then you are in the same boat a everyone else. If you want to do scenics, maybe a second language would be an advantage. For charter, no sense of smell.

Edward_tci
23rd Sep 2009, 18:45
Thanks a lot for the help, and all my visa's are in place, so no problem there. It all sounds promising.

Does anyone know what kind of requirements operators on the east coast require, just as a benchmark to aim for. And what is the pay like in NT/WA? Is it enough to live on, or would I still be adding to my massive pile of debt?

Really appreciate the help guys

Edward

Krazy
21st Jan 2010, 00:27
Making the trek up north...

OK - so it looks like I'll be heading up north in a few weeks to try my luck up there. Not an easy decision to cut loose on a career that pays multiples of what I'll be earning flying GA, but I'm still quite excited. I do realise that many companies up there are still holding back the hiring and taking the 'wait and see' approach, but hey, as the ad for the NT says, "you'll never never know".

So, anyone think I'm a total idiot?

aseanaero
21st Jan 2010, 00:32
Use it or lose it !

Give it 12 to 18 months , if it doesn't work out you can always go back to your day job.

Good luck !

Krazy
21st Jan 2010, 04:51
...if it doesn't work out you can always go back to your day job.
Assuming I haven't burnt all my bridges! Thanks for the encouragement though :-)
Now need to decide whether I should drive, or sell my car and buy one up there.... not to mention the rest of the logistics of cleaning out a house!

Question for those who have 'been there done that' or 'currently doing it'. What is a typical salary/wage/casual rate for a brand new CPL working in a crappy little town in the outback? I realise it's peanuts, and I'm not expecting more - I'd just like to plan my finances from the start.

eocvictim
21st Jan 2010, 06:45
Drive your car, they're woth a fortune out there, a mate of mine sold a 98 magna for $6500, they're worth about $2500 max in melb :P

Not sure about wages sorry.

goldypilot
21st Jan 2010, 07:48
eocvictim is this magna blue??? and in darwin??

eocvictim
21st Jan 2010, 08:02
haha no it was silver close to Darwin but a bit further east. I'm sure it would be well known along with the good bloke who owns it :ok:

hardNfast
21st Jan 2010, 08:25
Question for those who have 'been there done that' or 'currently doing it'. What is a typical salary/wage/casual rate for a brand new CPL working in a crappy little town in the outback? I realise it's peanuts, and I'm not expecting more - I'd just like to plan my finances from the start.Peanuts is spot on! I was working casually getting anywhere between 100-400 a week. Was supplementing this working in a local pub which kept me afloat and often included a free dinner after work!:ok:

Moved up pretty quick and the longer with the company the more flights and $$ I got. After eighteen months was full time on about $40k.

tinpis
21st Jan 2010, 22:34
Only folks that would pay that for a Magna would be the Clearprop family
Plenty of good cars here

frangatang
22nd Jan 2010, 06:21
I wonder what became of my 1971 holden kingswood, bought for $750 with jesus loves you stickers on the back window and used on that first trek up to darwin in search of work(1981). If l recall , the gearstick broke in Alice so much time wasted getting that sorted. Got all the way north to be told to FO by a certain operator..and drove back to mel, to carry on cleaning factory shytehouses. Never gave up as an offer presented itself 6 weeks later in Dysart QLD on an aztec, so nothing changes!

archangel7
26th Jan 2010, 10:25
hey hardNfast what company where you at mate? took you 18 months to ove up? what year was this?

hardNfast
27th Jan 2010, 00:09
Was in the last decade up North. Some moved up faster than me, others slower. Dependant on how the industry was going at the time.

tinpis
27th Jan 2010, 06:06
I would say everybody who has tried their hand up north has managed to get what they deserved
A lot have got more than they deserved I'm sure :hmm::rolleyes:

NTremotepilot
27th Jan 2010, 08:09
Its a long trek but by far the best way to get a job and some decent experience. Be willing to work remote, its a great start and good hours, and usually free accom and vehicle, which is a blessing when you only make $300 a week! Present well and be persistant, then hang on for the ride...

tinpis
27th Jan 2010, 09:24
.... and watch out for persistent ants....:hmm:

hueyshuffle
6th Feb 2010, 06:29
Hey I'm heading up from Perth up to Broome with a few stops in between. Looking like this March, not the best timing but had to apply for leave etc from my current job and cheapest tickets etc.. got a couple of questions for you guys (some of whom seem to be in the know about Oz - i'm a kiwi...)

Is the time of the year going to make quite a big difference??

Does having 500 hours make a significant difference to employment chances as opposed to a 200/250 hr fresh cpl?

MEIR will have lapsed...will this make a big difference?

Does it help to chat with them and see if there's a possibility that they'll give me a call if something comes up later in the year? Does this even happen??

Thanks for your help in advance, I'm trying to make the most of the time I have there so any advice is appreciated.

If i've posted in the wrong forum let me know and i'll remove and repost...

The Green Goblin
6th Feb 2010, 07:10
(i'm a kiwi...)

We won't hold that against you too much :}

Is the time of the year going to make quite a big difference??

Don't get there much later than March.

Does having 500 hours make a significant difference to employment chances as opposed to a 200/250 hr fresh cpl?

Any experience is better than none. There is also a thing as too much experience. 700 hours may have you out of the running for Leos, but well placed for BAS or BAV.

MEIR will have lapsed...will this make a big difference?

If you're expecting a multi engine job then yes. If not, then no.

Does it help to chat with them and see if there's a possibility that they'll give me a call if something comes up later in the year? Does this even happen??

No chance, especially when there are guys still there from last season. Get to town, find a non aviation job or find a tree to climb like the rest of the green pilots waiting for a chance at a start and wait it out.

hueyshuffle
7th Feb 2010, 07:57
cheers guys. thanks for the advice

Boeing_captain
8th Feb 2010, 03:14
Paperbag,

It is hard work mate, especially when you see some of the lucky ones get the dream run (9 months to C441 for example) but unfortunately its all about timing up in the top end.

Like so many people have said before me, your best best is to pick a location and settle in there, work a servo job or whatever to make ends meet, and keep pestering the operators until they give you a job...even an ops job is better than nothing some times because you have a foot in the door and you KNOW when they will recruit next.

Having less than 400 hrs is hard but there are operators that will hire you depending on their need for pilots. My suggestions for low time pilots:

Darwin:
Air Frontier
Barrier (maybe)
Charter (even less likely)

Jabiru:
AAA Charter
Kakadu Air Charter (Services maybe?)

Oenpelli:
Gumbulunya

Katherine:
Katherine Aviation

Hooker Creek:
Lajimanu (not the correct spelling)

Hope that helps mate. Chin up, we've all been there before but when you come out the other side you'll be better off for it and you'll have great stories to tell!

:ok:

RWD5
15th Mar 2010, 02:10
thankyou to everyone who posted all this useful info, great for us noobs:ok:

onezeroonethree
16th Mar 2010, 09:22
Ok well if anybody cares I'm making my drive up north from Melbourne on Monday (21st)... bit late I know but better late than never

Will probably go up thru the alice, KNX and up to broome and then I think I'll check out as much of the west coast as I can. I dont think I'll sit around in KNX and Broome due to what I've heard... so HOPEFULLY theres something out there in other places

Will post once in a blue moon on here advising of my failures and eventual success (hopefully!)

:)

Blin
18th Aug 2010, 12:10
any luck so far fellas or stories to share?

tinpis
18th Aug 2010, 20:43
Most, if not all would be captains by know I would think :hmm:

onezeroonethree
19th Aug 2010, 10:37
any luck so far fellas or stories to share?

Came so so close (long story - cbf sharing).... so in short - negatory :{

Out of moneys and back in Melb. Doing ATPL theory and probably MECIR soon contemplating wtf to do next... most likely will head back up early next year if im still sane.

flyboy_nz
19th Aug 2010, 11:52
I am planning on heading North in Feb next year. Anyone else from Melbourne thinking about going around the same time, let me know.

norwester33
21st Aug 2010, 07:12
The Gobbler will give you a lift Flyboy.............:ooh:

flyboy_nz
21st Aug 2010, 09:13
Hahaha, you mean the Green Goblin? Mate, it would be a pretty funny ride up there with him mimicking the kiwi accent.

SPEEDI
3rd Nov 2010, 04:48
Too early for a bump??

anyone heading up for next years season and if so when r u looking at heading up?

dudduddud
16th Nov 2010, 13:00
When it comes to getting other jobs up there (particularly in Kununurra) how are the employers with aspiring pilots?

My main concern is not being able to find alternative work if, during the interview, I say I am trying to get a flying job and may only be in the job I am being interviewed for for a couple/few months.

Is it better to just lie and say 'I came here for the scenary'?

tmpffisch
16th Nov 2010, 14:13
In Kununurra, it's not too difficult. Popular places are Coles, Coles Express, Hertz, Gullivers, The Grande, BP, Country Club, or heaven forbid, TFS.

Don't ever lie. Unless it's to cover up poor spelling.

onezeroonethree
1st Dec 2010, 03:02
Can anyone here tell me how Kununurra turned out in 2010 for all the guys sitting there? Rumours towards the start of the year were that there was 30 guys there... and close to 90 in Broome.

I am wondering how it all went? Did most end up getting some hours or a job? Or are there still guys sitting there waiting for something who will be there in 2011?

Also I've heard that Alligator have raised their minimums to 400 or 450hrs TT after that engine failure incident they had. Can anyone confirm/deny and how this affects all the 200-300hr guys up there?

KNX seems to be the big town everybody talks about for low hour guys but I am wondering what else is worth checking out and bunking down in? Obviously when driving up you'd stop at all the airports on the way but from what I understand the camping happens in KNX. I have been told Darwin is a tough one and more for guys with a lot more hours?

Also what is Broome like? Can anyone confirm/deny the "90 pilots" sitting up there in 2010 and what happened with that? Also is the expectation in Broome to live in a hostel for 6+ months just like KNX or do guys eventually find themselves something a bit more suitable?

Any info would be appreciated. Feel free to PM me.
I am looking at heading up again in the earlier part of 2011 again after 2010 being a bit of a fail for me :ouch:

Thanks...

dabz
28th Feb 2011, 08:21
so shirts, shorts and shoes acceptable for an interview in the top end?

surely they wouldn't mind shorts? since the place looks so bloody hot!

AussieNick
1st Mar 2011, 22:50
i'd suggest a good shirt, tucked in with long pants a shoes. Just because its a bit hot isn't an excuse to dress down. Remember, if you do get that job, your going to be waiting a alot of aistrips that are a whole lot hotter than darwin in full pilot rig......

Make the effort it isn't going to do you any harm, just don't come dressed with your bars on for god sakes

goldypilot
2nd Mar 2011, 11:28
I did have a pilot rock up to the door once in a nice shirt and pants however did leave his bag open and I could see the McDonalds work shirt. When I asked him if he was working anywhere at the moment he said no then i said what about maccas or something you look familiar. He still said no. Good at lieing = no job HA HA

SgtBundy
2nd Mar 2011, 12:38
Maybe he had just quit hoping to get a new job? :}

dabz
2nd Mar 2011, 19:54
I did have a pilot rock up to the door once in a nice shirt and pants however did leave his bag open and I could see the McDonalds work shirt. When I asked him if he was working anywhere at the moment he said no then i said what about maccas or something you look familiar. He still said no. Good at lieing = no job HA HA

What if he did say he was working at maccas to survive while looking for that first pilot job?

This first job doesn't sound easy :/

D-J
2nd Mar 2011, 20:19
What if he did say he was working at maccas to survive while looking for that first pilot job?

I suggest he might have got his first job if he met the operators other requirements, or at the least the CP may have kept him in mind for future positions.

After all maccas can be a good first job for a young kid & certainly won't hurt to have maccas on the resume with a reference from the manager.....

RENURPP
2nd Mar 2011, 22:20
He didn't get the job due honesty?

Were you open and honest enough to discuss the situation?

I saw a McDonalds shirt in your bag and you just told me you don't work there, please explain!

Maybe its his girlfriends? Other friends? He stole it?

Quite frankly, if you didn't follow up and resolve the issue then you are no better than he is.

easycompany
2nd Mar 2011, 23:06
Just to get this straight, you didn't give a kid a look in because he didn't tell you that he was working at macca's? Maybe he was embarrassed? Maybe he use to work there, but just kept the shirt?

To be honest i think that that is pathetic on your part.

Flying Bear
3rd Mar 2011, 00:55
Might I suggest, in all seriousness, I would expect a hopeful presenting to me to be dressed well - either tailored trousers and business shirt (no tie in the Top End, though) or generic pilot uniform minus accoutrements (ie bars, wings, etc), which is my preferred.

This way, I get to see the following:

1. What the person will appear like on the job (visualisation - a very basic psychological effect when trying to influence someone), and
2. Whether the person is disciplined enough to make at least that effort for what amounts to an interview - because if they are not going to that small effort to get a job, what will they be like on a day-to-day-basis in the Company's grind??

A bit judgemental, I know, but first impressions do count.

I missed an early job for exactly this reason, but only found that out months later...

Re the Macca's lad - I'd be quite impressed that he has had the gumption to go out and try to support himself (especially in a supposedly "humble" job)whilst chasing his dream, rather than rely on parent's money or give up after two weeks when the cash has been used up. Hats off from me - maybe he should come speak to me.

Cessna 180
3rd Mar 2011, 03:36
Would have thought being employed was a good thing, lying on the other hand a bad thing.

If I was hiring someone, would prefer they were employed doing something, it shows a good work ethic, unless they had just turned up to town in the last few days.

Also if they said they can't start for two weeks because they want to give notice to their current employer, I would like that because it shows respect and courtesy and hopefully they would do the same when they were leaving our company.

goldypilot
3rd Mar 2011, 12:02
ahhhhh I did forget to mention he did not meet the insurance/company experience requirment. I am sure he had alot going for him however he would not have worked out for us at that time. Maybe for others. I do believe when i went the walk of shame years ago I was told (I would prob kill someone so piss off and leave me alone.) I believe I was alot nicer then that to everyone I see.

dabz
4th Mar 2011, 08:17
I for one have learnt a lot from this forum, thank you all for your input!

I'm travelling from Darwin through to Broome this month in seek of that first job and hope to make a good impression.

If that means wearing a pilot uniform then so be it.(except for the tie of course :ok:)

BlinkC182
8th Mar 2011, 11:27
I heard that a guy in Kunners is running regular tuition's on how to get that first job? Who to speak to, what to wear, going over aircraft checklists etc. Heard that he's pretty high up in one of the companies so knows what he is talking about. Anyone know where or how i can get in contact with him? Any bit of help works right?
Thanks. P.M is ok.

BoeingBoi
15th Sep 2011, 23:17
It honestly puzzles me why anyone would want to move to a remote town without the comforts of a capital city in order to fly a light piston aircraft below award wages..

Is it not generally agreed by the wider community that any intelligent being would enter the industry via one of the many cadetships on offer by the airlines.

The value in learning the craft in a complex ship seems invaluable?

Thoughts?

Di_Vosh
15th Sep 2011, 23:42
Thoughts?

I think you're a Troll.

DIVOSH!

SpyderPig
16th Sep 2011, 01:32
Well it was getting a little boring round here:E

Thats fine BB, stay in the city. Makes it easier for me to find work next year and get my career going in the direction I want (RFDS). Does this make me unintelligent?

With people like you out there Ill be making more driving piston twins in 2 years time than you are in your shiny orange jet getting the captain his morning coffee. But hey, you'll have a sweet uniform right?

Clown:ugh:

Fondair
16th Sep 2011, 01:40
So how is it up north at the moment anyway?

Many people still waiting around for that first gig? Any movement going on?

Cessna 180
16th Sep 2011, 13:11
It honestly puzzles me why anyone would want to move to a remote town without the comforts of a capital city in order to fly a light piston aircraft below award wages..

Is it not generally agreed by the wider community that any intelligent being would enter the industry via one of the many cadetships on offer by the airlines.

The value in learning the craft in a complex ship seems invaluable?

Thoughts?

Could someone please please please, inform me how an average Aus country town is any less "comfortable" than a capital city??

The "remote" areas boingboy and the like generally refer too are just normal country towns where people live, eat, run business's etc they same as in any other city/ regional centre around the world.

What is this hang up on this forum about Capital cities??

kalavo
16th Sep 2011, 23:43
Don't feed the troll

c173
15th Nov 2011, 05:27
how is this season looking? late november too early?

Ixixly
15th Nov 2011, 05:46
Never too Early C173, the earlier you are there the more people you beat to the punch!!

And it also depends on which location you're talking about in regards to which Season!! Oh and how many hours you have...you know, the usual :P

AerobaticArcher
15th Nov 2011, 10:15
C173,
As has been said many times before, if you are serious about making a go of the flying game, do some research, pick a town/community, move there and settle in.
Go and see the operators, regularly, but don't become a nuscience.
Best of luck.

P.S - Where ever you end up, have an open mind...

Kippers7
23rd Dec 2011, 21:56
Merry Christmas all.
After quite a few years of swinging a hammer I have achieved the goal.
Current numbers/endo's:
CPL
NVFR
DG/First Aid
Total Time = 218
Total Command = 85
C206 = 36
182RG = 38
Rest in 172-SP's
22 and single from the Gold Coast, I'm willing to go where the work is.
From my own research I have been looking at making the move over to the Derby Broome region late Jan early Feb.
Have herd a few whispers that there will some good movement in darwin as we get a bit closer to the end of the wet.
Whats the best way to go about seeking accommodation with the inflated rental rates in the top end?
Any advise would be much appreciated
Cheers
Kippers

SpyderPig
23rd Dec 2011, 23:51
In the same boat but with 180hrs and no tail wheel. Ill also have MECIR by the end of feb.
Where did you get your 200 time?

Kippers7
25th Dec 2011, 22:56
Hey SpyderPig
Did pretty much my entire CPL in the 206, up at Redcliffe Aero club.

displaced gangster
26th Dec 2011, 06:04
Hi Kippers

"After quite a few years of swinging a hammer I have achieved the goal."

I know there is a shortage of chippies in DRW, one option for you would be to jag a job in the building industry, whilst in pursuit of that first aviation job.

The vast majority of pilots that persist (don't give up after the inevitable knock backs) do succeed.

Regards
Displaced Gangster:ok:

Howard Hughes
26th Dec 2011, 06:47
From my own research I have been looking at making the move over to the Derby Broome region late Jan early Feb.
My advice would be go now, don't wait! The sooner you get there, the sooner you will get known.:ok:

PLWarrior
8th Jan 2012, 10:08
Hey mate, not sure about anywhere else for cheap places to stay, but in Kunners you can't go past the Kimberley Croc Backpackers. They have a weekly rate which I think is around $125 in the wet. I think the Kununurra Backpackers would probably have a good weekly rate too, but the walk to the pub is too far!

SpyderPig
8th Jan 2012, 10:35
but the walk to the pub is too far!

Now that is useful information!:ok:

propelled
8th Jan 2012, 10:40
well i think thats gotta be the most valuable info in this thread - especially regarding the walk from the pub! priceless and cheers!!
good luck for the upcoming dry season every1 else at there.. i know im ready for a start this season... if not, f**k it, will jus drink the piss..
lol

SpyderPig
8th Jan 2012, 11:02
How good of an idea is it to book at those places? I imagine they will fill up pretty quick!

Lasiorhinus
9th Jan 2012, 10:18
Then get there early!

tinpis
10th Jan 2012, 03:53
"After quite a few years of swinging a hammer I have achieved the goal."

I know there is a shortage of chippies in DRW, one option for you would be to jag a job in the building industry, whilst in pursuit of that first aviation job.

This guy worked on this property as a builders labourer
Whats it got to do with aviaton?
He just sold the Airport Hotels for $70 mill. :hmm:

Mansion tops sale prices | Real Estate and Property News | NT News | Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia | ntnews.com.au (http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/2011/04/23/227321_realestate.html)

cficare
10th Jan 2012, 09:43
hey Spyder

don't be tempted to use your IFR rating in 'Territory VMC'...could get ugly..

SpyderPig
10th Jan 2012, 10:40
Lucky I'm already ugly then lol.

I am under no illusions it may be a while before I get to use it anywhere, let alone in that stuff

dabz
14th Jan 2012, 07:17
Anyone know of the pub in kununurra that all the pilots drink at?

tinpis
14th Jan 2012, 10:29
No, but if you hum a few bars I'm sure we'll catch up http://www.katzy.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/band.gif

redsnail
14th Jan 2012, 12:19
When I was there back in '94 - '95 we drank at Gulliver's Tavern. Aka Tavern. :ok:

tinpis
15th Jan 2012, 00:20
While you are sitting on your collective arses waiting for a wonderful aviation career to unfold, why don't you put down a few tubs of home brew You will all be solidly on the piss in 5 weeks at THIRTY cents per stubby not $5-$10.
You could afford a stripper from Oombi :E

Josh Cox
15th Jan 2012, 00:24
Tinpis,

There has been a price correction since you were there last, two cans will get you a full fledged Oombi hooker.

PLWarrior
15th Jan 2012, 03:45
Oombi is shut down...a stripper from there would be a delicacy!
Places to drink: kununurra hotel on a wednesday night, Gullivers tavern on a friday night. Every other night wherever you can find the cheapest booze. Good luck!

dabz
16th Jan 2012, 22:12
anyone know which would be the best place to find accomodation in kunas?

Kununurra backpackers? Kimberly Croc backpackers? elsewhere?

The Green Goblin
16th Jan 2012, 22:48
I started off in a tent when I got there to save some money.

I then got a caravan at kona waters. Was $260 a week and you can share.

There is more comradery at the backpackers with all the crew, but after getting to work at 4am and leaving past 6pm most days the last thing you want to do is talk shop and dick wave with the Slingair boys.

I'd recommend getting on the waiting list for a van at kona now!

dabz
16th Jan 2012, 23:03
so both slingair and alligator dont supply pilot accomodation?

The Green Goblin
16th Jan 2012, 23:16
You can't have your cake and eat it too mate!

Alligator has two units above the freight hanger, a kitchen downstairs and a bathroom in the main hanger.

I crashed in there a couple of times when I was too pissed to walk home after a hanger party.

Sadly they don't happen anymore with the party police and drug and alcohol testing.

We used to get up to all sorts of mischief at night at the airport :ok:

dabz
16th Jan 2012, 23:27
That's gotta be tough on the pilots of both companies if there's no accomdation..

Cheers for the info Green Goblin!

Jex
23rd Jan 2012, 09:41
This site is getting a bit long in the tooth now but hopefully some might still find it useful if they are heading up north job hunting this season:

The Adventures of Robbo the Yobbo (http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/jex_207/north/)

cheers

Jex

The Green Goblin
23rd Jan 2012, 09:51
I wonder if Robbo crossed to the orange side yet :cool:

Jex
23rd Jan 2012, 21:35
Unfortunately Robbo lost his Class 1 medical two years ago and is currently re-training for a new career, but that is a discussion for another thread...

The Green Goblin
23rd Jan 2012, 23:16
That sucks, I'm sorry to hear!

Major bummer :(

delta_alpha_november
5th Jun 2012, 05:47
First time posting so please dont jump down my thoat. I was just wondering what accomodation is like in Broome for people looking for that exclusive first job.I have heard of a term called "Pilot Houses" - are these common throughout the town.

I am planning to make the move in October/November (i know it is at the end of the season but that will give me the oportunity to hopefully find full time empolyment in a non - aviation role to support myself and meet operators over the wet season).

I am well aware many people spend time in tents or at the local backpackers - and i'm quite willing to do it as well if i need to, however i'm planning to be in Broome longterm (even if i dont find something in the 2013 season i would have more chance of employment staying there than in Sydney) so i would be after permanent accomodation.

Feel free to pm me

archerlover
24th Jul 2012, 06:29
so how did everyone go that was going north this season ?

the_rookie
12th Sep 2012, 05:58
Must be close to the end of the "north" season. How did everyone go at getting the first job?

the_rookie
14th Sep 2012, 00:44
surely someone has something to share!!

Hasherucf
14th Sep 2012, 00:59
Little bit of info about Broome . BAS took on about 5 newbies at the start of the dry , King leos and BAV took on a few also . delta_alpha_november ,Pilot houses are common and I know one company does help with accommodation . Mostly its up to you to find a place to stay. It's easy to find spare rooms in the wet . You might need a second job to pay the rent . Which is easy to find , like taxi driving or night packing at Woolies. Good rewards for those not to proud to make it happen . Living in a tent is okay in the dry but not the wet .

As with everyone , If you are not in town actively searching and getting your name out there then it's a waste of time.

fiftyeight
26th Sep 2012, 09:30
Heading to Broome next season. Looking forward to the challenge. A few quick questions if anyone can help.

Hoping to get up there mid jan, is this early enough?

I have a 150h CPL and will have MECIR on a Baron. Will be flying family and friends around before I head up, is total hours more important than say paying extra and getting some 210 time or similar? I know I will need more hours than the 180ish ill finish my training with, what do people think is the minimum needed to have a real chance?

Dont really care what I do for a job before I find a flying job but I have a forklift ticket and shipping container ticket, much work up there in trucking yards and warehouses?

Also after reading many threads, a lot of people suggest just getting to know other pilots and "hanging" around the airport. Im assuming there is not just a bunch of wannabe pilots sitting at the airport. How do I meet these people who I need to get to know? say my first day up there what do I do? (long general question, but I have zero contacts and zero idea where to start)

Sorry for the essay but hope I can find some answers out there

Cheers

deadcut
26th Sep 2012, 10:57
FIFTYEIGHT

Check your PMs.

D

Flyin
27th Sep 2012, 09:13
Heard both King Leo and Kimberley Aviation took on some pilots recently, guess it depends on demand and if the current pilots move on.

I say first day you get to town, call up and see if you can pop in to chat to the CP. If they're busy, drop of your resume and try again. In terms of meeting the pilots, head over to the Divers or go to the titty comp (not sure if the ban has been lifted).

In terms of 200 series time, the C206 is just a bigger and heavier C182, my opinion anyway. Some of the operators there operate a C172/PA28 so I'd assume it's not a requirement to have some 200 time as some would start there or to build hours for insurance purposes for the 200s.

Got a mate there at the moment and he says there were/are guys that have been waiting for a year or so but plenty of non-flying jobs when the season kicks off. I believe Toll is operating at the port with shipping containers, try them.

AerobaticArcher
27th Sep 2012, 09:33
Minimum hours you need will be around 200, however I have seen a few people employed with less than that, and they did ICUS in the C210s until they got to 200hrs. Most operators have a minimum 200hrs total time for 200 series aircraft due insurance.

Cessna 200 series time is not important. Go and get a C210 handbook and study the limitations and systems, so you know the numbers come time for a check flight.

Most operators hire in early Feb, so they have a full compliment of pilots for the start of the dry. But there will always be positions that open up.

As for meeting pilots, if you work behind a bar, they won't be too hard to find.

If you need a place to stay, check out the notice boards around town (Broome), always a few rooms being advertised.

mcgrath50
27th Sep 2012, 09:51
Most operators hire in early Feb

I'd heard (or read here I think) March/April was the bigger time for hiring? I was aiming for the start of March but is this too late?

Flyin
28th Sep 2012, 08:53
Best bet is to get in early, as mentioned, Leos, BAV and BAS hired early this year. Having said that some were picked up around March. They tend to hire in Jan/Feb to train pilots up to standard or build hours for insurance before they are let loose to fly tourist once the season starts, say April.

NzCaptainAndrew
28th Sep 2012, 22:58
Wow kippers, that's very impressive for someone around the 200 hour mark very impressive. Very employable. :ok::ok::ok:

Astro37
29th Sep 2012, 05:13
Very little jobs for fresh pilot in Darwin itself, but still lots of low hour pilot 'hanging around', (some might be lucky).

Try the smaller communities, like in jabiru, oenpelli, maningrida, elcho island, groote eylandt they all have at least one company based there. You might be able to save money there too compared to the cost of living in Darwin.

fiftyeight
2nd Oct 2012, 05:10
Thanks for the advice everyone. Looking forward to heading up there ASAP

Hot High Heavy
2nd Oct 2012, 06:17
The idea of heading up for 'the season' is somewhat of a misnomer in my experience and is prob more pertinent to the scenic operators. I can only comment on Darwin and the north of the NT but generally the operators are flat out in the wet as roads start to close and govt workers, tradies and locals all still need to get around.

There is obviously a risk to put newbies on during the wet due to the conditions but as companies progress guys onto twins they get desperate for single drivers and so the right candidate with the right ICUS etc should be alright.

Darwin has two or three operators that will take low time guys (Territory Air Services, Air Frontier, Barrier, Top End Tandems and possibly AV8). As mentioned earlier there are also operators they service the remote East Arnhem areas that will take low time guys too (Katherine Av, MAF - if you are a churchie, Air Frontier, Gunbalanya, AAA Charter, Bawawinga and possibly ChartAir).

Good luck, its definately achievble with patience and is def worth it once you land that first gig.

Lasiorhinus
2nd Oct 2012, 09:57
Speaking of AV8, does anyone know what's the go up there? Apparently they've lost a few AOCs recently.

hongkongfooey
2nd Oct 2012, 11:11
Wot about Kakadu Air in Jabiru ? They used to take 150-200 hour guys, what, are they after 5000 jet now ? ;)

deadcut
2nd Oct 2012, 15:21
I called Kakadu Air a couple of months ago. 400TT

fiftyeight
8th Oct 2012, 14:05
400TT for Kakadu Air in Jabiru. I hope this is not an indication of the hours required next season

Ixixly
8th Oct 2012, 14:47
They've been 400TT for a little while fiftyeight, don't let that put you off too much, its just because of the Airvans Insurance, they used to take lower when they had the 207s though. Still plenty around who will take lower than 400TT.

Cessna 180
8th Oct 2012, 20:41
Re Kakair.
Get a forklift and lr licence, find a cute girl with whom you can share a house and she can work in the shop and you will start with a lot less than 400.

TOUCH-AND-GO
8th Oct 2012, 22:46
So I will be booking my ticket for the flight up north this weekend, for those of you who have made the trip, would you prefer flying to Alice and then drive up to Darwin and around or prefer to start from Darwin and head down. If anyone has any information or might have a car which they could sell (rather a 4x4) please PM me.! If anyone else is keen on making the trip up north towards mid-end of December, I'd be more than happy to have someone come along and share the experience with! :ok:

T&G.

SpyderPig
8th Oct 2012, 23:22
I think you would probably be better off starting in Alice that is where the least amount of company's is on your intended route. From Darwin you can get to kunnas and jab in less then day if need be and Alice is a long way to drive from Darwin if you don't land anything when you get there and end having to come back up.

Ixixly
9th Oct 2012, 02:31
TOUCH-AND-GO My suggestion, don't take another Pilot, you'll both be going for the same jobs and things could get awkward...get some backpackers instead to help share costs and have a giggle with!! Gumtree.com.au is your friend in that regard!!

TOUCH-AND-GO
11th Oct 2012, 10:55
Thank you both gentleman for your inputs, highly appreciative.

Yes, I suppose it would be better off to start from Alice. It's closer to the Lake Eyre operators as well if I decide to head down south.

Planning too make Alice Springs the Central base location, if I don't land that first gig within a period. I'll resign in Alice and hopefully find a job in warehousing or something around the airport; ect. Baggage handling and just hang in their till something comes around.

Ixixly, thought it would be much better off to share the experience with whom I can relate to, one which shares the same passion and prospective of aviation!
But I see your point, it is a competitive industry and I do not doubt that their will be plenty of pilots looking for work.

Thank you once again and enjoy the weekend!

T&G. :ok:

SpyderPig
11th Oct 2012, 11:48
The lake operations are starting to wind down and pilots from there will be looking for work elsewhere soon. That area is a bit like the WA scenic ops.

Agreed about driving with another pilot though, it's very competitive out here but if you already know the person and get along well I can't it being to big of an issue.

Best advice is get out here and have a good time and enjoy the ride:cool:

CazbahKid
22nd Nov 2012, 11:05
Would you say Broome is the best bet for a low timer?

seneca208
22nd Nov 2012, 18:03
Brooms definitely seems to be the bet for the moment. All broome operators will hire with 250hrs. I had been everywhere else in the NT with no luck but some friends did well there.

CazbahKid
23rd Nov 2012, 00:10
Cheers mate, looking at making the move early next year!

NIK320
24th Nov 2012, 05:52
I’m mid adventure at the moment and finding work in the NT is plausible.
I get the feeling there may be a few opportunities out here in the next few months. Hopefully before I run out of money :}

BreakNeckSpeed
1st Dec 2012, 05:10
Word is that Direct Air is in strife and that Hardys have had a change of policy to operate Metros and Conquests VFR. :confused:

A few months ago I was told I needed an instrument rating to fly at Hardys. Has this changed? What does it mean for those seeking work in the top end?

tweekey
1st Dec 2012, 05:27
That's a very subtle dig your having there

pilotchute
1st Dec 2012, 05:43
As all drivers at Hardy's fly the Metro after a few months you would definitely need your instrument rating.

BreakNeckSpeed
1st Dec 2012, 19:48
As all drivers at Hardy's fly the Metro after a few months you would definitely need your instrument rating.

I understood that to be the intent, ATPL subjects required too, so why the VFR metros? Kinda defeats the purpose doesn't it? :confused:

ZappBrannigan
1st Dec 2012, 22:55
You have 50% of the facts.

Won't go into the reasons, but yes, Hardy's are no IFR, no RPT for the time being, but no this wasn't their choice. Should only be a short term thing.

seneca208
1st Dec 2012, 23:49
Could be something to do with the recent job ads looking for a Training and Check pilot.

BreakNeckSpeed
2nd Dec 2012, 00:49
From CASA website:

Northern Territory air operator Hardy Aviation is currently restricted from conducting regular public transport and instrument flight rules operations.

This is because the chief pilot of Hardy Aviation has not met required standards during a routine flying competency check.

At this point Hardy Aviation does not have an approved replacement chief pilot.

CASA continues to look at the relevant safety issues.

Now I understand...

I assume they will sort it all out in the short term.

fiftyeight
4th Dec 2012, 04:00
What happened to station jobs being for low hour pilots?

There is a station pilot position on afap asking for 1000 PIC, I hope that was a typo and they meant 100 PIC

seneca208
4th Dec 2012, 04:26
Considering its a role flying a Beech Baron, I'd say 1000 sounds about right.

deadcut
16th Dec 2012, 10:40
Can anyone explain to me what a casual pilot flying a C210 should be paid? I can't interpret the award and can't really find anything that shows casual award rates.
Including allowances etc

Thanks

Lasiorhinus
16th Dec 2012, 12:13
Honestly, the award is not that hard to interpret.

Find the weight of your aircraft, find the weight category in the table that corresponds. That's your minimum base salary.
Add allowances for IFR, Instructor, various other things.

That's the legal minimum than an operator can pay you and avoid being sued for underpayment.

(This does not, however, mean it is the going rate, or indeed an appropriate rate - but it is the legal minimum.)

deadcut
16th Dec 2012, 12:46
So a casual pilot should be getting paid 1.25 more than the full time wage?

Tinstaafl
16th Dec 2012, 19:31
Casual gets a loading above full time to compensate for the lack of annual leave. It's also to discourage employers from only employing casual labour even though there's enough work for full time employment.

baron_beeza
18th Dec 2012, 09:07
A few things happening during the wet.
I may have a room available in a Larrakeyah townhouse. If you have the money then both the Casino and Mitchell St pubs are easy walks. Otherwise it is just a 12 minute drive out to the airport.

The room would be ideal for a female as the flat currently has Asian females there. A bloke or two could probably be accommodated ok though.
Better than a backpackers or the rearseat of the Falcon.
PM me if you are looking for somewhere.
Cheers.

fiftyeight
20th Dec 2012, 12:01
Anyone have any experience with Top End Tandems?

Minimums, a/c, pay (yes I know not much) etc?

AussieNick
20th Dec 2012, 23:06
TopEnd Tandems.

1 a/c C182, don't know about mins and from what I remember they fly mostly weekends, a few jumps during the week. you'd be doing maybe 5 hours a week.

IIRC their current pilots are also tandem instructors so they don't take a pay for the flying.

The_Option
5th Jan 2013, 11:24
I know its early but is anyone thinking of moving north and trying their luck for the next dry season? A guy i know recently moved up to Boome and im contemplating following him up but im unsure as to the current situation (oportunities, number of people waiting for jobs). I am aware a number of companies employed some pilots towards the end of last season and this will obviously impact the number of people that get employed this season. Just looking at my options and dont want to move up and be forced to wait over a year when other oportunities might pop up elsewhere.

The_Option

Jay Bo
7th Jan 2013, 01:27
I'll be heading to Broome end of march.
Looking for a room to rent from the 25th onwards
Cheers.

fiftyeight
7th Jan 2013, 09:41
Jay and Option

What are you guys heading up with, hours, endos etc?

Jay Bo
7th Jan 2013, 10:14
Heading up with MECIR, NVFR and tail wheel. 270 hrs

Howard Hughes
7th Jan 2013, 10:17
You can never be 'too early' for the dry season! :ok:

the_rookie
8th Jan 2013, 01:24
keep us updated with how you go guys. good luck!

fiftyeight
8th Jan 2013, 05:55
Cheers Jaybo

Nice to get an idea of where I am before making the trek

Good luck and have fun

The_Option
8th Jan 2013, 07:31
Have about 240ish TT with MECIR and about 10 hours 206 time

TopGunTrev
8th Jan 2013, 10:08
Can anyone recommend good web sites for flying jobs up north?

TopGunTrev
8th Jan 2013, 12:13
@Thrillho thanks for the tip. I was tossing up between Darwin and Cairns but guess Darwin is the better option.

wicks747
10th Jan 2013, 07:51
Hi guys just wondering as a kiwi showing up in these areas with around 220 hrs TT and a single pilot multi IFR rating all converted of coarse what sorta chance I would stand of picking up a job?

wicks747
10th Jan 2013, 07:52
Just to add not expecting a twin job just anything

BleedingAir
10th Jan 2013, 10:41
In case there's a bit of confusion guys, you'll have to be really lucky, or of course know somebody on the "inside", to score a job in Darwin itself, with a fresh CPL (i.e. < 300 TT). I suppose it's a possibility if you demonstrated or possessed a specific skill they were looking for in addition to ticking all the flying boxes.

With Barrier suspended and Directair gone, there will be a few experienced guys/girls potentially looking for work as well, if they haven't found it already.

If you can get a gig in Cairns with low time, take it. If you head to the NT, be prepared to go some level of remote (if you're lucky, Katherine/Jabiru, if you're less lucky, Ngukurr... But I'd still jump at that for my first job).

Just try and keep a smile on your face, because your GA years will most likely be the most challenging and varied flying work you'll do. Persevere!

The Green Goblin
10th Jan 2013, 22:01
I would also say to the younger folk keep your integrity!

With the CASA on the warpath and the usual operational challenges in the topend, you don't want to be the scapegoat for 'operational flexibility'.

Make sure you have your paperwork for every flight including some performance figures! (I used to keep generic worst case scenario figures). I.e 40 degrees, 2000 feet pressure height, tail wind etc and have a copy of the chart with me at all times with a figure for take off and landing. I'd also memorize it for each type I flew.

Stay safe out there folks!

delta_alpha_november
3rd Feb 2013, 05:46
Not sure if this constitutes advertising but i am looking at organizing a share house in Broome. At this stage there will be two rooms available not sure on rent but will be low $200's + bills looking at moving into the place hopefully over the next month. PM me for details
Cheers

im a real pirate
3rd Feb 2013, 06:51
Its nice to read up on everyone attempting their journey up this way for "The Dry" and that elusive first job!

Almost a year ago.. i headed up this way with not much idea and a bare bones commercial. Its been an amazing time and a 'flexible' plan!! Now im about to kick off a second season with still not much idea, but loving the friends, flying and frolicking! ;)

Good luck to all job hunters, just remember to enjoy the whole experience!! Including working crappy second jobs, having no money and living at a backpackers!! :D

deadcut
3rd Feb 2013, 17:02
Do yourself a favor and don't flat with pilots.

Lasiorhinus
4th Feb 2013, 10:36
"flatting" certainly implies you're kiwi...

Do share a house with other pilots.

Why?

Networking. When your housemates are flying and you're still looking, they're going to be the best source of information for who's looking for new staff even before the operators know. Pilots mention to each other when they're about to resign and move on, and that information can lead to you walking in the door with a resume ten minutes after the CP finds out they need a new pilot.
Also, your housemates are likely to recommend you to their own CPs.

deadcut
4th Feb 2013, 12:05
Yea that's fair enough. I was just replying to DAN who is trying to get a statehouse started with pilots new to Broome.

Imagine 3 blokes/gals who are living together and going for the same job.

Getting a share house with already working pilots is a good ideas

Also what's wrong with being kiwi :(

BleedingAir
4th Feb 2013, 22:52
Agree with Lasiorhinus above.

Guys/girls, if you don't know it already, then take note - like no other industry I've seen, for good or bad, you'll get a reputation. This need not be a negative, but it'll happen.

What reputation you carry with others, whether on the job or at a bar, will largely determine your career path through the "lower" levels of the industry. Networking, and getting/maintaining a good name for yourself over and above being a technically proficient pilot, are very important.

Lost count of how many times I've heard a senior pilot at Company X say "that f---wit's never getting within a kilometre of this place.", even though said f---wit may be more than qualified, with a glowing CV. Love it or hate it, it's the way it works.

anthos92
14th Feb 2013, 10:58
Any of you guys that are looking to go north got P68 experience?
Heard of rumor today of a possible opening for a low time CPL P68 driver. Prefer experience on type.

seneca208
14th Feb 2013, 11:19
Any of you guys that are looking to go north got P68 experience?
Heard of rumor today of a possible opening for a low time CPL P68 driver. Prefer experience on type.

Sent you a PM mate.

fiftyeight
18th Feb 2013, 16:42
Does anyone know of any ground handling job in Darwin?

seneca208
18th Feb 2013, 18:50
Does anyone know of any ground handling job in Darwin?

AV8 sometimes take low hr guys on ground handling jobs while giving them ICUS on the 210/206 to get them up to scratch.

Cirronimbus
19th Feb 2013, 01:17
Aero-Care sometimes recruit for ground handlers/bag chuckers. Vincent may also have something and if you're really desperate (or mad) you could try Pearl. Good luck.

fiftyeight
19th Feb 2013, 09:13
Dont like my chances at AV8, apparently their low hour pilots/bag throwers come from a flying school in Melbourne they are partnered with. (wish I did my training there). Will hit them up anyway.

Whats the deal with Peal? Dont think I have heard a positive thing about them?

pilotchute
19th Feb 2013, 09:35
None of AV8's bag chuckers come from MFT. Sure your not getting mixed up with the flying instructors?

The Green Goblin
19th Feb 2013, 09:39
Bad things about Pearl?

Well if their new EBA gets through they will be the best paid, lowest workload turboprop drivers in Australia.

95k 1st year Metro Captain.

18k area allowance.

50k training allowance.

That's some serious coin to drive a Metro a couple of days a week to truscott.

It's not a bad place to be.

fiftyeight
19th Feb 2013, 09:44
Not sure, but I spoke to somebody at AV8 a couple of weeks ago. He just said Id struggle to get any work there flying or other as they have most of it covered from MFT.

Maybe I miss heard?

fiftyeight
19th Feb 2013, 09:50
Haha I cant even imagine a pay like that while I am stuck on 150 hours GG

Cirronimbus
19th Feb 2013, 09:52
If you're not in Darwin, you won't get any sort of work at AV8 (or anywhere else) regardless of whether you're looking for bag chucking or instructing or anything in between.

If you haven't heard any positives about Pearl then there is probably a good reason for that. Think about it.....

Might be some good coin for those already there but if things don't pick up soon, then the coin won't be there for much longer for anyone. Look elsewhere if you want hours, coin or anything else. Good luck.

fiftyeight
19th Feb 2013, 10:31
Yeah I have taken everyone's advise on board and moved my gf and dog to Darwin in January. Back in Perth for a few weeks as my old boss made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

Ill be back on Friday so I will be able to go down personally. I might even get to speak to someone other than a receptionist this time haha

Jay Bo
24th Feb 2013, 08:43
If you have a MECIR that is not current is it best to get current before heading north looking for your first job?
From what I've read it could take a few months to land a job and the job would be single VFR while learning and building up experience so it wouldn't take too long before you are out of currency again.
Maybe best to save the money for the renewal.
Cheers

Hasselhof
25th Feb 2013, 14:14
If you have a MECIR that is not current is it best to get current before heading north looking for your first job?

What do you mean? Has it expired? If so has it expired by more than 12 months? Or is it valid but you don't meet the recent experience requirements of the CAO?

If it is either of the first two, I'd say yes. If it is the second, hell no.

Hasselhof
27th Feb 2013, 09:54
I just saw that Marthakal Yolgnu Airline in Elcho is advertising on AFAP. I thought it had shut down, but am obviously wrong. Does anyone know who's running the show these days and if MAF are still involved?

deadcut
22nd Mar 2013, 16:58
So its been a few month now and the dry season is near. Anyone had any luck? Share a few stories?

Been in town for about 4 months now and still waiting. "Maybe hiring next month" is what most chief pilots are saying. Bet the town is flooded with pilots now. :hmm:

Jay Bo
24th Mar 2013, 03:35
Speaking to one of the airport shuttle drivers in broome the other day she took a pilot around to see the companies and they said to him, that you have to be living in Broome to get a start here.
So I guess the hiring isn't in full swing at the moment.
Spoke to another employed pilot and he reckons they're going to have a very busy dry season

The Green Goblin
24th Mar 2013, 03:59
So I wonder who the next Casa target is?

They have cleaned out FNQ, they have run through Darwin and Kununurra.

If I were a Broome operator I'd be worried. If I were a Broome Pilot I'd be keeping my nose clean this season.

So the bottle is spinning, where will it stop!

deadcut
7th May 2013, 11:49
Just wanted to say that this is THE most informative thread for any new pilot looking for a job in the top end. I have referred at least 3 mates here.

Who knows where I would have ended up if I didn't get all the info here.

Jay Bo
7th May 2013, 12:12
Have you got a flying gig yet Deadcut?

deadcut
7th May 2013, 12:18
Jay Bo,

Yup, been going at it for a couple of months.

seconds
7th May 2013, 13:53
Checked out Flying Oz? Pretty good resource

FlyingOz (http://flyingoz.com.au/)

7272four
11th May 2013, 10:15
Hey Guys,

Hoping for some advice. I will be finishing a bare bones 150hr CPL in the next couple of months. Seems to me that the best time to head north is around January so that operators know you are around when they start hiring (I know this is no guarantee). Should I use the rest of the year getting an MECIR and head up beginning of next year, or head up north as soon as I have finished my CPL?

Thanks in Advance.

Mish A
11th May 2013, 11:57
Its been mentioned before, but a consideration would be that anywhere you go you maybe doing ICUS until you reach 250 hrs which seems to be a minimum for commercial insurance. Anything that you can do to get yourself closer to that figure assists your job hunting prospects.

I'd be interested to hear from people of what hour level they commenced their first commercial job up north, excluding skydiving and joy flights.

deadcut
11th May 2013, 14:00
I know of at least 3 guys who got a job with an operator in broome with 150 TT over a few years. They start you off on a warrior or a 172 until you get to 200 then you fly the 206..

JustOnePilot
12th May 2013, 00:13
Has anyone got a job there with working holiday visa after conversion of licence etc? I am from Europe but planning to move to Australia. Just wondering what my chances would be..

AerobaticArcher
12th May 2013, 05:42
200 Hrs TT is normally an insurance requirement.

If you can afford to get a CIR before making the trek, go for it. As Slam Click stated, it will help you get to 200 Hrs, you will be ready if an twin IFR spot becomes available and it may just save your a** if you find yourself in a spot of bother.

Jagdfalke
15th May 2013, 13:48
Expat Kiwi here, currently living in Perth. I've been through Jandakot and the local area handing out CV's and making myself known, but I haven't had much luck so far. I'm considering heading north to try my luck there.

700 hours TT
MECIR (not current)
30 hours twin (P68 / PA34)
CAA NZ C-Cat (not transferred under the TTMRA as it had lapsed)

I've taken plenty of notes from this thread, and a few others, but still, can anyone suggest anywhere/one looking for a pilot with my experience?

Hot tips? PM's?

Anything appreciated.

solowflyer
15th May 2013, 20:31
China southern if u want to instruct. Next stop geraldton few operators up here to see, shines come to mind.

Jay Bo
26th May 2013, 02:36
Just like to find out for those that are there in Kununurra what the situation is like on the ground at the moment re jobs and pilots looking for work in town.

mcgrath50
3rd Nov 2013, 05:36
How'd all the new guys go in the dry this year? Operators employ many? Starting to get nervous for mid Feb when I make the trek myself

Get up there, make yourself known, be polite, work hard, enjoy the journey. You'll be fine.

the_rookie
3rd Nov 2013, 10:29
Cheers mate. Don't get me wrong I can't wait, but you do get nervous when your getting close to something you've been dreaming about for so long!

Chocks Away
3rd Nov 2013, 10:51
Hey Jagd, all your AirBro'town regionals are employing back in EnZed, why not slip an online CV in there with your time?

Jay Bo
4th Nov 2013, 04:06
February might be too late....

Results may vary
21st Jan 2014, 07:27
Hey guys, any updates for the dry season up top this year?

Flyboy1987
22nd Jan 2014, 04:09
Just completed my CPL and MECIR last week and plan on packing the car and heading north within the next couple of weeks....safe to say i'm both excited and extremely nervous about where I'm going to end up over the next few months, I also have a trade so hopefully I can find some form of income if things are slow:sad::sad:

500N
23rd Jan 2014, 02:40
Cooper Pedy as said above.

But worth carrying a 20 litre fuel can anyway for emergencies.

kalavo
23rd Jan 2014, 02:54
Hey guys, anyone got any tips on the route from Melbourne to Broome. Leaving on the 28th of Feb and want to get there as quickly as possible (pending rd conditions). My planned route through port augusta to alice springs is over 1200km through the desert and from looking at google maps there will be no place to refuel. In a bit of a situation!

You'd lose the charter with that sort of research ;)

Pimba/Woomera (Spud's Roadhouse 08 8673 7473)
Glendambo (08 8672 1092)
Coober Pedy (08 8672 5830)
Cadney Park (08 7007 6591)
Marla (08 8670 7001)
Kulgera (08 8956 0973)
Erldunda (08 8956 0984)
Stuart Well (08 8956 0808)

http://goo.gl/maps/GcGs1

Suggest you plan 1000km's a day and skip the Tanami Highway and instead go via Katherine as the road is sealed, with more fuel stops and more charter operators to hand a resume ;) Roads are generally better once you get out of Victoria, and you should really only need to check they're not flooded before heading off.

Something like Melbourne, Port Augusta, Kulgera, Three Ways Roadhouse, (turn left at Katherine), Kununurra, Broome. http://goo.gl/maps/vXViX

Avoid sunrise/sunset, do not drive at night. Make sure your first reaction is to brake not steer to avoid if you see something on the road.

500N
23rd Jan 2014, 04:02
Good luck and pray you don't get a late wet dump in Feb !

the_rookie
23rd Jan 2014, 04:05
Thanks! And so do I haha

AussieNick
23rd Jan 2014, 04:47
Make sure you hit up everyone on the way through, don't get settled on having to reach Broome, there are a lot of operators on your route worth checking in with.

Hell, right out of training, anyone willing to give you a start is worth it.

Remember its hard, at times you will question why your doing this, but stick it out. Your time 'remote' will be some of the best flying memories you'll have

Good luck, have fun and enjoy yourself.

TOUCH-AND-GO
23rd Jan 2014, 04:50
Wish you all the best Rookie! Have fun and enjoy.

Might bump into you whilst you're on the way up here.

Good Luck :ok:

T&G.

Pharcarnell
24th Jan 2014, 00:14
I second the sentiment about the Tanami. Anyway it's closed. DO NOT try and challenge Ma nature with water courses, this time of year she will always win.
Check the weather pages, BoM site is doing well. There is a low remnant out in the Tanami at the moment and a monsoonal trough leading north-east from it dumping all over that part of the world. If it looks too wet, it IS. Stop!

Lots of luck. at least it's cool(ish) with the rain.

Results may vary
3rd Feb 2014, 09:46
Hey guys,

Can anyone please tell me the charter company up in or near the top of WA somewhere that's run by some kiwis? Think they may have floats too but not sure.... Cheers