PDA

View Full Version : Information regarding the Top End

Pages : 1 [2]

Radix
5th Apr 2014, 22:13

bonzaii
6th Apr 2014, 12:42
Hi Guys,

Im a Kiwi heading up north ideally in the next few weeks (410TT, IR, Instructor, Tail exp etc)
how late is too late? is there still slim chances heading up north and making myself known might pay off? or does hiring come to a dead halt...

at the moment I'd be happy with anything, already tried vast majority of NZ companies, they all want over 500

mcgrath50
7th Apr 2014, 01:23
Pick a town, get a place to live and a retail/hospitality job. Hiring will have slowed by now and companies will often tell you "We have done our hiring for the year" but if/when people leave, those spots will need to be filled and the guys living in town, settled into the lifestyle and popping in once a fortnight will be the ones who get the call.

ozziejim
7th Apr 2014, 01:31
which town do you pick, Alice, Broome, Kununnurra, Katherine, Darwin, Jabiru? any of them a waste of time for a first job hunter?

bonzaii
7th Apr 2014, 01:36
mcgrath50 (http://www.pprune.org/members/169660-mcgrath50) - thanks for that, I think ill go around a few, test the water and pick one :D

deadcut
7th Apr 2014, 02:09
ozziejim,

I would say Darwin would be a waste of time for a first job hunter unless you have some serious connections.

mikewil
7th Apr 2014, 02:11
I would say Darwin would be a waste of time for a first job hunter unless you have some serious connections.

I don't think Alice Springs is much of a chance for newbies either is it?

Not many operators out there and the one or two that exist look for over 500 hours.

deadcut
7th Apr 2014, 07:31
Doesn't chart air from Alice Springs recruit for their outstations? Sure you might not get a job in Alice but they will send you on your way to one of their remote bases.

mikewil
7th Apr 2014, 10:14
Thought their other bases were Katherine and Darwin. Not sure they have any more remote than Katherine. Maybe Jabiru?

seneca208
7th Apr 2014, 10:50
In addition Katherine, Darwin and Alice Springs, I think Chartair have bases in Ngukurr, Hooker Creek, Warburton and Borroloola. The Chief Pilot is a friendly guy, he generally will have a chat with you if you stop by at his preferred (late afternoon from memory). Worth a try.

deadcut
7th Apr 2014, 12:12
Been to Hooker Creek a couple of weeks ago and saw the Chart Air base. Nice office and tidy looking 210.

They even have a little tug to push and pull the plane around! Fancy :ok: Looks like a good outfit.

Flying Bear
7th Apr 2014, 20:23
Although they used to have several remote bases, Chartair have closed down their Tennant Creek, Warburton and most recently, Borroloola bases. Probably can't compete with the other operators like KA, Territory Air Services, etc on price.

Only remote base now is Hooker Creek - which is most likely operated on behalf of Lajamanu Air, which is a community owned enterprise, but definitely a Chartair pilot there now operating the C210.

Still have their Katherine base, as well as Alice Springs and Darwin.

CP wouldn't be described by many as "friendly", but does seem to make the effort to speak to pilots if they can catch him in the afternoon - spends time in both Alice Springs and Darwin. They have given heaps of newbies a start straight out of flying school and seem focused on training their pilots to fly the way they want. All pilots full time, and if not flying are expected to work hard at washing aircraft, etc.

batty11
15th Sep 2014, 05:31
Remember to highlight your non flying skills too, in a lot of the remote areas you will be visiting, having a trade or some skill useful to employers when you are on the ground appears to be a great way to jump to the front of the queue!

Jabiru220
18th Oct 2014, 08:19
Recently Saw a post on AFAP for Marthakal Yolongu air. Does anyone know anything about them?

ResumeOwnNav
27th Oct 2014, 08:04
Recently Saw a post on AFAP for Marthakal Yolongu air. Does anyone know anything about them?

Elcho Island. YELD.

C206? (Used to)

They used to have a tie up with Chartair or something years ago?

Track5milefinal
5th Sep 2016, 06:34
Pm sent mate

WannaBeBiggles
5th Sep 2016, 07:33
Darwin does not have a "season" like Kunners. Nothing stopping you from migrating now ;)

There is already movement, not huge numbers but it is happening, quite a few people on active hold with QLink, others in the twin ranks with apps in and a good number of turboprop drivers with apps in at various places as well.

There are still a number of "freshers" around, but as the saying goes "Chance favours the prepared" :ok:

Track5milefinal
6th Sep 2016, 00:28
Darwin does not have a "season" like Kunners. Nothing stopping you from migrating now

But would you suggest a fresh CPL with 250hrs and a MECIR to head to Darwin? I'd say Darwin would be more of a mecca with guys around the 500-1000TT mark.

Band a Lot
6th Sep 2016, 01:48
If you get a shared place in Darwin and a casual job (prefon penalty rates) you can have a bit of a life.
Jabiru 257 km
Oenpelli 302 km
Katherine 317 km
Batchelor 97 km
Kununurra 820 km
Regular visits to put the face up at these places wouldhelp.

WannaBeBiggles
6th Sep 2016, 18:39
But would you suggest a fresh CPL with 250hrs and a MECIR to head to Darwin? I'd say Darwin would be more of a mecca with guys around the 500-1000TT mark.

Plenty of freshers have started their career in Darwin, some just had to do some time at an operators remote base.

pilotchute
7th Sep 2016, 02:43
I noticed when I lived in Darwin (not flying related) the job hunters all had the same story. If they had 250 hours they got told they needed 500. If they had 500 they got told they needed 750 etc.
After having spoken to many pilots there already I came to the conclusion most already knew somebody and had been recommended. Very few got a job by just turning up and hanging around. Broome and Kununura were more the places to start with very low hours.

BleedingAir
7th Sep 2016, 03:38
Around the time I was there, hardly anybody had actually started their first job in Darwin itself. It was generally the place for pilots who were approaching 1000TT and were deemed promotable onto twins, by whatever standards the operator decided. Was always worth talking to operators with remote bases though, like Chartair, you'd have practically no chance of a start in Darwin, but you might get a remote gig with a move to Darwin some time later.

No idea what it's like there now, all I know is most of the companies I was familiar with have folded.

Band a Lot
7th Sep 2016, 04:58
Agree not many actually start in Darwin but a Darwin operators out posts (hiring is done from Darwin generally).

1,000 hrs if you appear to have a non fit in character, 250 hrs if good back ground and attitude is enough in cases (depend insurance).

Expect singles for a start job - twins maybe a long way off - but not always.

Yes many folded companies, but same still applies - if you get on well with others working in the Darwin aviation industry, they influence who gets jobs (they talk).

Many like wet season flying experience - second best is proof of just living through a build up and a wet.

cramjet
12th Oct 2016, 00:21
Hi all,

Long time reader first time contributor!

Over the last 6-7 years I have managed to forge a successful career outside of aviation and fortunately I am now in a position where I can take the plunge into the unknown chasing a role within the aviation industry. With a freshly minted CPL/MECIR/250TT and some 200 series time under the belt I will be hitting the road up the Stuart and across the Great Northern on the hunt for that elusive first flying job. There has been some great blogs of others that have done the trip and I will be looking at sharing my story also!

I have a 'hitlist' if you like of CP's at all the low time potential employers and I will be planning on moving to a location and hanging out rather than a fleeting resume dump. Don't mind a beer so if there are a few of you in the same boat shoot me a PM.

Hopefully see some of you guys/gals on the road early in the new year!

The Green Goblin
8th Feb 2017, 12:52
Start networking boys. Knowing who's who and who's where and who's got what is crucial.

Be prepared to drive for days on a whim with half a sniff of a job on the breeze.

All the guys who I started with are flying something decent. Who stuck it out anyway. It may be a year, it may be ten. Everyone who persists seems to get there at some point.

perth.pilot
8th Feb 2017, 20:25
It maybe worth hitting up someone in Darwin or Emkaytee, Bachelor etc like the Flight Advantage mob. I believe they have a 210 'starter' pack that includes some hours in a C210 and some very good theory and practical training. It maybe better than flying to Perth for it.

Enjoy the journey and keep at it. I had a ball up in that part of the world trying to get my first job!

cramjet
9th Feb 2017, 04:52
G'day Cramjet,

I'm up here as well, arrived here in Darwin just over a week ago. Set up camp, got some good paying work in my usual industry, and here to wait it out! Everybody I speak to all ask the same question, "Do you have any 200 series time..." which I don't so that is hurting me a bit. Planning on heading over to Perth next weekend to private hire a 210 and do some time in that to boost the old resume. Seems like things are picking up up here as the flow on effect is starting to trickle down into the GA sector so hopefully score something soon. If you're here in Darwin or if anybody else is up here then feel free to get in contact would be great to catch up for a beer.

JeffR,
Just completing my CIR, will be up there in a few weeks. I have some 200 series time in the bag so hopefully won't be too much of an issue for me. Good to hear its promising up there! I've heard BME is a bit quiet at the moment with Kim Av. going under and surplus pilots. Definitely catch up for a beer when I get up there! Best of Luck on the hunt! Cheers :ok:

mcgrath50
9th Feb 2017, 21:40
There sure is movement all over the Territory. Don't be afraid to get out of Darwin, especially if you have less than ~400 hours.

Read through the hints and tips found here and on various operators websites. If they say dress in a pilots shirt, a suit or a pink tutut do exactly what they say, then change for the next operator. If they say they want a one page resume or a call first or to come in at a certain time, for god sake do what they say. Don't rock up and say "I say you wanted this but I just thought i'd do something else". If you can't follow simple instructions found online, how can the operator be sure you will follow SOPs in the ops manual??

There's never been a better time to be a job hunting pilot! Have fun!

thelunchbox
10th Feb 2017, 22:49
Grab yourself a lunchable snack pack and speak to gumbys, aaa charter, ntairwork, Helimuster or marthakal before you spend you lunch money.

perth.pilot
10th Feb 2017, 22:55
Hey Perth.Pilot, yeah I've spoken to the guys at flight advantage, not sure how much the pilot starter pack is but they want 650 an hour to hire a 210 dual only. I've got a guy in Perth who private hires his 210 for $400 an hour wet, 1 hour with an instructor, 1 hour with himself and solo after that. so if I'm to do 5+ hours it works out more cost effective to go to perth even with the price of flights.

Yeah fair enough! I think I know the plane your talking about in Perth. Enjoy the trip and flying... Nice area to fly around WA.

Left 270
11th Feb 2017, 06:52
I would suggest you would learn a great deal of good info if you did it with them In Darwin. No good "having 200 series time" if you can't fly the aeroplane properly.

The Green Goblin
11th Feb 2017, 07:41
Better off flying it where you're going to fly it and learn the area. Hell you may even get a job out of it.

Capt Fathom
11th Feb 2017, 10:18
Is there something unique about 200 series Cessnas?

Band a Lot
11th Feb 2017, 10:43
Yes SID,s

Try Batch from Darwin, Meat Bombs or Morto.

Captain Nomad
11th Feb 2017, 11:26

An extra 2 pots on the engine and at least an extra 2 seats in the cabin compared with what a lot of new pilots have usually flown previously.
The art of trimming also becomes vital rather than just a novelty...!

andmiz
28th Apr 2017, 02:36
I've got an initial assessment flight tomorrow with one of the local charter companies up here. Don't suppose anybody could shed some light on what I could possibly expect? I was told to expect something along the lines of a GFPT but I'm sure they'll throw in a few curve balls. Cheers.

J

Sequences to examine your situational awareness, manual handling, decision making, confidence and airmanship. Think: circuits, forced landing, steep turns, general area familiarisation, radio work etc.

Best of luck.

Capt Fathom
28th Apr 2017, 12:14
Maybe less time on pprune and your iPad may not have gone flat? :E

Paper charts anyone!:hmm:

Ex FSO GRIFFO
29th Apr 2017, 02:47
Aye Aye Capt.

I may be 'an ole fart', but never had a paper chart 'go flat' yet......
(Like, where's ya backup son...)

Cheers:ok:

Left 270
29th Apr 2017, 06:17
I wouldn't ever bring out an iPad for a VFR check flight!! If you don't have/can't get the required charts they would normally be happy to lend them, or in my case once I was given them.

Flying Bear
29th Apr 2017, 09:03
Jeffr87

Good on you for your candid summary of your flight!

But yeah, several avoidable errors there - hope you get a positive outcome regardless, but certainly some learning points there for yourself and others about to be in the same situation.

iPad for a check flight? Although I embrace the technology, it just doesn't look good when your complete reliance on it gets exposed when it fails...

In my experience, many junior pilots these days avoid paper charts because they don't know how to use them!!

Sadly, the art of map reading is disappearing and magenta following children are on the rise...

Duck Pilot
30th Apr 2017, 09:18
There is now a flying school in Darwin who could help fresh CPLs get themselves up to a suitable competency level for a flight check.

Leave the iPad at home!

Sounds like you've blown the check ride.

DeltaRomeo650
16th Jul 2017, 01:45
Out of interest do most of the operators use EFBs or paper? or is it pilot preference?

Duck Pilot
5th Dec 2017, 05:34
Jeff, Upshot is that you will always be prepared in the future and that can only be a good thing. Seen a few experienced pilots blow their prospects due to not being prepared for interviews and check flights. Whilst the employment environment is now good for pilots, operators will not make exceptions for pilots who aren’t prepared to put the hard yards in, particularly up north, as it’s a tough environment.

It doesn’t get any easier climbing the ladder!!! I had a massive blowout a few years ago on a checkride that changed my career, was ugly and very painful at the time however I’ve bounced back 10 fold since that experience.

The Wawa Zone
16th Dec 2017, 15:17
Always be prepared for ICUS with a dog who turns off your electronics and makes you do DR nav all day at 500' AGL just like in the Wet.
All day :)
At 500' AGL :)

YPDN
12th Apr 2018, 02:39
Afternoon all,

Any updates on employment ops in Darwin, seems pretty quiet around town, have done the resume drop a few times and everyone appears full. Even part-time or casual work would suit, but nothing!

Leads anyone?

VH-RME
3rd Sep 2018, 02:46
Getting ready to head up north for the first time - is this the wrong time of year? I know wet season is starting, but is it worth heading up and chancing it anyways?

Duck Pilot
3rd Sep 2018, 11:42
Get out of your comfort zone and come up!

I know it’s a hard decision, but trust me if you want to do it, you will certainly get what you want!

There will always be jobs, if you need some advice and who to talk to PM me.

PPRuNeUser0184
4th Sep 2018, 08:01
Getting ready to head up north for the first time - is this the wrong time of year? I know wet season is starting, but is it worth heading up and chancing it anyways?

Many years ago I packed my belongings into my trusty Camry and drove to Darwin just after the new year. I had 1000hours and no Cessna high wing time. All instructing in PA28s. Had never seen a wet season.. Did the rounds, got a job in a petrol station and then got a phone call for some casual work with a very good Darwin operator (who still exists today). The rest is history. No perfect time. Just get up there and get stuck in.

Eddie Dean
5th Sep 2018, 05:36
[QUOTE=KZ Kiwi;10240928]
What NZ Kiwi said.
Throw your hat over the fence and just go with it.

FWIW Cheers

Corvallis
5th Sep 2018, 08:41
i would recommend doing a charter course at a flight school based at Darwin airport. If u are a 200 hr pilot.

Corvallis
5th Sep 2018, 08:43
treat the course as a job interview

Ck.
15th Sep 2018, 21:49

I went up recently ( a few months ago, nearing end of dry season) and found the longer you stayed in a location and let yourself known to the operators, the better the chances of getting a job.
And there is a never a wrong time of the year to go up, you’re never going to know unless you tried.

Pm me if you need any advice.

You can’t use the Private Messaging system, add url links or images until you have an established posting history.

wobblymammall
26th Dec 2018, 08:16
Hi all, currently a flight instructor/charter pilot based in South Aus. Thinking of making the move to Darwin and just after some feedback on my chances of getting a decent gig based out of Darwin with 700 total 100 of which is multi. I understand that I won’t know until I go and find out myself but some feed back on how things are up their at the moment for someone with that kind of time would be great!

WannaBeBiggles
26th Dec 2018, 21:30
Those sort of hours should get you a look in with Hardys.

Chartair were also looking for drivers, not sure what their numbers are like right now.

Otherwise all the other operators would be worth a crack too.

Not a massive amount of movement at present, but let the new year and the airline hiring spree start up again and you'll be in good stead with those hours :ok:

nickgg
2nd Jan 2020, 00:12
Hi all,

I've got heaps out of this forum over the past couple of years during my training and I'm now in a position to make my own move up North. I'm a fresh-ish CPL/MECIR with 240TT and 5 hours Cessna 205 time (but in the process of adding to this). I'm planning to arrive in Darwin at the beginning of Feb to start my search for that elusive first job. I appreciate it's more than likely to be remote but I'm planning on basing myself there, continuing with my existing non-flying job, getting to know the local operators and driving to Katherine, Jabiru, etc. to get to know the operators there. I've come to flying a bit later in life so have a few years of non-flying work experience which I'm hoping might be helpful to some.

Any advice and feedback on here or via PM would be hugely appreciated and likewise would be happy to grab a beer in Darwin too.

Cheers

Jerr
4th Jan 2020, 08:10
Hey Nick

Good luck, on the way up to Darwin would be worthwhile checking out William Creek, Marree, Alice Springs.

A good mate of mine got his first job at William Creek, 2 years later was in Darwin, a year later Alice Springs, now F/O at Qlink.

Safe flying

JERR

spektrum
4th Jan 2020, 09:06
first job at William Creek, 2 years later was in Darwin, a year later Alice Springs, now F/O at Qlink.

Well wasnt that all a waste of time.

Karunch
5th Jan 2020, 03:33
Well wasnt that all a waste of time.

Hard to tell if that was said in jest spektrum. Those first 3 years will likely be the most memorable & formative of a 30 year career. Qlink & mainline not so much.

Nominal
9th Jan 2020, 23:53
I'm in a somewhat similar position, however I'm considering doing an FIR prior to leaving. Will this be of use to any of the operators up North? My initial plan was too instruct and then eventually make my way up into charter.

WannaBeBiggles
10th Jan 2020, 04:08
I'm in a somewhat similar position, however I'm considering doing an FIR prior to leaving. Will this be of use to any of the operators up North? My initial plan was too instruct and then eventually make my way up into charter.

Nope, non. Unless you have META or something of the like.

Operators up here need someone who they can trust with their aircraft and that can handle themselves when things don't go to plan; such as too many (or no) pax showing up, or someone trying to take too much stuff with them or something going wrong with the plane and not have a nervous breakdown because there's no mobile reception to call someone else to make a decision for you.

IMHO, save your money, get you instrument rating and if you've already done that and really want to burn more cash, get some time on a 200 series. If you already have all that, save the cash for your trip and accommodation to keep you in a place as long as possible while you wait for that first job, and more importantly beer! :E

Duck Pilot
10th Jan 2020, 05:36
Disagree, do your FIR in Darwin. There is a school up there who will make you work for a Real FIR opposed to obtaining a sausage factory produced one!

Owned and managed by a few highly experienced pilots who know exactly what is required with regards to training and career development of pilots.

Capt Fathom
10th Jan 2020, 09:28
FIR ?

Are you guys discussing an Instructors Rating or an Instrument Rating?

Duck Pilot
10th Jan 2020, 09:53
Flight Instructors Rating (FIR), modern world terminology - CASA Part 61.

bloodandiron
7th Mar 2022, 09:43
Anyone in Broome or Kunnas at the moment looking for work?