PDA

View Full Version : Homebuilt Aerobat

Careca
27th Jul 2009, 17:00
Dear All

I’m looking for some options in the Homebuilt Aerobat aircraft market. Until now I’m more inclined towards monoplanes (sorry Pitts guys) but I would like to hear your opinions.

The l@ser Z200 or the One Design both seems to be good choices, but I’m also considering the l@ser Z2300.

Here are my considerations:
-CHEAP!!! (I’m a bit budget tight!!)
-Easy to build and with proven materials
-Good aerobatic performance without being some sort of widow maker
-Must use an O-360 engine or smaller
-2 seats would be nice… the lady boss would like that
-Good base for further improvements

Now it’s your turn… give me your opinions!

Cheers

Rod1
27th Jul 2009, 17:46
How about a CR100?

Dyn Aero CR100 aerobatic aircraft (http://www.lts-limited.co.uk/cr100.php)

Rod1

It flies
27th Jul 2009, 18:25
How about the Vans RV-3 (single seater) and RV-4 (tandem seater)? They seem to fit your criteria.

Have a look at this video to get some idea what they can do. Just look away when the Pitts comes into view. :)

YouTube - Aerobatics, Formation, Dogfight, Aerobatic Pitts v RV4 II (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6peATBuy0t0)

I haven't flown them myself so I can't comment on the flying qualities.

18greens
27th Jul 2009, 20:05
Great video. That Pitts is gorgeous. You've made me want one again.(I thought I was cured)

Genghis the Engineer
27th Jul 2009, 20:55
Rans S10 is aerobatic, cheap, and LAA approved (not sure if there's a current UK importer or not, but I'm sure you can find out or bypass that problem without too much trouble.)

G

Mark 1
27th Jul 2009, 22:36
Don't underestimate the building task.
If all you want to do is fly and you view building as a means to that end, then you'll probably give up before completion.

A used RV-4 can usually be had for less than the cost of building, will be capable of aero's upto intermediate, if you want to compete, and will also be a capable touring machine, if a bit load limited.

They also have the advantage of being relatively docile handling tailwheel aircraft and very well proven.

Careca
28th Jul 2009, 08:52
Thanks for your inputs!

First I would like to say that for me building the aircraft will be part of the fun, not as a mean to achieve an end.

I've worked some years with Dyn'Aero in the MCR family parts fabrication and assembly and I can say for sure that the CR100 is not an easy aircraft to assemble and is somewhat expensive because of all the carbon fiber parts… although it’s a really nice aerobatic/touring option and a two seater (we can’t forget our better half).

I’ve worked also with Zenithair assembling the CH601 for the European market and have been following the Vans RV family for a while. Aluminium aircraft assembling is easy but quite lengthy if you want to make it right. But I agree that the RV-4 is a great option.

The Rans S10 may be cheap but I think it’s too limited, especially if one thinks about progressing to competition.

So we have:

CR100 – Wood and composite
RV-4 – Aluminium
Laser 200 (2300) – Tube, Aluminium, composite and fabric

What else is out there? :}

Rod1
28th Jul 2009, 09:22
Rans distributor is;

Home (http://www.sky-craft.co.uk)

Not sure the S10 is still available.

Rod1

Zulu Alpha
28th Jul 2009, 18:01
THese are very different aircraft.

CR100 – Wood and composite
RV-4 – Aluminium

These are tourers that can do aerobatics .

Laser 200 (2300) – Tube, Aluminium, composite and fabric

The Z200 is an out and out aerobatic machine with symetrical wing. Not easy to tour with as it doesn't fly straight and level.

It depends what you want to do The Laser is much better at aeros the other two are much better at touring.

I don't think there is a Z2300 flying yet

ZA

A_Pommie
29th Jul 2009, 09:56
Only one seat but what about the silence twister?

Careca
29th Jul 2009, 13:01
The aircraft I’m looking for is something like the Acro 100 (- ACRO 100 - Aerobatics in Germany (http://www.acro100.de/) ) and the reasons are also about the same… I would like to do some serious aerobatics (maybe competitive) without having to sell a kidney! Touring should not be a problem, Portugal is so small that every trip is more like a jump.

The One Design also seems very interesting, especially the MSW Aviation kit… but the prices :{

I think there are some Z2300 already flying, although I can’t seem to find any information about the type handling.

The Silence Twister is also expensive and is not a dedicated aerobat, but it sure looks good!

The Cassidy Kid
3rd Aug 2009, 09:53
I think the Z2300 that is flying is the prototype, which is a rebel with a new wooden wing. Don't quote me on that though, the info out there is a little vague. I'm sure if you emailed Devin York at York aircraft he could shed some light on the subject.

You might find this webpage interesting, comparison of some currently available designs. :ok:

Why the Pitts S1-SS ? Pitts S1-SS (http://incendio.co.nz/pitts/blog/?page_id=4)