PDA

View Full Version : AAA San diego JAA PPL

thebdct
23rd Jul 2009, 13:22
Hi,
I'm looking to find out more info about American Aviation Academy (ex Anglo American Aviation, I suppose) in San Diego, Gillespie Field. Is the school approved to train international students? Are they apporoved to release full JAA PPL license? If you have any recent experience with that FTO, please reply.

Thanks in advance,
Thomas

Blue Albatross
23rd Jul 2009, 13:43
Hi Thomas,

I got my PPL there, and can only advise anyone to avoid the place with the proverbial barge pole.

Last I heard from friends who are based on the field, the new AAA still use the same fleet as the old AAA, which was prone to squawk after squawk and in very condition.

There were some great instructors there, but sadly they're paid so little that the good ones eventually get jobs with the airlines (mine did shortly after I got my licence) so there's a high staff turnover, and no consistency with regards standard operating procedures.

Like I said, they're reportedly flying same old tired spam cans and as unprofessional as before. My advise is to pick someone else.

thebdct
23rd Jul 2009, 14:14
Hi Blue Albatross,
thank you so much for the advice :ok:. So, which is the best place to get the JAA PPL in the USA? :confused: At the end, the choiche is between OFT, EFT, NAC and OBA, isn't it?

Thanks

MAXTHRUSTV1
24th Jul 2009, 00:17
i would go to OBA its where i got my JAA PPL no complaints C150 a bit crap but so is every school i have been to in the USA! I did hour building at fly AAA and nothing wrong with the planes just old. The operation of the place is a complete mess and i would never go back for that reason. They changed the name of the school because they were busted from the ICE authorities for not issuing the correct paperwork for indian students so beware and choose florida!

MAX

IO540
24th Jul 2009, 09:44
I have no experience of the 7 or so US schools which can do the JAA PPL but I gather that nowadays they are mostly sausage factories, processing large numbers of students from India and such.

This approach suits some people and not others.

But they can't be useless etc. The checkrides are done by examiners who are pretty strictly regulated (in the US mainland, anyway).