PDA

View Full Version : De-confliction

green granite
20th Jul 2009, 19:41
Watching 'Air Medics' which is about the work of the Great North Air Ambulance. A thought occurred to me as they flew around the hills and valleys of the Lake District and Northumberland at low level, how do they de-conflict with fast pointy things doing the same thing, bearing in mind they go at a moments notice and even if they told the low-level cell it would be too late to pass onto an aircraft already in the system?

VinRouge
20th Jul 2009, 20:02
TCAS?

Fast pointy things will be squalking Mode 3C, so should show up if they are equipped.

Otherwise, sticking to >500' AGL is a good idea. Fast pointy things will whizz below, and TBH, they should be doing this anyway to comply with the ANO.

Ewan Whosearmy
20th Jul 2009, 20:17
Otherwise, sticking to >500' AGL is a good idea. Fast pointy things will whizz below,

Not all fast pointy things are allowed to go below 500' AGL. Take the F-15Es from Lakenheath as an example: their USAFE regs prohibit anything below 500', so most of the time they are between that and 1,000' AGL.

So, I don't think that staying above 500' is a particularly solid bet!

High_Expect
20th Jul 2009, 20:44
Effective :eek: You can't mitigate all risks. At the end of the day flying is inherently risky. This is why I’m angered when I see GA traffic at <1000ft…. there is just no need (excusing the obvious) help us and yourselves and fly at a sensible height. :ugh:

green granite
20th Jul 2009, 20:44
Fast pointy things will whizz below, and TBH, they should be doing this anyway to comply with the ANO

Bear in mind they often have to land in remote places to evacuate the casualty so have to be passing through that level anyway.

gashman
20th Jul 2009, 21:55
even if they were to warn into the low flying system (a military only process), all we get as users of the LFAs is a warning that there is going to be "mixed traffic" in the areas we have booked into. It's a stats gathering exercise to help us justify using the LFAs, not a deconfliction system. As soon as you get below safety alt, it is a mainly visual exercise, pointing the radar somewhere sensible if you have one (though rarely focusing on the scope unless that is your main job as a nav/WSO). Eyes out peeps.

rata2e
20th Jul 2009, 23:30
Open FIR guys, see and be seen. Below 1000' isn't mil only territory just as much as final approach tracks to civie airports aren't only for civie aircraft. As for "Fast pointy things will be squalking Mode 3C", not always the case, would help if they did. Greatest worry for them should be the Tucs, whoever thought fitting them with TCAS was a good idea?

mugwuffin
21st Jul 2009, 05:42
TDAs? or maybe thats only the multi car pile up.

Notmyreallogin
21st Jul 2009, 09:12
What's wrong with Tucano TCAS?

NMRL

Rote_8
21st Jul 2009, 09:24
I thought that TCAS automatically went from TA/RA to TA only below 1000' (does anybody know any types where it doesn't?)
Therefore, below 1000' you'll have SA of the other type, but since you are both LL, both (I would expect) would want to pull up to avoid = Potential for collision.
Perhaps a rule whereby <1000' RW could descend and FW could climb?
(However, this only allows for dissimilar types)
Suggestions??

Bob the Doc
21st Jul 2009, 09:53
Of the two East Mids Air Ambulances, one has TCAS (G-MEDS) and the other (G-WNAA) does not. Just have to keep a good lookout!

MightyGem
21st Jul 2009, 20:41
RW could descend
In close encounters with fast jets, I would always go down, safe in the knowledge that they wouldn't.

ShyTorque
21st Jul 2009, 22:14
There's a joke about fast women in there somewhere...

MightyGem
21st Jul 2009, 23:24
Also, the sort of TCAS carried by Police helicopters, and probably the Air Ambulances, is not 100% reliable. Targets will appear in false positions at times and also disappear then reappear. Plus, it's for info only, it doesn't offer any avoidance advice.