PDA

View Full Version : Point and Power Approaches ?

speedbird001
10th Jul 2009, 11:21
Hi All,

Just started my CPL with a great CPL Instructor but I'm having a little trouble finding more about the Point & Power Approach technique this school uses.

I've only had one lesson so far and to be honest I felt a little overwhelmed by it, i've had a good search and found little bits on it but as i'm not seeing my Instructor for a few days i would like to brush up on it before i back.

Also is it normal to feel a little out of sorts initially when starting the CPL course ? Like i said i've only had one day on it but as a marker and for self appraisal how long does it take before students hit the board running so to speak ??

Cheers

SB001

CAT3C AUTOLAND
10th Jul 2009, 16:27
Hello mate.

Firstly you are not alone to feel a little overwhelmed by what you are embarking on, however you must remember that you are at the bottom of the ladder. When you have finished you CPL course, you will be in the groove at the top of the ladder and ready for test, so dont worry about it. You will feel like this throughout your flying career. It will happen when you start you IR, then a type rating, then line training, etc.

Obviously there are many ways to skin a cat with regard to what you are talking about. I used to show students both techniques when landing, then leave it up to them, and told them to use what ever technique they were comfortable with. When you are taught on your PPL, most instructors will teach pitch for speed and power for rate of descent, which isnt strictly true, due to the fact if you change one you have to change the other, however, for the initial parts of your training, I think it may be for ease of learning. When it comes to your IR, and you are flying instrument approaches you will most likely be taught the reverse, pitch for rate of descent and power for speed. However the same applies, you change one you must the change the other.

All the best with your CPL, enjoy it.

speedbird001
11th Jul 2009, 10:20
Hi Mate,

Many thanks for the reply etc, I thought I was an half decent Pilot till the start of my CPL course :rolleyes:

Like I said I've only had one lesson that was around 2 hours flying, I feel I've made the right choice in the school I've picked as I said the instructor who I've got seems really switched on and I do genuinely feel that I can only benefit from flying with him, but as I got in to the cockpit it was as if I knew nothing and like learning to fly all over again, just couldn't do anything right, first day nerves or because of a new type of A/C I'd not flown before I'm not sure.

I suppose like you said above all enjoy it, I just hope I can raise the standard as the bar seems quite high at the minute.

Thanks again for the reply

SB001