PDA

View Full Version : Chances of finding a private owner in the West Midlands?

rhythm08
5th Jul 2009, 09:11
Hi Guys

Just curious to see if anyone has any advice on the best way to go about finding a private owner that I could rent a plane from dry. I'm looking to hour build towards CPL and willing to travel if the rate is right.

I presume finding a private owner isn't the easiest of things to do!

Would there be implications with insurance, as I obviously don't have over 100 hours etc.

Anyway, if anyone has any advice on hour building, finding aircraft owners, or even someone who did hour build this way. Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

fernytickles
6th Jul 2009, 02:36
Hmmm - don't want to put anyone down for using their initiative, but... try looking at your idea this way...

Lets say in a few years time, after much saving and putting pennies to one side, you own a Cub/Cessna 182/etc. You pay an insurance rate based on your hours and accident (or, hopefully lack thereof) record. You keep it well maintained and use it for your own private travel for pleasure.

Someone comes to you, with relatively low hours, and says "Can I put 100+/- hours on your plane so that I can build hours?". So, that will put your plane 100+/- hours closer to tbo, increase the insurance somewhat, increase the maintenance costs, mean that the possibly plane isn't available when you need it.

Asides from that, renting would come under a commercial operation, so unless you abide by the proper CAA regs, it is illegal, which will negate the insurance.

I'd recommend either researching the option of buying a share and use that to hour build, or renting. I think buying a share is potentially cheaper, others on here would advise you better on that.